Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, July 30, 2022

July 30, 2022

Yesteryear
One year ago today: July 30, 2021, Alabama morning.
Five years ago today: July 30, 2017, nothing under $69k.
Nine years ago today: July 30, 2013, browsing Boynton Beach.
Random years ago today: July 30, 2018, my best birdfeeder.

           A Welsh breakfast without the seaweed. This means a helping of pork and beans, a food that does not bother me like some. The only place around here that sells the small cans is Wal*Mart, you’d think with the recession it would be everywhere. Nope, I could not find any beans on these premises. The only food I have a rule against is baloney, so [I suppose] I just never bought any beans so long I’m out.
           This is the $16 connection that is going to make me crawl under the building again. The real Sharkbite™. It is wedged in place with the plastic line askew and worse, I cannot find the correct fitting to start with (but I will). There’s that $350 sitting in Winter Haven whenever I get off my butt to go get it.

           Here I am, 5:30AM and listening to diet advice on Tampa radio. They are on about getting Alzheimer’s and how to avoid it. I shun these studies that list common sense as the cure. I have a lifetime’s experience witnessing that there are two major types of memory, emotional and intellectual. My conclusion is that the more emotional the memory, the less capacity for learning. But greater intellectual capacity does not limit emotional memories. The major difference is learning memory has to be “filed” by the user and many people never master this.
           Or similar, they don’t master it soon enough in life and by the time they clue in, they’ve missed the boat. They spent the rest of their life dwelling on emotions because they have little choice. I listened to two programs and it’s bunk. I can tell you exactly how to get Alzheimer’s: smoke weed, watch TV, don’t exercise, learn nothing new, don’t read, and eat junk food.

           So China is moaning that if the US builds a chip factory, it will distort the global supply chain. Makes sense, the first time you hear of China being concerned about the globe is when it is in their favor. They’ve announced they will closely watch the project to protect their “legitimate rights”, like their right to reunite people who do not want to be reunited. It’s creepy how Australians rolled over and played dead and the government is now trying to promote tourism.
           The US may finally have a small nuclear reactor, factory built. I won’t follow the tale until there are specifics, but I don’t think this is the alternate thorium design. They are sticking with uranium for some reason. In the midst of a chip shortage, ahem, Intel announces it is losing money due to low demand.

Picture of the day.
Floating drydock & salvage.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Yep, we are going to do it. Wilford & I, the latest musical sensation of central Florida. We got over here at 2:00PM and ran through what at most would be twenty songs. That’s a combination of what we can already play plus tunes he can follow what I play on guitar. Add a few more that I can play, plus he knows two or three that he can solo but not sing. The goal is not what can be done well, but what can be done at all.
           Next we headed over to the place to meet the manager. Immediately I learned part of the problem. He pays by check. Most every Florida musician I’ve ever known would balk at that. I’m the only one I know that keeps proper records, for that matter. Talking to the guy for around 15 minutes, you quickly pick up that he’s experienced all the problems with bands that I’ve been joking about since I got to Polk. Too often the things clubs don’t like are items the musician thinks make no difference. I’m not sure but I think this pic from the Internet is the club because we took a promo picture in front of those beer taps in the far upper right corner. I think.

           Thus, despite we had no demos or disks, I picked up instantly that I’d been right on the annoyances and assured him we would not be selling tee shirts at stage-side or quit for a break just as a crowd walks in. It was a mild hoot to see him decompress when he realized I knew 100% what he goes through with the ones who are jerks. And, like myself, he does not care for entertainers who, no matter how slick, play at the crowd. He was rather amused to learn that somebody else was more than aware of the problem. If Wilford does a little homework, we might be able to fill a real market niche—the one I’ve been saying exists in this area for years.
           So, the deal is we play a short set tomorrow afternoon, which he understands is more of a practice for us. If they like it, and I can’t see how they won’t, we are in for next weekend. This marks just the fourth time I’ve been in that establishment in years but already I’ve seen the entertainment is usually a less than ideal mix for the generally older crowd. They are more like grandparents and anything newer than 1995 is stuff they listen to politely. Didn’t I tell you how one time I walked in and the band was Celtic revival or some shit like that. That was a real disconnect, yet technically that band would win awards.
           For clarity, this is the pub that I did not like the atmosphere. The servers have top-knots and hover, the tables are spaced for COVID, the craft beers are frightfully expensive, and as mentioned, don’t expect to meet any single women there.

           Having got that arranged, Wilford and I headed for downtown Bartow and stopped in for Karaoke. I’m mentioning this to demonstrate a point. On one hand I’ve concerned our show is too unrehearsed for the weekend, and yet a few miles away, we walk in and take over. How is this explainable? Simple. While we are far from professionals, we’ve had three practice sessions and that is three more than anybody else you’ll likely meet over there. Methinks on very short notice we are about to find out if any of these skills are transferable. (Actually, I have one concern, it is that the staff at the other place won’t like our show, I told you they were pushy.)

Last Laugh