Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, August 25, 2022

August 25, 2022

Yesteryear
One year ago today: August 25, 2021, millennial goof cafés.
Five years ago today: August 25, 2017, the years that counted.
Nine years ago today: August 25, 2013, one babe total.
Random years ago today: August 25, 2018 , so-o -o-o bad . . . .

           Hot or not, we go to work in the yard. I’ve got a decision to make about that cable pit. I heard them talking and they did not have to put it where I pile trash. Note this photo, it shows the soil around the pit is already collapsing, and that four-feet deep hole is enough to break an ankle. Do I pile trash in my own way, or leave it where I used to and which they saw before they started?
           I left the work, waiting for cooler weather. If the hot spell lasts long enough, you have to do the work anyway. Not as hot as things are getting for the Bidenistas. Trump endorsements across the board are winning at 98.4%. For vote cheating to work, the numbers have to be close enough for believability. This time there will be enough people watching to confirm the “Trump” vote that stuffing and harvesting will not work. You got it, I’m listening to Tampa gimp radio. Remember the Government Disinformation Board? It was abolished this morning. Double ha!

           Later, the day was not a loss. The clouds gathered and the thunderstorms commenced all around the horizon. But, it did not rain here. The odd sprinkle did not stop me from getting three cartloads of the remaining logs and trash onto the pile. Since the downpour could commence any time, I worked fast for over an hour and had no side effect. I went right along, doing the work without favoring myself, so that’s yet another milestone. Then another ten minutes taking the grass whip to the kudzu sprouts and that totals a good workout for a twenty-year-old. These days, I mean.

           This caused me to skip lunch so the next thing I’ve got a gigantic pot of spaghetti happening and a dollar store package of yellow cake mix in the oven. With added orange flavor and a dash of nutmeg. What else is orange? Here’s a small piece of the 5G cable, they left a mess of these things around, so, let’s put it through some tests. You know, the kind of tests needed if they get antsy about anything. Also, asking around, it was only the houses under $135,000 that got the big property re-evaluation. The more expensive houses got as little as a 10% increase. I won’t bitch because my annual taxes amount to less than a half-month’s rent, but I will not forget what the city just did.
           New York is fiddling with using tech to govern maximum speed on new cars. Once more I could not get started this morning. So I watched that 60 Minutes video where they interview the rich kid who made a movie about his friends. Quite frankly, I identify more with the rich boys and what they say than the point the tape is trying to make. In many areas the only thing I don’t have in common with these guys is that they never worked for [any of] it. Otherwise I agree with much of their outlook.

           Prime example, who would work a job if they did not have to? The topic is too broad to answer here, but a job is inimical to getting things done in life. I worked because I had to and too much of one’s existence is robbed by the way jobs are structured. When I finally was making enough money to enjoy life, there was so little time to do so. You have to pay up to keep a job like that. Maintaining the car I needed to get to work gobbled up 20% of my take-home pay. When you get off work Friday, you are regularly too tired to enjoy the money. It was not until much later in life that I can work when I want to. By definition, working when you want is not a job.
           The best part is, my work is skilled enough that I can work in one big stretch and then take the rest of the year off. These rich brats were the same but without ever doing the work part. I can identify with them. With money, you don’t have to put up with stupid people. And oddly, when you have money, you actually meet fewer gold-diggers because you tend to meet women who already have money. These guys are not maladjusted as is often portrayed, though I realize if they were bonkers, they’d not be in the documentaries. What’s more, they are very aware of their limitations.

           In my thinking, if I’d had money to stay in school, I’d likely still be there. Topics that still challenge me include navigation, electronics, cellular biology, and programming. I would love to study these things but they remain too expensive for both my hobby-like motivations and the time I have left. On the other hand, these rich guys don’t seem motivated in learning much of anything—they know when they lack the IQ and drop out fast. And that’s a talent, too.
           Before anybody goes off that I’ve blasted people who write about yacht trips and treasure hunts without telling where they got the money, you are wrong to connect things that way. I never said I wanted to know how much money they inherited. Never. What I said is absolutely different. I wanted to know how much the adventure cost. That’s an accounting question. And because these things cost more than ordinary people make for a living, I’d like to know the source of the money. Not once have I asked for the dollar amount of that, just a general description of the source.
           For clarity, I’ve never asked anyone how much they inherited. It’s not my business. However, if you write a book about sailing around the world, I think you should tell people roughly what it costs, including the sailboat, the food, and importantly, where you got such money. It’s okay to say it is inherited, or that you had a fancy government job, or you won the lottery. I’m off the hook on that because I don’t have any world-class expensive adventures. But I regularly say what costs are on my journeys and I derive 100% of my income from good investments and pensions I started when I was back in my mid-twenties. See, that was not so hard.

Picture of the day.
Carved wood garage door.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Unable to get real work done, I worked some spreadsheets and read more of the Hortt book. By now it is 1926, just before the hurricane, and I’ve seen much of the property he talks about selling. Some of the weird subdivisions of Ft. Lauderdale now make more sense. It depends on who bought the land, speculators or investors. Here’s a 1950 scene from the book, showing the waterfront along New River. At some point I’ve played or partied at every club around here. That riverboat in the lower right corner is very identical to the tour Wallace & I took around 14 years ago.
           Today, the area looks about the same as what you see, with a government office tower on the horizon to the right, and the bridge. The stories of his [Hortt’s] antics show that real estate was a more serious business back then. People who had the money for mortgages generally knew each other. It was not uncommon for an agent to travel to New York by train for paperwork or bank transfers. Most seemed to know which properties were mortgaged and for how much. It must have been a somewhat serious crime to sell real estate with out a license, even if you were the property owner.
           At about a third of the way through this book, Hortt is making enough money to settle down. His wife has arrived and being in the business, their house is on primo land. I can recommend this book as very interesting historical reading, but it does go on at length about who bought and sold what. Peppered with small passages about murders, robberies, and a death because a mechanic would not release a car until the bill was paid. I also vouch for the book as being unusual reading, which gets rarer each day on the Internet.

           That was JZ on the phone and nope, he won’t make it here soon. He’s in for a batch of medical tests, pretty routine. Then he’s off to the Bahamas for ten days or so, beachfront condo, private fishing boat, all that neat stuff most of us might dream of. He tends to call a day or two after I sent a letter with all the current news so that puts me on the spot. Anyway, he may visit Kissimmee shortly after that, which is not far from here but a terrible drive. With the approaching election, gas prices are dropping but still twice what they were under Trump. And that’s another thing, the people that study these things say there is a huge groundswell shift in American sympathies toward Trump which can only be explained by people switching parties.
           This is notable because a large chunk of the Democrat party consists of people who vote that way because they always have and another chunk because they hate Trump. If either of those groups have become disillusioned, changing parties is one of the few things that would explain this shift. To wrap up, there’s a photo of the recently cleared yard after a week. Those are some 60+ kudzu sprouts already up to a foot high. Any chemicals you try to use must be so strong as to kill anything else you put there. No sense pulling them up, the roots will grow from six feet underground.

ADDENDUM
           For those who don’t believe the evil that exists in the World Economic Forum, the World Health Organization, and the United Nations, watch this video about Poland. AHA - THE LINK DOESN'T WORK. These are people discussing the complete takeover and destruction of the Polish state. All quite legal, because like the USA, they control the legal system. I discovered later this link will not copy or paste and I lost the original during last day’s save operation. Interesting.

Last Laugh