Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, January 22, 2023

January 22, 2023

Yesteryear
One year ago today: January 22, 2022, four years of neglect.
Five years ago today: January 22, 2018, one of life’s constants.
Nine years ago today: January 22, 2014, blood is not used.
Random years ago today: January 22, 2012, phrase-by-phrase.

           Vox, Blackrock, and Goldman Sachs are laying off tens of thousands. It’s 2008 all over again. This time, the government has no money left to bail anybody out. Gee, what a pity if the entire credit system collapsed. The funny thing is, people up to their necks in debt think that means they would owe nothing. Overnight, I heard a noise at the window and discover we have at least one baby raccoon in the vicinity. It’s a pity, as the area is j
ust not big enough to support even one. Most trees are in my yard, with smaller species to the north and east. For exactness, eight of the nine trees in the stand are on my side of the fence.
           And just like that, this morning the robins are gone. It is back to the red cardinals and the woodpecker family, with a variety of small birds darting in for a snack. We still need some re-thinking on all them squirrels. There has to be something that new technology has to offer. Let’s peek at Caltier Fund. Okay, their new web page isn’t user-friendly. Plus, that monthly auto-invest feature still has to be confirmed by the same lengthy series of declarations—and it still ties the regular investment procedure up for the full five business days. Meaning I can’t meet my goals this month as the system won’t unlock until the 30th, making the next deposit possible on Feb. 3. Auto-invest is more of a reminder than a service.

           Every source is screaming there will be a recession. It’s more like there already is one and the signs have not appeared. The last round of inflation is largely attributed to the doubling of food prices. Here, the impact was minimal, as it was mostly processed food that got hit, but I sure feel the pressure. I’ve got some heavier duty chain for the birdfeeders so I’ll try larger home-made disks. I have to improve the steps, as the way they rest, it is possible to just trip on the lip. Photos reveal the old design moved the stair out two inches so I will do the same. This easy work let me think and my first anti-squirrel design has resulted.
           To really get at the birdfeeders, the rodents have to climb the supports and run along the top to the spot above the hooks. They then either crawl down the chains, or tip the feeders to knock food to the ground, or pull the chains up. I was contemplating covering the supports with tin flashing when it hit me. Why not turn the flashing sideways and run it along the beam? Not a final design, as that leaves the bottom of the beam, but anything else is expensive.

           How about this item from Canada. The Prime Minister’s brother says his speeches are all fakes, that he is controlled by the WEF and told what to say. People wondered why he never addressed the freedom convoy or other such events in person. Says his brother, that’s because when Justin was a French teacher in Vancouver, the girl he molested was not 17, but 12 years of age. Beware, however, that in Canada this is a regularly used ploy to dodge responsibility. To claim that one was forced or blackmailed is a favorite of the CBC, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. Myself, I suspect Trudeau is being controlled simply because he has neither the intelligence nor force of character to do what he’s up to.
           My millennial phone went into a mode where I could not make calls because selecting any item gave a choice to share or delete. I don’t know what share meant in this context but I would not do it anyway. I could not get out of that menu, so I wound up carefully recording some info and deleting that. It worked and I re-entered the data. And these millennials wonder why they don’t get any respect or decent jobs. And the fastest growing retail chain is the dollar stores.
           Today I learned British warship design holds over from the era of sails, in that they can be loaded with six months of supplies, albeit a pretty sparse diet. Crackers and salt pork, really. More cannons per ship than Wellingdon had as Waterloo, they say. The documentary I watched said since the hatches were kept closed in the crew sleeping quarters, the aroma there was “challenging”. I’ve little interest in such things, but it was the high period of celestial navigation and all these years later, I still have to constantly refer back to the instructions. Anyone who just memorized the steps would get better exam results, since I insist on learning the theory first. Where have we seen this before?

Picture of the day.
Shopping in Mozambique.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Here is this afternoon in any order. Do we have any statistics today? How about a week without rain? And the van now has 165,844 miles on the clock. Inside the van, it was up to 113°F and as low as 63°F. I was born near Oklahoma so I had a laugh at an NPR program comparing the 30 or 40 tribes that lived there to the nations of Europe, who eventually conquered the world. NPR tried to portray them as an example of living in harmony, when in fact torture and slavery were their entertainment. Agent M. was on the phone, I had to repeat the rule that you cannot invest in Caltier without a bank account and a membership. We should be getting a second dividend any day now, I’ll keep you posted. Last month it was around $7.50.
           Stopping to grab a coffee? Not in Florida. The new stopwatch shows the average time needed to get a coffee to go in this state is now 19 minutes 44 point 31 seconds. Most of it standing in line, the old, “Sir, we’ll be right with you.” Somebody has calculated the max amount of time people will wait in line, so typical of the 3rd world mentality that’s taken over.

