Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, September 20, 2022

September 20, 2022

Yesteryear
One year ago today: September 20, 2021, it won’t whistle.
Five years ago today: September 20, 2017, Irma trimmings..
Nine years ago today: September 20, 2013, I felt at home.
Random years ago today: September 20, 2009, five strings is enough.

           Talc. It’s become hard to find. Ask for it and they send you to the substitute, which contains corn starch. I want talc on my hands, not “zea mays” as they are trying to popularize the powdered corn. Because some lady is claiming talc gave her ovarian cancer. Where the hell was she putting the stuff? Now it is only available in the men’s section as a cosmetic at a commensurate price. Fortified by a breakfast of rice and eggs, I got underway early but fell behind hoping to find some old talc stock. It’s all gone. Oh, and that Thrift where I used to get my deals, it’s gone. It’s weird because by looking, that corner of town should be a goldmine, yet business on the east side fail.
           It’s getting later in the AM so I stopped for a bite to eat. That’s $5.50. For a sandwich and coffee? Nope. How about coffee and a cookie? Nope. That is for a small fries at Five Guys. This photo clipped it off on the right side, but you can see the price starting after “LITTLE”. I had them out of habit, nothing to drink. A regular hamburger adds $10 to the meal. That rivals the prices of the Reb & I going out for dinner, and Five Guys is no gourmet joint.

           I’m hardly the only one who suspects that announcement that the pandemic is over. The whole hoax awakened a lot of folks to what we’ve known for years about creeping communism, which I could almost define as bureaucratic rape-mode. Just a little law here and another there, nothing to get riled about. And forty years later you have banks authorized to seize your money on a pretext. Which is what I see as possible. We know they are up to something and they are broke. Their existence is dependent on bleeding money out of the system and the well has run mostly dry.
           Hence, I will follow what happened in Europe. Accounts over a certain amount are locked. That amount is arbitrary but other American laws indicate $10,000. Not just what is over their figure, either, they seize the whole thing. I’ll guess at ten grand and adjust my balances accordingly. There is trouble with the Queens funeral, stemming mainly from disaffected non-Whites. Has anyone noticed the capitalization of White in here? I won’t explain other than to say I read two articles that defined a situation and the correct term in this context is White. Not merely a race, but a culture, a distinct creativity, and a way of life.

           Britain is lost, unless the remaining Whites band together while they are still a majority. They won’t because that majority comprises mainly of older Boomers who are no longer politically active. You have to look into what’s coming and that means who is under 40 and what is in the classrooms. That’s who you will be dealing with in no time at all. For the most part, these non-Whites have no background in democratic behavior. Britain may have colonized, but as far as empires go, it was the best one in history. Africa is about to find this out as they crumble to the Chinese.
           Things emphasize the unique American experience. Like the English, the people here were not asked if they wanted all this immigration. That’s because the answer is no. It does not take much to see that the other side does not want either equality or integration. What they want is access. That has always explained why they are so much against segregation. That leaves them to their own resources, and even when those resources are provided free, that is not good enough. It’s the kid brother with the bicycle tale on a national scale.

Picture of the day.
Novel fire pit.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Sparing nothing to bring you the best in journal-like blogging, here is a photo of what could be my first home-grown papaya. The tree reacted well recovering from the transplant, but even single leaves cannot tolerate shade well. Hence it shot up to twenty feet, clearing the shed roof before spreading out leaves. Too high to spray. The past few days some nodules have been visible in the nooks and today I see a small green bulb of sorts. Whoever knows about this stuff, step forward. It’s difficult to photograph, you can see what I see. There were around four small buds yet just this one potential papaya. You may be able to get an idea of the height in the left panel because of the characteristic bright green leaves.
           Who do I bump into downtown but the lady assistant manager of Kooters. She’s neat to talk with because she works all the shifts when they have live music. They’ve had bad luck with the Karaoke, the only real act left in town is the guy who was going to play guitar with me. He’s got the two big locations sewn up and drives truck during the day. Otherwise, the clubs have been hiring disk jockeys, and if that bunch is notorious for an inability to read any crowd but their own.

           She’s heard all the acts and sees the outcome of the COVID shake out. I reported how the lockdowns and job loss got even the third-rate guitar players to dust off the old Strat. The snag with that is where are you going to play? There was never anything like the work available for 50 bands in the area. Before where you might see one new act every other month, if it’s new today, it is a disk jockey. And for what they are worth, let people play the juke box and at least hear what they want. She brought up that Bradford has been poking around a bit, but like myself, he is not quite strong enough to strike out solo. Although either of us could do a legion or similar, his music won’t fit.
           Y’know, she mentioned that about Bradford’s music. He has the same predilection toward worn-out guitar music and note-for-note presentation. That, he could probably get away with, but he follows on with obscure tunes and B-sides. Neither of us has heard him play in close to two years. Next time I see him, I should broach the issue. He’s over forty now and may have realized playing such narrow music isn’t really working. If you count the occasions where I stand in with bands (not usually reported here) he’s played out maybe a tenth as often since 2016 when I met the guy.

           Reminding you this is a journal, I will repeat that episode for clarity. Bradford wants to start a big band where he can play his memorized lead breaks. I want to create a duo to play out regularly but not that often, and only locally. Where I go through duos here and there, Bradford has put together one band in all those years that played out once and lost money. It should not surprise anyone that both Bradford and I know we should be out there, so what is the holdback? Make that question double, because I have long since convinced him that until either of us stumbles into something, we should be operating as a duo.
           It’s the nitty-gritty, the song list. Each of us can pretty much sing only what we can sing. So my offer is to learn any song he wants to sing if he will do the same for my list. Should work, right? I have decades of experience with this form of trade-off and don’t expect it to become my dream band. Brad sees a duo as the core of a larger group. Now be fair here, each of us thinks the other guy’s song list is the pits. Yet, this should still work by presenting the audience a variety. Be patient, I’m getting to the point. I can and will play his music and do a crackerjack job of it. And even if he is a lousy strummer, I can work with that and create a good show.
           The bottom line is Brad wants me to also learn to sing other songs that he picks. I’ve explained time and again I cannot do that. He sees this a stubbornness and will not accept that I have sincerely tried to go that route many times. And that is why I like talking to that lady, she is no musician but she instinctively knows this is the issue.

ADDENDUM
           What’s this, 25% of single women over 24 take medication for mental illness? This headline is contorted a lot, with dozens of variations. But the upshot is, some say, that it means 75% are going around untreated. As for the myth of free health care in Canada, euthanasia is now the sixth highest cost of death. Usually the hospital just withholds treatment to let them die. In America, they put them on respirators and collect $46,000 when they die. Beats paying them social security.

Last Laugh