Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, October 4, 2022

October 4, 2022

Yesteryear
One year ago today: October 4, 2021, needless ritual.
Five years ago today: October 4, 2017, I got it level.
Nine years ago today: October 4, 2013, yes, I sued Radio Shack.
Random years ago today: October 4, 2007, Ivan & wife, Caracas.

           The pets, always glad to see me, either that or it’s those $11 a box breath mints from Trader Joes. This morning was a major shop, the usual when I arrive since you know I’m not really vegetarian. Instead, I keep away from things she’s told me are not good for you. And that took all morning, partially because we took the doggies along and that entails gems like finding a parking spot in the shade. There was one with this old couple sitting in their car kind of blocking access. You know me in this situation, I don’t get out and ask them to move. I proceeded to give them a driving lesson by backing expertly into the spot while missing their door handles by maybe an inch.
           It’s top story because the Reb is highly amused by how deep this trait runs in me, this aversion to speaking to people who know damn well they are in your way. Never confrontational, although I’m quite aware of how it pisses off the perpetrators. Screw ‘em, they a kin to the crowd that walk down the middle of store aisles, obstructing both lanes. You know who you are. This trip was out to Franklin, an area I like. It’s not as swank as its reputation, but I love the way the locals keep a lid on things. At least for now, no LA-style streetshitters living on the sidewalks.

           Here’s a protein bar that typifies the direction I think computer food processing is headed. I first noticed it with muffins, how they had exactly six pieces of walnut topping. I’ll let you count the M&Ms in a pack, it’s always identical. The Reb is due to leave in the morning and there is always chasing around to do. Sadly, she is not feeling well and there’s nothing I can help with. Directly I mean, since I can make tea and walk the dogs and fix stuff. The concern is this is super important trip, and visit, for us both. Not together, but individually, the connection is that things are coordinated, which is more the correct word.
Picture of the day.
Worth Hall, Swarthmore.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           I took the dogs for an extra stroll since that’s a quiet time for her. Next I dug the old computer out and set it up. The unit for here is back home because it was not working right. These were purchased as two identical units, only to later discover they were not quite so similar. The other one had three of the old XP-grade memory chips removed. I got the units so cheap I didn’t check since they both fired up. This is the matching set I bought out here last year, was it?
           Here’s Chooks, and he is on the alert. It is deer season and they are a bumper crop this time. I found small herd in the neighbor’s yard and no picture is your reminder that Sony camcorders are not instant on. Plus, it takes several button presses to get the thing into picture mode. I get it, Sony, it is a camcorder, but still, make it a simple switchover, dammit.
           Later, some good news arrived, in a sense. A couple of serendipitous events out west means at the last moment, she does not have to fly out tomorrow. Travel is no longer the carefree event it should be. I remember when you showed your ticket to the stewardess and walked on the plane like you owned it. Now we got diversification and strip searches. There’s a lot to be said for equal but separate. We were indoctrinated all through grade school that that was evil. Not so, once you think it through.

           Here's a video of across the street as I pulled up y'day. There are six fawns in this scene.

Last Laugh

           x margin-bottom: 1em; margin-right: 1em; margin-top: 1em; margin-left: 1em;