Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, January 31, 2023

January 31, 2023

Yesteryear
One year ago today: January 31, 2022, “stealth disease” ???
Five years ago today: January 31, 2018, meet Valentine.
Nine years ago today: January 31, 2014, big beach gig.
Random years ago today: January 31, 2015, nothing but experts.

           At the risk of medical foolishness, I’m going to try some scheduled work today. Light duty, of course, but 9:30AM to Noon, the weather goes from 68°F to 78°F in that stretch, my kind ot outdoors. On-liners have apparently found a great term that the Radical Left hates with a passion, so expect it to go viral. Everything woke turns to shit and the term they hate is “Fraud Denier”.
           Planned also is to make the rafter plates out of one or two solid pieces of lumber, just for looks. There should be pictures. Time for a coffee and a peek at the non-mainstream news. The Canadian government continues to seize bank accounts from those who supported legal protests. Have you ever noticed when you search on “gold price”, all the crap that comes back never mentions the gold price. Millennials like to pretend you searched on “free membership”.

           Experiment failed (working hours), but project success. No way I can work to schedules. I had no symptoms but I had moves that I know go down that direction. I worked an hour over until 1:00PM and this panel shot shows the worth, even if it is hard to tell. On the left is the unfinished rafters jutting out from the wall to form the eave. On the right, you see the jagged appearance is smoothed by that notched rail. I further put some finishing touches on the east wall, including a cripple I had left out last year. All done, but so am I for the day. You need not remind me how this used to be an hour’s work for me. Everybody who grows old gets a turn.
           This is what I oftimes call the nerd vine. It’s the same species I mentioned that jammed my saw the other day. Shown here is a dead stalk, just as pesky as the live one. You cannot break it by hand and it has a predilection for footpaths and anything hanging out of your pockets. It can’t be easily cut except with the sharpest knives. I had to clear a mass of it as I’m going up on that silo roof shortly to complete the metal cladding.

           Lowes (lumber yard) is planting RFID chips in tools to “prevent organized retail theft”, but of course, it will soon be a corrupted system. It is designed to monitor honest people, not crooks. A proper system would detect only stolen tools, not people. A self-draining feature uncovered in laptop batteries is being coyly passed off as a flaw.
           gain, the world’s ten richest women includes only one self-made, and even that is by definition. Gina Reinhart (Australian) inherited a 1.25% iron ore royalty and turned it into $30 billion ($16 billion at time of writing). Cyberscoop reports dark web gangs are recruiting criminal hackers via on-line job ads. I’ll bet any takers did not inherit any royalties, type of thing. A Dallas firm wants to clone re-incarnate the wooly mammoth to “fight climate change”. Another round of layoffs brings Phillip’s (electronics) total to 10,000. Note, the US big tech layoffs are all companies where the workers are attempting to unionize.

           The world champion diver, who once held his breath for over ten minutes, was just diagnosed with myocarditis. His heart rate has doubled and diving ability decrease 30%. Since right after the got the Pfizer clot shot. Guinea pigs, these people, in the largest and most evil medical experiment in history. The world truly hates the United States now.
           Trump’s rally, in New Something, probably New Hampshire, and South Carolina drew record crowds plus over 80 million views on-line. Many to his Truth Social network, which the Radical Left said could never happen. Their latest anti-Trump stunt is attacking scam advertisers on Truth, but it is a problem that happens on every network. Trump’s statement that he is angrier and more committed than ever before is resonating with votes on a scale the D-party cannot imagine. Around half the states have not banned voting machines.

Picture of the day.
Rocky Mount, NC
(Source: Forlorn Places.)
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Just in time, I got the silo siding complete. This is a jar of peanut butter from the shed showing how close the raccoons came to feasting. They were interupted, or no way they would have left this jar intact. Also attacked was one carton of instant coffee, the D-cup brews I mean. These raccoons have good taste. The Caltier disbursement arrives last day of the month and January’s total was $14.78 on an investment that averaged $3,800. This indicates the December payment was larger than usual, probably due to year’s end. This is not a carefree investment except at the level where you blind trust them to do things for you.
           If, like me, you monitor each transaction and its transit time, the Caltier sequence is over twice as slow as it used to take by snail mail. Five business days for each transaction to clear, slower than snail’s pace. Plus, one transaction at a time during that five days. This time, the share reinvestment option bought fractional shares, something like 2.874 units. That is historically consistent. I cancelled a transaction just to see how that feature worked. So far it has not.

           Several hours later, I remain exhausted, so let me check the weather report. Cloudy, some fog, good, I’m leaving the electric cords strung out. I measured the plastic roof out at 5’ x 6’ for that’s enough for either a scooter shed or the table saw. Just, where to put it? That’s a bit too large for the compressor, but too small for much else. I further dug out any of the coffee boxes or stored containers that had any signs of raccoon attack, but I caught them in time. I will put a ceiling in the shed some time soon. By dark, I was recovered, but I don’t do mosquitoes. I found a translation of the Greek historian Xenophon.
           t’s fascinating how these Greeks, who knew from their surroundings that they were the first great European civilization, began to find ancient ruins in the deserts of Persia, some were thousands of years old already. Cities with walls measured in miles where Greece had only tiny cities. Archeologists seem to have found ruins back to the dawn of civilization, which appears to be around 9600 B.C. I don’t believe in ancient scroll theories, but I agree something remarkable happened at that time that affected the entire world.

           The perfect evening weather means all fans and such turned off and that very rare commodity returns. Silence. Raccoons are clumsy by nature so I set up a series of old tin cans they knock over. I’ve learned their marauding hour is 8:00PM. They no longer scatter when the yard light ignites and the babies are near fully grown in the last couple weeks. Since there is no food here, I suspect they are raiding the cat food the neighbor sets out. They must cross my yard to do it and the logical path is right though the bird feeder section.
           A ten-minute review of the Webb telescope releases reinforced my conviction that the Red Shift is not that accurate a predictor of velocity or distance. The Webb has had time to rescan “empty” spaces where the Hubble found galaxies. I’ve no math to back up what I think, that light speed is a max and some of the galaxies are theoretically faster, it doesn’t click. Plus, hearing some of the scientists talk I’m beginning to doubt they know something is wrong.
           Not:, the Webb has used up around 10% of the fuel needed to keep it in stable orbit.

ADDENDUM
           Still reading about the Assyrians, it is curious how modern historians make comparisons. Yes, the ancients accomplished things, but it took them thousands of years to make the same progress as some tiny country like Denmark. Wall murals show them still building cities without pulleys or counterweights for two millennia.
           Reports of the steering wheels falling off Teslas, PayPal is canning thousands, and economists report a growing gap between the rich and poor in the USA. I say they could also define that gap by who is educated and who is indoctrinated. If you want to wear leotards and tattoo your face and post violent behavior on-line, it stands to reason you won’t be making a lot of money working for a living.
           Next, I learned the term for the way I keep ahead on the electric bass. Turns out the experts say it is because I will learn new music rather than just repeating the old, like most guitar players do. It is called deliberate practice, which further agrees with the 10,000 hour rule. If you don’t keep at the edge for those hours, there is no improvement.

Last Laugh