Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, October 2, 2022

October 2, 2022

Yesteryear
One year ago today: October 2, 2021, unemployment pays more.
Five years ago today: October 2, 2017, best 20% drop ever.
Nine years ago today: October 2, 2013, rain, dude.
Random years ago today: October 2, 1984, it was funny in 1984.

           There was no quick getaway this time. The plan was before 9:00AM but there is always another chore once the hurricane is over. In the end, I always forget something important and this time, it was the extra guitar. I want one to leave in Tennessee and last trip I brought back my Ibanez, since that’s the one I’d be playing. Now I forgot to replace it. I headed out with a half tank of gas and made it all the way to Gainesville. Before I started out, I checked the tire pressure to find the two new tires on the front lose pressure very slowly. Shown here, it takes five minutes to top them off with my little compressor.
           While I left things in good condition, let’s just hope there is not another hurricane before I get back. I’ve planted a series of avocados and outdoor plants and moved them up onto boards so they wont’ waterlog. And are easier to work with. I’ve decided on another major junk clearance, stuff I don’t use regularly. I have some hobby gear that I’ve not got to since I bought this place. Might as well let somebody get the use out of it.

           JZ finally called. We got to talking women again. He has to get out of Miami. I described decades ago why there are no decent women available in that town. I said available, gals. Decent ones are in such high demand that you won’t find any except in the late teen demographic. Date a women over twenty-four in Miami and you are asking for trouble. I’ll retract that if I ever meet an exception.
           There is a raft of paperwork I’m taking with me this trip, which I got behind on. If I do buy another house, it’s more unlikely than ever it would be in Florida. The talk is of a big price drop around the mid-term elections time. If Biden doesn’t do something, I think landlords across the whole country will use the situation to evict the deadbeats and raise the rent, probably to double. So many rental properties are off the market right now that we have shortages. The tendency is to blame Blackrock.
           You what I think? Them Blackrock people are not the brightest. They just have a lot of money. Sounds to me instead of buying properties, they used their trillions to put down payments. If you think that one through, it’s a strategy that only works well when prices continually rise. And on the trip up, I got gas for as little as $3.01. This sounds great, but it is a source of worry for most of us. The price drop is because Biden is dumping oil on the market that comes from the nation’s strategic reserve, which Trump built up. Trump reportedly paid $28 per barrel. Biden would have to replace it at $78 each.

Picture of the day.
Mobile army kitchen.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           What time did I get on the road? Just after 4:00PM and the plan is to drive for 6 hours. The after-hurricane weather is usually perfect for a week. Traffic was light enough that two hours later, I was on the road well north of Terrytown. Same with I-75. I stopped north of Gainesville for gas ($50 @ $3.31). A sandwich and a coffee set me back $6 but it was a great drive. Making good time. Not so the other direction. There was a 30-mile traffic jam north of Gainesville. No accident, I would have seen it. Just the usual, some write-off driving too slow causes a bottleneck and the rest is predictable.
           It was dark by Valdosta. I carried on to Macon and found downtown closed up. They have this avenue of craft breweries and such I was hoping to catch a cold one. Nope, but then I thought to check out Grant’s Lounge, the old licensed spot in Macon. Grab your guitar case and you won’t have to pay the $10 cover charge even if you don’t play. The atmosphere has changed in that it is a very popular place for Blacks, and the band was rhythm & blues. They bill it as a jam session. It isn’t, instead you get a top notch show of very experienced musicians. I talked to the drummer who says these guys have played together for years. It sounds it. They are beyond excellent.

           Now that does not mean they have the perfect show. It was like listening to FM. Being a musician is one thing, because most of them never figure out the real talent is in the presentation. Well these guys had it down to a tee. I decided I was not even going to get on stage because my act is so different it would have been more of a clash rather than just another music style. They had an eight-piece show with perfect sound balance. The singers were also well-known (locally) and that I cannot begin to compete with.
           Later, I camped out at the Cracker Barrel. I’m going to rig up a small cot for the KIA. It is some four inches shorter than the Town & Country, so there is no way to get completely comfortable while sleeping. There is a way, by sleeping diagonally, but that means stowing my other gear in a hard to get at manner.

Last Laugh