Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, June 4, 2022

June 4, 2022

Yesteryear
One year ago today: June 4, 2021, POTATOES Day.
Five years ago today: June 4, 2017, Early cabin news.
Nine years ago today: June 4, 2013, twenty $1 bills.
Random years ago today: June 4, 2011, this radio never worked.

           Home alone, all day. Here’s some pets on the rug out in the back porch, representative of how I hope this days goes. I got to playing some guitar but this stupid millennial computer cannot be made to play audio. I suppose there’s a way, but dealing with these millenials is exasperating. My music lists have played for years on Win XP, but the same files screw up on Win 10. Click on your list there, and the damn thing doesn’t play the song, it highlights the entire list and presumes you are in a frenzy to change the titles to all caps. Where do they even? I got through a single set, zeroing in on having as best I can a different guitar strum for each. Like most weak guitarists, by the second verse I’ve found myself reverting to comping.
           But unlike them I can break this habit. The plan for now is to have enough material for two sets, in case I get an unresponsive crowd that might not take to the bass solo, or worse, if the bass solo bombs and I have to play out the set on guitar. My memory harks back to that old guy at the Riptide becaue I am now much closer to his age at the time. He did not give a damn how it sounded which was what saved him. He could barely play anything all the way through. But he was up there so gets honorable mention in my books.

           Too bad he was so otherwise unremarkable that I could not learn a lot. Him, I already play better than his odd strums, but that is where my aversion to playing “at the audience” kicks in. Another wee advantage is that I have more places to play. For him is was the Riptide or the Dania. Plus I’m not against playing for tips only—as a last resort. A hundred bucks plus tips sounds better, but I’ve run the numbers and it would be worth my while to play for as little as $50 because of my unsung (ha-ha) retirement formula. What, it slips your mind? No problem, I’ll remind you. In my position in life, if i get on stage I win three ways:

           1) I’m making money.
           2) People buy me drinks
           3) I’m not spending money.

           Don’t confuse the last two items, they are not the same. That 27-lb Fishman Solo PA is the ticket because I have the gear to turn it into a proper four input system. It [the original] comes with two jacks, one each of vocal and instrument. I want both the bass and guitar ready all the time, plus an in put for another singer. Where did I store that lame Beringer mixer, which would provide a fifth jack in case there was another guitar involved? This is now very likely, that I would invite anybody on stage. Why? Because I know my bass is stong enough to plow over any mistakes they make. Done it many a time. That, and while my vocals are not rave-able, I cannot be thrown by a wrong chord. On that spectrum, however, I can rarely play songs that have a change of key built in.
           If it stays reasonably cool, I’ll tackle that lawnmower. I actually have two, the nice self-driving Honda and the Bolsen(?) that will not fire. The Reb left early so the doggies and I, along with the turtle, spent a nice morning in the yard getting things ready. Lem called to say he’s got most of the afternoon off. We collected phone and email info, as a lot of this type of engine troubleshooting can be done that way. Finally, I meet someone who knows how to set up a smart phone, and he is an non-millennial as you can get. Turns out Google cannotbe removed from my phone (aha, I was right) and there is no non-Google system available for it. Fortunately, I had succeeded in turning everything off

Picture of the day.
Denmark, such a tiny country.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           It got hot, so we loaded up two mowers and took them to Lem’s shop. These are the two problem mowers, which I failed to get running, but I had correctly diagnosed so do I get credit for effort?. First was that Honda, and it was a manual choke that could not be modified to the existing configuration—and the carb kit was not otherwise available. So Lem rigged up a manual choke, we replace the carb and the thing now runs like a charm. It is self-powered, an important feature for the Reb. It was jammed so it would not reverse, but a few minutes of cutting real law and it freed itself up. Look’s like she’s got herself a $500 mower.
           Additionally, I’ve learned a bit about matching lawns to mowers, and The Reb only needs a ligtt electric model. Those are simplicity defined, your main challenge is cutting the whole lawn with one charge or you are stuck buying a second battery. That is always a hassle. Lem says the yard here is right-sized for an electric, or I should say battery model. I’ll bounce it off the Reb. She does not care for electrics, which means needing a 100’ electric cable. The one in the shed.

           Then we went after that mower that would not spark. I took most of it apart y’day, and stopped where I was not certain how to proceed. This time, Lem took off the upper housing to expose some of the parts and wiring. It’s simple in configuration and knowing what to test for is everything. I essentially got a tour of the electric system and sure enough, it was the spark plug, the one item I could not test here without some way to clamp the plug. A quick replacement and we had another mower. I learned about oil-soak air filters and how to rotate the motor with an electric drill. That’s from no mowers to four in a week for the Reb. If I can fit one in the van, I’ll take it home. I talked to JZ, who same as myself, never got to learning this type of mechanical work. He’s convinced we’ll make a fortune repairing “industrial chainsaws”. But, but, JZ, would not a place with those saws already have their own repair shop?

           [Author’s note: the chainsaw idea goes back a long ways. JZ used to get them at pawn shops and run them till they quit. What he means is ordinary homeowners who buy these saws and do the same thing. I asked Lem if the process was the same for testing such saws and he said pretty much identical. JZ figures enough of these saws get chucked to make a dollar at it. I see his point, but think it should be him who proves it. I don’t recall ever seeing an abandoned saw, although I know plenty of people who have non-working specimens.]

           The treat for today was a radio, donated by Lem. What’s unique enough about that to make the blog? Easy, all so-called modern radios lack a very important ancient feature. There should be a law commanding it be put back. It is theability to remain on when commercial power goes out. Nowadays you have to go over and turn the radio back on (we are ignoring backup battery supply, which causes other problems. No, I mean the good old-fashioned radio that comes back on by itself when power is restored. Lem had one and now it’s going in the cabin kitchen in Florida on a timer.
           That’s correct, these type of radio can be connected to a timer. I’ll let you think through the advantage there over a “programmable” feature for this same thing. I had a newer radio in the kitchen before and got used to it needing new batteries a few times a year, always when you don’t have batteries, it seemed. This one, I program it for my very regular morning coffee and if it is not playing when I walk in, I know there’s been a power failure. If I was to design a radio today, I would include a switch position that accomplished this task.

ADDENDUM
           The woketards have come up with a new cover-up for vaccine deaths. Called the “Adult Sudden Death Syndrome”, it mocks the infant deaths from the original label. Biden announces a 9mm pistol will “blow the lungs” out of assailants has proven the best advertising for that caliber. It’s a lie, but thanks to Biden, the shops are selling them out. A new panic sets through the ranks of the Leftists. Iit is the GOP recruiting poll watchers from the white suburbs. A reporter from Politco (Heidi Przybyla) has obtained “evidence” that white poll workers will show up on election day and report suspicious activity in minority districts.
           She is deeply concered that some of the white poll workers may “target” heavily Democrat-voting districts. Some whites, she warns, have actually taken positions which administer said elections. What’s more ominous, says Przybyla she “heard” is that some of these whites believe there was fraud in the 2020 election and intend to stop that fraud from happening again. Isn’t this an interesting turn of events? Few things infuriate the bad guys more than turning their own tactics against them.
           Rumor has it some of the poll workers may be, as Heidi puts it, “right-leaning lawyers”. America loves the smell of Democrat panic in the morning. I remind the reader I am not political, but I detest liberals and anybody who does not detest liberals, which has nothing directly to do with politics. Liberalism is social cancer. not a political persuasion--although some greedy people strive to blur this difference.

Last Laugh