           The photo? That’s the military’s latest plaything, the Ripsaw. It’s a mini-tank that’s remotely piloted and has a 30mm cannon. No need for lots of armor and skirting, since at a half-million each, they are disposable. It’s modular, so you pick which rockets, drones, and sensors you want. One look tells me this is designed for city fighting, tipping us off what to expect after 2024. It’s tiny and comes in an SUV version of sorts. This blog is still awaiting the first big billion-dollar heist using these remotely operated vehicles.
           The state of robotics is, to me, closely revealed by how the military employs them. I see an uptick in unmanned turrets, but the rest is a good only Stug III chassis. A form of turret, the small “sniper” rifle, is either autonomous or remote-control. It can’t hit moving targets yet, but the trade-off is an enormous but classified maximum range, something like 3 miles. Each unit memorizes ten targets, then let’s fly in a quarter of a second. Also, methinks,
for city fighting.

           I completed the insert in the stairs, running out of exterior screws, but it is done. That includes leveling the walk path from the parking area. Shovel work is not my fare. I cleared the area near the red shed just for looks and repaired the spline on my aging book about wood. It details the character of wood, why the HMS Victory had pine masts but hickory spars or something like that. In the long run, this cabin requires $75 of small hardware four times a year, including screws, nails, and who-knows.
           My medical office is treating e-mail like a phone or chat, I’ve warned them I need 24 hours notice. Actually, it is the service that my office uses that’s the culprit. They think because they spend all day on e-mail, so do you. I ignore them now. My tour last Sunday is still producing results, I wound up driving through that industrial area east of town. I think I found the big pallet of Central Florida. If the country needs that many pallets, we must be doing okay. The delay in blogging this is the buttons on the new recorder are a mess, a bad design. It takes three presses to get it to stop, I’ve got long stretches of empty sound because I only hit it twice.
           That reminds me, the old path along Route 66 is now suspended. Shortly after I discovered it, so did lots of semi-trailers. With the new intersection put up in Zolfo Springs, the pavement was quickly pounded to ruts and rough edges. The enter 25 miles now needs replacement. On the return leg, I tried to bypass it on one of the small country lanes to the north and wound up in a scrubland state park with no exit. Highland Hammocks, that’s it. The map shows a through road but even GPS could not find it. Ever heard of the Village of Charlie Creek? I may try again.
           It is 181 miles from here to my clinic. If you’ve been following along, there’s good reasons I’ve stayed with my original people. It’s that extra 33 miles to JZ’s place to crash that adds an hour minimum to the trip. The record was 235 miles to get there. I’ve been trying to reach him since his birthday, but no answer.

ADDENDUM
           A Swiss hacker made headlines when she got into the “no-fly” list and, to her shock and horror, discover almost all the names were middle eastern. Tell her not to access the Cairo phone directory. Broke-as-hell China is planning 70 space launches in 2023. A Brit got 75 hours community service for farting when he was arrested. ChatGPT, which still produces obviously stilted replies, is racist. It will only compose poetry that denigrates White people.            I found it interesting that only now are certain courses being offered on-line concerning LLCs that address concerns I pointed out decades ago. Thus, these are amateur tidbits of a social and privacy nature that nobody but nobody (except this blog) ever talked about before. Allow me to go over the top issues:
1. Forget the IRS shit-show, the idea is to protect your information.
2. Set the company up in the same year because the info goes into limbo.
3. Establish an LLC separately for each business venture.
4. Don’t take any partners except other LLCs.
5. How to tell when outsiders are snooping around.
6. Deduct everything, you cannot be charged, only denied the deduction.
7. Most important, it keeps your name off public records.
           These are the true motives behind forming limited companies. I’m mentioning it because this is the first year I’ve seen courses offered that address anything but the tax implications. I have not owned anything except vehicles in my own name (registered in Wyoming) for twenty-five years. But that is only because if you register to a company the insurance skyrockets.

Last Laugh