Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, September 4, 2022

September 4, 2022

Yesteryear
One year ago today: September 4, 2021, what a busy day.
Five years ago today: September 4, 2017, John Smith, that’s me.
Nine years ago today: September 4, 2013, about 4 seconds.
Random years ago today: September 4, 2016, “Door’s open.”

           Yet another study tells us eating beets lowers blood pressure. I like beets, so by now I should be immune to stress. The same source tells me I need to read a book on how to welcome refugees and that I should press the order button “while I still can”. I’ve spent a week now feeling listless and that’s the symptom I was looking up. They say it is the seasonal flu, and same as last year, one symptom at a time is not unusual. So let’s see if I get anything done today. Let’s make a big breakfast and see if that improves matters. It says here if I check this blog with Grammarly, I could be on my way to a Peace Prize. Good morning, America.
           I was out there early to unclog the birdfeeders, a problem in high humidity. That’s when I looked up and saw the papaya leaves against the rising sun. Isn’t that a picture for an art show? I will soon have to trim back other growth to give this beautiful tree the full recommended sunlight. It drops leaves that don’t get exposure. The other pic this morning is a pile of the pallet slats now cleaned and ready. Between this pics and now, I’ve sneezed a good 30 times, so let’s slow down. Decisions. I could cough or take cough drops, but those make my coffee taste funny. In the end, coffee won.

           Here’s a much better view of the cleaned pallet lumber. I sent copies to Agt. M: the club is always great for new ideas. That article I read on choosing pallet lumber has paid dividends in this much nicer looking pile of boards. If only I could learn to tell one wood from another we’d have something. The news tells us the Artemis launch is now delayed for weeks due to a fuel leak. This is what happens when you go looking for design flaws after the fact.
Now there is a anti-robo-call website called Scammer Payback. Interestingly they hit on the same Urdu insults            I’ve advocated for years (just not here). They are able to hear the scams, both sides of the convo and break in at the right time. One thing they stress is they have a database of scammer numbers. I, too, have a very up-to-date list from my own phone, I wonder if they would be interested? Sadly, the tactics they use are primitive and I would be only too happy to discuss with them some of the more advanced techniques I’ve developed but do not have the resources to implement. I won’t link to unknowns, so here is their contact info.

           BUSINESS ONLY: ScammerPayback@Night.co
           TIPLINE: ScammerPaybackTipline@gmail.com

           Here’s where I depart from any sympathy for these victims. It is not like the scammers are using any high-tech wizardry. Rather, it is age-old scams now using computers. Right there you could blame the system, since there is no place I know of that teaches consumers how to protect themselves. But the next step is what gets me. When they get these victims talking.
           How can you be so stupid? It disgusts me to hear somebody who is ten years younger than me have no clue about how computers work. You hear them give out passwords, names, addresses, combinations, codes, you name it. No, I do not empathize with that bunch. There is no excuse of any description for being computer illiterate in America these days.
           Another laugh for me is the unoriginality of these sites and their merch. It is all the same, mostly T-shirts with their logo. Same with the coffee mugs. I know they are copycatting what sells, but once in a while it would be nice to see a company that actually thinks of something new.

Picture of the day.
Stogumber railway station.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           That was Trent on the phone. Always great to have an intelligent conversation, a rarity these days. I should have gone up there last weekend and dragged him out of the office. We may be over the hill, but that doesn’t mean you can’t go looking. Turns out he did have some time off and I’ve never seen Jacksonville. I mentioned the possible trip to Texas this month, since he has family in that area. If you look at a map, the eastern border is almost straight south from Texarkana to Beaumont, both of which I’ve been. Yet I’ve never seen that part of east Texas. They say there are big trees. I never saw a really big tree until I was six or seven.
           Hot or not, I got out there and finished the siding on the west. For you, I went all out to find the most boring picture and here is the winner, or is that loser? Anyhow, that is me picking dead leaves off the peach tree in the morning twilight. There is still the trim but the silo is now secure and soon to get even more so. All 42 slats went up, each piece had to be lifted, marked, walked to the saw and back, then up the ladder. I had enough left over to rise another three feet on the east side, but that isn’t exposed. Three and a half hours. Trent is a great motivator, that, and the place is so messy since last time he was here, I’ better get a move on.

           The siding was slow because it’s a two-man chore. Working up a ladder reminds me of an incident in my youth. One summer a crew of us from college worked building storage units, rather like quarter-size boxcars. Once the siding got too high, we paired up to work on the ladders. When you are up there, there is no place to rest, sit, walk, you either get down or nothing. The worst job in that place was tarps, they washed the tarps from the trucks and it was where they sent the flunkies who really could not be trained for anything better.
           This new guy didn’t bring enough to drink that hot day so he walked into the shop area asking if anybody had extra. We had a gallon of orange juice that was ice cold so we told him to could help himself. He had an odd name, Furly, something like that. That boy must have had a thirst. He hiked up the whole gallon and chugged it. That would have been fine, but then he cut this massive unbelievable fart. You never knew orange juice could smell so rotten. All eight of us caught up the ladder. For a moment there I thought two of the guys were going to jump.
           Bad as it was not as bad as the next summer whe Hughie cleared out 200 foot warehouse with twelve foot ceilings. That’s another tale from the trailer court. If you’ve never heard that one, it’s from the days of hand-writing. It took ten minutes before Hughie could even smell it himself and even then it was so unearthly it wasn’t recognizably human he thought we were kidding.

           So Jackson’s plan to scam a billion has failed. If you don’t know the story, the city shut off their water plant, petitioning for a billion dollars in federal aid as sewage flowed in the streets. Instead, the EPA showed up with the Army Corps of Engineers, who broke into the perfectly find water plant and turned the pumps back on. The water is back but the stench will remain a long time. The whole welfare state experiment has failed, time to cancel it wholesale. Give them one year’s notice, then that is it. I went full circle from altruism to disgust on this one. As long as welfare is more comfortable than a job, things will never change.
           To maintain the tradition that nothing is ever their own fault, the left has to find a way to blame white people (in ebonics, “wypipo”) for the problem. They’ve come up with “white-flight”. When all the white people get fed up and move away, there are no taxpayers left in the black areas. Plus, nobody with the aptitude to maintain the machinery. Therefore, when things finally break down, it’s because of white-flight. This is the real reason they hate equal but separate—they require white people as hosts.
Then there is that kidnapper (black) who thought his victim (white) had a billion dollars in the ATM and tried to force her to withdraw it. This could be a fake story, but it is so believable.

ADDENDUM
           My self-developed blog checklist says mention food. This list was developed in the early on-line days when nobody knew what worked. Now we know most blogs simply gear down to the lowest mentality. Still, food is always good for a 9% increase in clicks. Today the big breakfast was potatoes with chopped onion, scrambled eggs with sliced red pepper and cheese, toast and butter, orange juice, and coffee.
           Then I go on-line and an ad for French creamed eggs stares at me. After I’m finished cooking. How cruel is that? There is probably a contest somewhere over whether a Frenchman can cook an egg more ways than and Englishman can cook a potato.

Last Laugh