Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, January 12, 2023

January 12, 2023

Yesteryear
One year ago today: January 12, 2022, how do they know?
Five years ago today: January 12, 2018, born into a vacuum.
Nine years ago today: January 12, 2014, a memorial service.
Random years ago today: January 12, 2013, it hurts.

           Could this be the tech meltdown? Turns out nobody was reviewing the airline code, which shocks none of my readers. We’ve been noting this fact for twenty years, that even the people who wrote it cannot make sense of it six months later (max). Now we have a system mired in this horror that nobody can fix. Turns out it was a software “glitch”. Nobody knew how to import the correct database. Woe to those who blithely thought we were headed for a robotic era of peace and prosperity. Most of them probably don’t know how to work a shovel.
           This brings up another situation I mentioned during the 1990s, that quality was being exported along with the jobs. If you found something wrong, it was best to say nothing and leave it for the next people to deal with. For years [where I worked back then], I pointed out this one dickweed in engineering was making a consistent “copy key” error, but they would not discipline an ethnic [Pakistani]. Even swearing at the bastard in Punjabi never got through to him.
Let me record that in case it was hand-written. Many of the circuits in the phone office are duplicates. For example, all the lottery and bank circuits. When a new one is installed, it makes sense to copy an existed working diagram. Unless that diagram is wrong, so it required an engineer to review every item in the path. Along comes this Paki who hits the copy key, but does not review the circuit. Every so often one of them would land on my desk. I learned exactly what to look for but the rest of my department did not.listen. The circuit would come back from the field and a day wasted fixing it. Since I was one of the few competent people, it would land on my desk. When I left the company ten years later, the bastard was still at it.

           Uh-oh. JZ called after midnight, his arm where he got the jab is in such pain he cannot function. At the museum, for the first time ever, he had to stop and catch his breath, shown here by the one of the fish tanks. Yes, I warned him but that was years ago and after he did it. Remember, he’s surrounded by people who told him if he didn’t, he would become deathly ill.
There was a lot of that social pressure happening and nobody knew until after he got the shot to stop him. He regrets it and now this, it’s a disaster of the worst sort. He’s unable to work or even leave the house. And he needs to get out of Miami for a few months, just get away to a different atmosphere. He’s been living in that same condo for twenty years and that neighborhood has slowly gone ethnic.

           It’s that scenario that had me measure out the chicken run. The survival scenario. I have space for up to four chickens at the maximum recommended and six if the minimums are accurate. There’s more if they have the run of the back yard but that would mean a gate that closes at night. I’m only looking but that part of the yard is not doing anything else. The rule of thumb is four chickens lay three eggs a day. Too many experts these days, but that sounds about right. I know zero about raising chickens, but I know they take to me pretty nicely.
           “Walk The Line”. I’ve taken to memorizing it. But the melody line is the bass line and it is played on guitar. I could not find a different part that fits so the other guy can take the lead, which I have no doubt that’s what he has in mind. The tune was one of this choices. For those who have tried, all of the on-line tabs are wrong, it’s not your imagination. Much as I want to play the thirds as the rest of yoy, it is a fifth. And remember to play the mistake in the bass line of “Blue Eyes Cryin’”, it is there in every verse.
           It’s confirmed, Lisa Presley died of suddenly during a bout of climate change. Come on, America, let this whole Presley thing go, it’s over. What gets me is how the tabloids are saying that despite the burden of being the daughter of the most famous singer in the last century, she “forged her own musical career”. Give me a fooking break.

Picture of the day.
Beer bottle, Challenger Deep.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           When the weather says 30% chance of rain, it’s going to pour all day long. So I used the sunny time to add on to my van cabinet, seen here. The lips around the edge are standard so things don’t roll off. Visible are the 30 hour emergency lamp and in the middle far back, the Yeti battery. Still to be added are small moveable dividers to keep everything in its own slot. The top of the unit is even with the window to allow full visibility and the lamp is positioned at the quarter panel post for the same reason. I will shortly be testing a small electric heater.
           The big story is the customer (Mexican) who shot an armed robber (Black) in a taco joint last day. There is a “grand jury” deciding if the shooter should be charged. This is how corrupt the legal system has become. It was clearly self-defense, does not matter that the dead guy had a fake gun. (Try pointing that at the police.) Public sentiment is definitely with the shooter. The bleeding hearts say the last bullet was “execution style”. I saw the video. Plainly, the hero went over to offer aid and assistance, but when he leaned over, the last bullet discharged accidentally.
           Now be fair, how many years ago did the blog mention that Thrift stores are no longer great bargain places, and the worst one is Goodwill, followed by Salvation Army? “The Week” has published an article on this, though their angle is that it’s caused by rich people shopping there. I’m not sure where they mean, because there are decidedly no rich people where I shop. But I think they might mean they cause a general price rise. How long before we see boutique thrifts of the best items, sort of a pots and pans Plato’s Closet, replete with ill-humored staff?

           JP Morgan reports it was tricked into buying a company that used fake accounts to inflate its value. Since all the accounts were on-line, I say it serves them right. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. It wasn’t much of a work day here, I measured out the new door step and got half a shelf installed. The table saw speeds things up yet it was still a snail’s pace. I ran over the new bass tunes, I think I’ll have to zap up the intro verse to “Bad Bad Leroy Brown”, a tune I never cared for. I never identified with going after other men’s WAGS (wives & girlfriends) and still don’t.

           There’s a growing backlash against on-line advertising, what I call “intrusive advertising”. Fortunes were made when it was new, now it is just annoying. It parallels the ads in the back of comic books when I was a kid. Those chintzy rip-off ads for toy soldiers and x-ray glasses. The latest round on-line stress you can make money in the middle of nowhere in towns you never heard of. So much for the more sophisticated modern greatest generation. Here is a list of the junk I never fell for:
$1 color TV.
$1.25 Sea monkeys.
$2.98 walkie talkies.
$1.98 How to hypnotize.
Free Giant Moon monster.
$1 Throw your voice.
$1.98 Invisible helmet.
$6.98 Polaris nuclear sub.
50¢ High power binoculars.
ADDENDUM
           The news feeds tell us a women died in Canada writhing in pain for 12 hours on the floor of the hospital emergency. In Canada, the doctors work for the government, not for you. Germany, where the rot has been particularly bad since mid-1945, the government has declared investigating COVID is anti-democratic. Biden stole documents showing he delayed release of evidence that he helped steal the 2020. Muslims are now allowed to sacrifice animals, enacted by a Muslim majority council. Jeff Beck died of suddenly.
           Speaking of changing the definition to suit a narrative, phat people now say I am phatophobic because I prefer not to date phat girls. People arrested in Brazil are being vaccinated against their will. I have no info on Biden making his move against gas stoves. You can’t cut off people’s propane instantly when they won’t obey. Elvis Presley’s only child, Lisa Marie, took the jab and died at age 54.

Last Laugh