Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, September 3, 2021

September 3, 2021

Yesteryear
One year ago today: September 3, 2020, every MicroSoft computer . . .
Five years ago today: September 3, 2016, three types of tubs.
Nine years ago today: September 3, 2012, breathtaking views.
Random years ago today: September 3, 2013, five channels, my eye.

           Good morning and I’ve got some energy back. I’ve been up since 3:30AM, the red cardinals have been company since early light. We had a power failure that I think may have knocked out my front bedroom A/C. You are supposed to wait 3 minutes before any restart and this winked off long enough to reset my computers, which have no battery backup. On came my A/C at the same time, now the remote won’t work and the panel buttons won’t turn the thing off. I wasn’t sleepy, gang, just weary and I wonder if it had something to do with the final Star Trek shots I’ve been taking.
           Sadly, that program is winding down, I think one more appointment and I’m back to square one. Then goodbye my biggest reason to head for Miami and the fat paycheck that went along with that. Here’s a photo of the prime suspect [of what has been causing my fatigue]. This was like the Tennessee tsetse fly put me to sleep, so other suspects include the new band’s song list, COVID news, and the latest comic-book movie hero.

           Yep, the power outage killed my newest, biggest, and most expensive remote conrtrolled A/C unit. And it is not being replaced for a while. It turns on, but resets itself every few seconds with a beeping sound. You see, I can replace the A/C myself. It’s you zoomers who get stuck $1500 surge pricing for a Lyft ride out of Lake Tahoe that need to be worried. Sell you my old Taurus for $1499. I was going to say you could share the price with 8 friends, but you'll never have that many in a gig economy living with your parents. When the government has to spend billions on “infrastructure”, hipster, millennials, and zoomers are the reason it isn’t there. Think about it.
           Space planes. They are not all they are cracked up to be, meaning they can really crack up. The problem among many is the unpowered descent. They have to find and land on the same base from which they launch. A crosswind pushed Branson’s Unity off course far enough that within 24 hours the company was issuing Psaki-style press releases. Has anyone noticed lately how Facebook is being told what to censor and what to push (example, the Texas abortion ban)? Serves you right Zuckster, you done sold out to the wrong side, this is just your beginning.

           How about the way “tech news” has degenerated into a no-tech squabble. Fired employee deletes 21 million records. Tesla must surrender autopilot code. Texas Democrats who ordered the power outage now blaming it on climate change. And my favorite of the day, Amazon seeks to remove offensive cloud content. Um, Brandon & Tyler, if it was true “cloud content”, they would have no way of knowing what was there.
           But the biggest laugh will soon be the bogus September 18 “rally” being pushed by the leftoid media? I speculate nobody much will show. This time, there are too many alternative news sources to bluff a crowd and the Democrats have only one tactic: the political circus and clown show. The hoodwink is they want a crowd to show up to demand justice for the January 6th political prisoners, who have become a huge albatross around Pelosi’s neck. No charges, now they need more arrests and more phony proof, which they think another big DC event could provide.

Picture of the day.
Complicated roofing.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           I will be lucky to get one shelf finished this week. My days of flashy posting are over, at least in terms of dynamic motorcycle trips and brunch with the Yuppies. Things might pick up with this new band, but folks, you may be witnessing the twilight of this blog. That’s not to say I’m down to the level of couch potato and I’ll never have as zero a life as some, but the deal is a single day of down time now throws me off balance for a week.
           How about this piggy bank, from the shed in Tennessee? “Dextrose enriched.” A collector’s item, it is now dedicated to the college education of robot club second-generation offspring. By coincidence, except for the refridgerator, my utilities and electric were cut off last trip for exactly one city billing period. This gives me my base costs for electric, water, recycle, garbage, and sewer. It’s information hard to get since even the city hasn’t much of a clue.

           I have kill switches inside the house for the only variable utilities, which are water and electric. My electric bill thus amounts to the fridge, which is $39 per month, or $1.28 per day. Yet some people still bitch and moan. I was billed $12.49 for one gallon of water last period. Must be a drip in the sink. Or a drip at City Hall.
           In the end, I finished both shelves, including the brackets, hung the guitars, lifted around a hundred books, moved a dresser and dragged the bed to a new position. With an easy chair planned, the room will not be for maneuvering, but for relaxing. It is tempting to get a home theater as I like to watch DVD movies, but for now, use the computers. Remember that Pioneer dual cassette deck I picked up for ten bucks (was it)? What a gem, I have hundreds of tapes where I checked in hourly when driving, especially cross-country. They make for great sound tracks and now I can easily transfer them to disk.

           Why DVDs? Am I not up with the times, streaming my entertainment? Well, that’s a strange question from people who step in front of moving busses [while] watching Big Bang reruns. And the tone of voice that I don’t know DVD sales are falling. Yeah, well vinyl record sales are climbing, so much for who’s to say what is outdated. If you want to live in a world where you can be arrested for making a phone call two blocks from a crime scene, go right ahead, but that isn’t the point. I chose DVDs because they are convenient and there are so many I have not seen. I pick them up for between 1/10th and 1/20th of original cost and have always been content with the quality.
           Right now I’m watching a weird NZ production, “What We Do In The Shadows” and neither Google or Netflix or god knows who has any record of it, this blog excluded. Funny how those who had nothing to hide are now kicking themselves for not listening. I guess they don’t mind appearing on ever more suspect lists. Ha, then they really will literally have nothing to hide. Or keep. Or own. Or think. Or to protect themselves with. Kyle, it isn’t about the masks, it is about getting the army to obey illegal orders. Ah, you don’t know the difference between illegal and unlawful, do ya, Kyle?

           Uncovering boxes and packed items, I’m finding things long forgotten. Hundreds of photos that should be digitalized or lost. A disk with the entire year of 2004 with hundreds of pictures taken with the original Argus digital. I have the small radio antenna rigged up, enough to get Tampa conservative radio, anything but NPR news. It’s not good enough, but I see there are some firebreathers showing up at the school boards. There’s no going back to the shameful complacency of the past 30 years. I support throwing out entire schoolboards who have endorsed any level of liberal or anti-American teaching because that is a basic Marxist infiltration point.
           The angry parents are not quite going far enough, they should be demanding records of who hired what and rooting the bastards out. Schools are for education, not political platforming. For example, that Gipe or whatever his name was is claiming the video was edited. Bull, that is an argument you use on the spot, not come up with some 90 hours later when it’s your ass on the line.
ADDENDUM
           This shelving is proving a success. While you’ll need a stepping stool or ladder, it finally gets gear up off the floor. This is stuff I don’t use every day but is too expensive to risk in the shed. The replacement cost of much of it is astronomical. Have a boo at this work in process, the books are on the highest shelf, unsorted for now. There is a hurricane lip along the front of the top layer and you may notice the heavy duty bracing. It is calculated to hold a total of 1400 pounds.
           It is not complete as shown. The hardware store was out of the smaller brackets that fit between the smaller tiers. They are starting to fill with the best equipment I can afford, centering on music, recording, computers, and utility modules. The shelf in the front bedroom was 1-1/2” too long to fit where it would work here, but I have the tools to modify it. This wall, with dozens of outlets, will be the busiest in the building. Yep, that’s an oscilloscope at lower left. Much of the clutter shown is temporary while I complete other work.
           This natural light photo was taken tomorrow morning, that blue dawn is the sunrise through the double window. Hey, I’m likely to die in this room, so I’ll splurge for a couple nice things. The music is really the only networked part of the system. It is equipped for up to 16 separate lines, most of which won’t get used. The amount of space freed up is impressive to me. If this continues, there are several other places in the house I can expand on the idea.

Last Laugh