Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, July 18, 2022

July 18, 2022

Yesteryear
One year ago today: July 18, 2021, the EcoFlow examination.
Five years ago today: July 18, 2017, some bedroom wiring.
Nine years ago today: July 18, 2013, a few motorcycle habits.
Random years ago today: July 18, 2004, Andromeda, heading this way.

           Is that 1980-ish tune by Human League, “Don’t You Want Me” having some sort of revival? I can’t find a station not playing it too many times a day. The lyrics are meaningless to me and way too many instruments for a rock song. I get the song’s message but it could also be interpreted as why men go after the young pretty ones. If you are nothing but her stepping stone, do it before she weighs over 110. This morning was ideal and I was out there from 7:00 until just before noon. If you see any photos today, they are probably unrelated and plugged in here afterward just for show. Hey, unlike other blogs, I tell you up front. Besides, I’ve learned some about taking pictures and you can get it from context. Later, this picture shows the carb removed and that is the engine intake port. It still won’t start.
           Some work was accomplished. I fixed the flashing, painted the awnings and managed to reinforce the wood railing all several bird feeders hang from. This wised me up painting is no longer a plan for me. I can raise my arms enough to do a swath, but can’t keep them there comfortably. Same as y’day, it means up and down the ladder just too many times. Then the rain. I stayed inside for a bake-fest. Muffins, biscuits, nutmeg yellow cake, and a tray of cookies. The place certainly smells like home.

           The chain saw challenge remains. I see now it is not getting the fuel mixture and that sponge looking thing has to be checked. Right when I’m not feeling up to it. Maybe a coffee and an hour of Horatio Hornblower will improve my gumption. Why not, since I ain’t moving unless it does. He’s on shore at half pay since there’s not war and it’s a display of how few officers have anything else they can do for a living, both then and now.
           Later, I cannot find the articles on fake firewood. Huh, what’s fake wood? There are a variety of ways to make cheap wood smell better. The one I saw was a guy with a long driill bit making holes in logs. Then inserting a stick of cedar incense. Another clever dude had a syringe to inject hickory smoke flavoring, or he soaked kindling in a similar solution. Other than soot and sparks, most undesirable wood has the quality of smelling bad. I know that maple trees smell like whatever they were growing next to when burned. Stay away from the septic tank.

Picture of the day.
Laser cut shapes.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Tea and biscuits, while Hornblower says goodbye to the landlady’s daughter, who has the hots for him. Ladies, never go out with a man who is prettier than you are. At least by the Napoleonic wars, the navy has learned to put their hats on right. I don’t recall if I recorded it, but I did take some sailing lessons back in the hey-day of my career. Most of the crew is there for labor. I recognize them working the sails on the bigger ships and I’d pass on that. Kudos to whoever worked out the correct way to coordinate all that canvas.
           See, I already found you a picture. This shows the entire tool kit I use right now for cleaning pallets. All fancier gear is unwieldy or unavailable. A hammer and some heavy duty pliers, which probably have a special name but mainly I know them because they cost me $19. Remind me to check the thrift later, Tuesday is often tool day—and remind me to get some extras like more cushions and pillow cases. This stuff isn’t cheap any more.

           It’s a boring stretch so I simultaneously mapped out how I’ll level the kitchen floor. Two stages, a rough and a fine. I’ll put a fourteen or sixteen foot 2x6 across the existing pylons and rise the floor from the outside until the interior is flat. Then raise it just enough to insert four new pylons. Then let it down to rest on five instead of three pressure points. This way it becomes a one-man operation.
           That left me and the radio, and it seems two events dominate the airwaves. Hobby Lobby, who I don’t care for because they put the real hobby store out of business, has apparently placed an ad that suggests America should be governed by Christians. And NPR is under a ton of backlash for created a “disinformation team”. Their job is to push the COVID narrative, deny the laptop evidence, push the election integrity, Rittenhouse is guilty, and push accusations against Trump. I think it may be NPR that winds up getting defunded.
           While other matters are more important, tomorrow I plan to clean the rest of the pallet lumber. It’s in the way. A stretch of 90+ weather every day awaits us, so do it now while at least the mornings are cool. Now, isn’t that a brilliant plan? The radio station I usually like is doing a week-long Motown festival and I’ve never cared for that music. Like blues and jazz, there’s a few individual tunes that are catchy but the bulk of it does not belong next to real music and you know what I’m talking about. This morning was hit after hit that I did not recognize. Nor do I care for the themes, so much of it is the same old “you’re rich I’m poor you owe me”.

           That 1985 movie, “King Solomon’s Mines” is one I’ve never watched entirely. To me, it’s the test movie for the “Indiana Jones” series without the special effects. And that’s likely to be the rest of my day. Except for a quick salad, and mashed with gravy and turkey slices. That’s the food portion of today’s post. Is it my mind playing tricks or does working with my arms raised (like when paining) tire me out just that much more. Say no, for I intend to play bass another 22 years.
           Things are quiet from the Webb telescope. SpaceX continues to launch a rocket every week or less. Crustacean shells show that sea level has not changed in 6,000 years. And somebody has finally published a book I suggested some 15 years ago, how to swear in all major languages. I wound up recently recycling 65 books, I know I said I’d list them but other things got in the way.

Last Laugh