Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, September 17, 2022

September 17, 2022

Yesteryear
One year ago today: September 17, 2021, red shed WIP.
Five years ago today: September 17, 2017, different worlds.
Nine years ago today: September 17, 2013, sports for retards.
Random years ago today: September 17, 2012, leaving Kansas.

           The pipes are cooling but I managed 43 solder joints on the faucet pipiing. It will be a miracle if it does not leak. I scorched some of the wood and at the final stage, had to force a few joints a bit, but I never burnt myself touching a hot pipe. Then right at the end, I discover that I have the wrong style of connecters. Screw the plumber who made those water lines in both male and female. This is the lack of standardization that has consequences. I need females or some kind of adapter. Again, up the klutz who designs things this way. I know, you’re supposed to know. That’s the attitude that makes him a klutz.
           It was me and Tampa radio for a few hours and the Democrats are in full panic mode. People know they were crooked but now it seems they had no idea. The way they are fighting to stop Trump goes well past their usual hoaxes, impeachments, and smear campaigns. It’s more like they are afraid if Trump gets in, somebody is going to tear the lid off the whole affair. I’ll drive downtown once the pavements are cool enough to walk on and find the pieces, plus don’t forget the straps. Wait, I remembered I have some nice nylon type.

           The job tired me and taught me a lot. Example, see this two junctions? The difference is the one on the right has a small collar around the middle. Now I know why. Nobody on line said anything, so here’s the scoop. If you really know what you are doing, the model on the left slips over both pipes and you solder it in one shot. What could go wrong? Suppose your pipes are not great long exposed models with the splice in the center, link all the views on-line. You may want to solder half, then slip the joint over the other end. I found myself doing this a lot because the supply of street pipes is unreliable. Street is the pipe and fixtures that are swaged, so you fit them together.
           The pipe with the collar will stop too much solder from entering the pipe. The lower panel shows what happens when capillary action draws the slightest too much. You get that blob of solder and the second piece won’t fit. If I replace the fixture, I will make the effort to get all swaged fittings and tube. If this project works well first time, I may take a couple days off. I got pretty tired, yet you can see this is not all that difficult a job. Later, that water line is going to be a problem. My plan is to take one off the supply valve and match it up downtown.

           Needing a short recess, I watched a documentary on how the Japanese catch and process blue fin tuna. I’m glad others enjoy that but if I was hungry, I’d do it. Noticeably, they trim away all but the best parts. Since they don’t have pets, what happens to the rest, I dunno. They seem to prefer the belly meat. The restaurants seem to go out of the way to use tools and preparations that would be difficult to do at home. Like cooking with straw. Myself, except for the company, restaurant meals have long lost any charm for me. This does not apply to stopping for coffee, but even that is getting out of hand. Did I mention the last time at Ricky’s for a mug and a cookie? $6.13 if I recall. The horror stories have not started yet, and I’m glad I like my own cooking. No tuna, however. I don’t like the way it involves bycatch and to me it doesn’t taste like fish.

Picture of the day.
Nacreous clouds.
(Antarctica.)
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           It’s now late afternoon, here is a view of the fancy bathroom faucets. It looks less than fancy, but that is the décor of the whole bathroom. The on-line estimator said $12,000 for the renovation and I’ve spent just over $600. The next big chore is the shower, but that may wait until I rig up the new hot water tank That doesn’t count as a bathroom project because it is outside on the laundry deck. This is the assembly before I vacuum up. Not only running water, but both hot and cold. Its direct water only, if you want a spray, you are out of luck. For now, anyway. The exposed pipes may get insulated if I can find something that looks decent. Unlike the old arrangement, the hot water tank is just four feet away.
           My conclusion is the job was a bit too ambitious for my liking. I’ve always marked instead of measure where possible, yet a couple of times the pieces and drill holes did not match up. That is a piss-off because I am very good at marking from the days at the robot clubhouse. I used the recommended old license plate to block the flame and still damaged a bit of woodwork and discolored one outlet. But not enough to replace it.

ADDENDUM
           The tally is in for the Democrats, they spent $58 million losing elections to Democrats who spent practically nothing. Ah, the First Law of Political Disarmament, or something like that. Trump has another sell-out rally in Ohio and DeSantis has broken records for receiving donations. He’s go nearly $180 million and the radical left press is still trying to portray the race as closely run. Have you seen the disgusting libtard commercials pretending that heart attacks in vaccinated children are normal?
           But the biggest laugh was Putin’s new law that if you publish fake news, you get a twelve-year stretch in a Siberian prison. Who immediately ceased operations? CNN, Bloomberg, CBC, ABS, and CBS. Go figure.

Last Laugh

(Noose not included.)