Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, January 23, 2023

January 23, 2023

Yesteryear
One year ago today: January 23, 2022, I must ponder.
Five years ago today: January 23, 2018, the library presentation.
Nine years ago today: January 23, 2014, Florida, no total babes.
Random years ago today: January 23, 2013, an unspent asset.

           JZ called in good spirits, but he’s not going to get here this month or next. I may begin raising the floor myself, might as well. I drove into town today, the trip from the “bad” turnoff to MLFK in Mulberry is 6:44:00 exactly. I chose not to stop at the bank or hardware store because that is proof the rest of the hour and a half is taken up by a lot of nonsense. As I pulled into my yard, I see that there is what appears to be one pair of robins left. I’m proceeding with two more sets of shelves to free up some workspace that has gotten cluttered up a bit.
           This views shows the monster agave cactus. It stands nearly four feet high and you can see it leaning away from the house. The spines are protruding into the walkway already, so I can’t just move it further out. And there is no other place in the entire yard it will fit. Wait, I just thought of something. Check back later, as in a couple of months. One more thing, the woodpeckers are slightly larger now, but considerably heavier. You can tell by how they displace the feeders compared to before.

           Then, I mapped out the repair to the kitchen floor. Yes, the one that’s been put off for four years. Might as well do it myself, and while at it, I sketch out another 6 double duplex outlets in the kitchen exterior walls, total of 24 new plugs The entire original kitchen had 4. Oh, and so any loser future archeologists can call me a liar, I stopped at the Thrift and this gal who had a decent shape gave me the look. All the ladies on staff watched to see how I’d react and I didn’t. I know trouble when I see it.
           The new squirrel baffles has had a secondary effect. Since the squirrels can’t get at the feeders, they consume every other scrap of food during the day. Then, the old raccoon comes out and has nothing and he is too old to hunt. He’s getting aggressive. I spread out the critter ridder (which does not work on squirrels) so he’ll forage in the neighbor’s yards. Why? Because I learned early on to have as little interaction with the City as possible Let somebody else report the varmint.

Picture of the day.
Dubai aquarium.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           For a break, I’m re-watching the cult classic “The God Must Be Crazy”. The actress is still not that pretty and still lacks the right curves and that poodle cut hair was never my favorite. But it still rates as tops for original themes, in that I like sequences that somebody must have seen because some stuff you can’t make up. Same with California, which is now trying to tax people who moved out of state to avoid taxes. (It would involve any stocks or bonds etc. they still left behind in California.)
           Here’s another list of the things dying people say they regret the most:
1. Wish I’d lived my own life instead of worrying about others.
2. Wish I hadn’t worked so hard.
3. Wish I had expressed my feelings.
4. Wish I’d staying in touch with friends.
5. Wish I’d been happier.
           So they are all saying basically they wish they had a blog and could play bass. I get it.
           It was a cool afternoon, so I spent it cleaning up the yard and having a two-hour bonfire. Then, I packed up and went downtown for a few beers and wrote letters. Overall, a great retirement day by any standards.
           Here’s a relaxing view of the back yard, with a few visitors.

ADDENDUM
           Some engineer caught in the mass layoffs at Google says Big Tech treats people like they were disposable. Remarkable that an engineer could figure that out at all. Besides, what does an “engineer” do at Google?

Last Laugh