Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, December 18, 2022

December 18, 2022

Yesteryear
One year ago today: December 18, 2021, evaluating search sites.
Five years ago today: December 18, 2017, the original scale model.
Nine years ago today: December 18, 2013, because technology and UFOs.
Random years ago today: December 18, 2003, BrandSmart goes millennial.

           Off to a frozen start, I took the dogs way over to Hunter's Hill. Unless we walked in the direct sunlight it was not anyone's favorite stroll. But they needed to be walked big as we are off to the Unity church 60 miles from here for the special Xmas service. And it was something else. I met a dozen interesting people, including this lady who was a ballroom dancer. She didn't look 91. Back up a bit, I should say it was a beautiful morning drive up through the foothills. I do not see barren trees and such as any less a scenic view as leaves in the summer. Even if I'm the only one who thinks like that, alrightee?
           Here's the band setting up in the church this morning, we got there a big late so there was no time to mingle before the Reb had to get on stage. That church is rare because they leave newcomers alone except saying hello when you arrive. I've met interesting people there, but it is over an hour's drive away on a good day. Today there was a 91-year-old lady who was a ballroom dancer and a professional camera-man, from the other Hollywood, I think. Reb sang several of her own compositions.

           The band had some very impressive equipment. Lots of singalong time, a personal favorite for me is, “We Wish You A Merry Xmas.” That tune was ancient long before my time but always a winner. Church has changed from my day, there was this band plus the lyrics on the overhead, Karaoke-style. And this place has excellent coffee. There was a pot luck after but I'm semi-vegetarian around the Reb, so we stying just long enough to mingle. And she was tired so I drove the car the last long stretch back home.
           Earlier, we had stopped in Sparta to see if the big Thrift was open, but Sunday and no luck. Serenity Thrift, that's the place, you've heard me mention it. The Civic just purred down that freeway, today was the longest I've ever driven that car. You know, even with the wheel tilted full out of the way, I have trouble getting in and out of the driver's seat—and I'm by no means a fat guy. Well, not by today's averages anyway.

           We got home past 2:00PM and I fell for the lure of the downstairs sofa. The doggies love that blanket which I know will never be mine again. They always bolt upstairs where it is warmer and I thought to lay down for a quick nap. Woke up after 5:00PM, lost the day. But what a day it was, wish I could get you the video. Tell you what, I'll see if I can post part of the audio. Nope, according to the instructions, I would have to upload the file to Google, then install a player in my blog and link to the music. I just ain't that dumb and it is no wonder I liked the old Blogger better.
           I managed to edit some video and send it off to the inner circle. I'm usually behind the camera so there is surprisingly little footage of the Reb & I together. We've heard a lot about this new social media site, Mastodon. But can't find any real examples of what is going on over there. They say decentralized, but what I've seen says the guidelines for that are fairly narrow. Until things get clearer, I'll stand back and watch.

Picture of the day.
Italian clothesline.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           This being Apple Sunday, I treated the Reb to a large basket of fries. If you are new here, that's the day of the month, usually the third Sunday, when I can eat anything and as much as I want. But this is no big feast. One meal, and over time I've gotten choosy about what's good for you. Fries, probably pretty low on the list. But I know how to spoil a gal. Even ordered extra mayo.
           I've got some more goodies due from Amazon, but they are late even by Xmas rush standards. I pretty much have to wait now or go without, so I needed the fries to build up my energy reserves. Napping requires calories, at least I think so. They gave us enough ketchup, which neither of us really eat much. If you like it, I'd send it to you by Amazon, but who knows if you'll still like it by New Years. Let's check the newsfeeds for an opportunity to share my candid views and witticisms with the world at large.

           Here's some trivia. The average Bugatti owner has 84 cars, 3 jets, and 1 yacht. To me, that reflects that most of them did not work for their money. That statistic makes them far too channelized to be the diverse lot you'd get with those who made it on their own. Meanwhile, the Amazon shipment arrived, revealing that they left the order, which should have been here two days ago, until the slowest article arrived, a small product inspection microscope. That explains this next photo. The unit had to be charged and this is rarely as easy as they say. For example, plugging the unit into a computer can place the thing is USB mode. I have portable batteries for my phone that work well.
           And here is the result. Everybody takes a picture of money and these are two of the extreme settings. This units are tricky to use because the amount of distance from the specimen varies with the magnification, but you get used to it. This does nothing new or better than my old Celeston, but it's far handier to pack along. Setup time was minima. Here is the date on the seal at around 50x and a nearly 1000x view of the holographic paint on the color-changing number, showing the crystals that relect the light

ADDENDUM
           The detested head of Canada's enforced “COVID rollout”, the sinister Adam Exton, has dropped dead. He was 35 and he will not be missed. The Canadian government, such as it is, has been working overtime to gloss this thing over, including deleting all recent photos. Because he succumbed to horrible conditions?


Last Laugh