Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, June 21, 2023

June 21, 2023

Yesteryear
One year ago today: June 21, 2022, redneck electric starter.
Five years ago today: June 21, 2018, Texas target practice.
Nine years ago today: June 21, 2014, music in a test tube.
Random years ago today: June 21,2016, enough signatures.

           No more fussing with the air lines, I was downtown at opening time. The first picture here shows quite clearly the problem. On the left is the air hose coupling, on the right is copper air line. To attach anything to the air line except another airline, you need an adapter. The copper pipe company doesn’t make anything compatible with compressor fittings. The compressor people have the same philosophy and make nothing that can directly connect to the. This explains the chasing around. This picture shows one of a number of arrangements. From left to right, the female hose coupling, then the 1/4" seal covered by Teflon™ tape, which adapts to a 3/8” fitting.
           This shiny new piece fits over the end of the old pipe, which has a 3/8” thread. That last piece is the problem. It too so long to find the last 1/4"thread that I bought them all. And now the last two are 3/8” and that is what you see here. This adapter comes in a package that you have to buy for twice the price to get this one piece. The rest of the package is junk. I may have to buy a second package for the last remaining piece, bringing the price of my air lines up to around the $250 mark.

           Today is Thunberg Day. Time’s up. End of the world, unless she’s just a blow-hard. Remember the butterfly capacitors, there used to be one in every old radio. They’ve become a rarity and a collectors item. I had a go at building one in 2011 but I did not know about plate spacing. I’m inclined to try again now that I have experience and better tools. We awoke to a grumbling thunderstorm. So maybe Greta meant noon or at least after breakfast.
           Good, my shoulders let me know a good work week just passed. It’s not age, which I could tolerate better, but all from injuries as long as 30 years ago now. I’m still going out there today and time to finish the air line. I need to raise my arms over my head for that, I think you see how this all ties together.

           I made it downtown for parts. It was a failed trip, but I picked up this male-to-male adapter in case I locate another female thread. The old section of air lines is quite usable. From experience, I put in a cut-off valve precisely in case this sort of nonsense happened. This is not the America I grew up in. Tampa radio reports the Ukrainian accountant who exposed the Biden bribery payment has been found dead. The new air line had a leak, it was a bit predictable. There is a 90° elbow just outside the red shed that should have had two people to install.
           In the end, I had to string out the entire array of tools, solder, grips, gloves, paste, and pipe cutters. Then build a jig to hold the pieces, all because there is never any good help. This took four hours, longer than to install the entire remainder of the pipes. I had to cut an old piece away. Normally you construct as much of the assembly as possible on the bench, which I did with this joint and it leaked anyway.

           I’ve made up a panel of pictures that cover how it went. From left to right, the same joint shown this morning, this time held in place with a wooden jig. Follow this pipe up the wall to the second picture, which is the offending joint. This is the new elbow, a shiny replacement to the old piece cut away in place, never fun. This also had to be desoldered above shoulder height even when I was standing on the standard club stepstool. I am now avoiding “street” elbows and unions. They are called this, I believe, because each one fits only one way on to the next piece until you get to the end. But for me, it makes the work less versatile. It was the swaged end of the old piece that would not hold.
           Removing an old piece means three hands. One to hold the torch, one to keep the pipe steady (plastic clamps these days will just melt), and your third hand to tap the old pipe loose. It never comes clean, there is always a ring of solder too thick to allow the replacement, so get out the file and rasp it down to dimension. Fun. The next panel show the last coupler that needs attention, that piece with the wee black lever is temporary to keep test air from leaking. That segment runs along the ceiling of the white shed. I’ve not built any supports, so I’m pointing at a hose clamp holding an aluminum bar across the length to keep it from sagging.

Picture of the day.
Confiscated England gang weapons.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Spotty rain kept me hopping into the shed, where I used the time on other projects. Here is one of the original club tools, the band saw. I believe I got this for $25 and it still gives sterling service. It is preparing the piping for the squirrel teeter trap. One got in the other trap last night after dark, which isn’t supposed to happen. Because a trapped animal attracts predators. What I heard was the struggle and the rodent luckily got away. They can do this by thrashing around until the trap turns on its side.
           That’s the incentive for the second trap. You won’t catch a smart squirrel twice in one trap. I’ve measured out the old large anti-squirrel cage to be cut. They are designed for a large feeder, which is not a good idea in Florida because it empties too slowly in the humidity and the seeds go bad. I must go back downtown to search for that final air line adapter, so remind me to pick up a braising rod. These afternoon rains can last all summer, so I’ll have time to learn to braise. It’s solitary work. I’m no good at precision stuff, but neither is anybody else around here.

           There should be a picture of the progress. It is that green drainage pipe that never got used. You might make out the outer ring wrapped around the main pipe, my finger is on the split. This can be slid to and fro to adjust for the situation. The bandsaw does pretty work. This is the ring that will pivot and provide for a carry handle. My most ancient radio, the General Electric, has finally gone bad. It’s AM/FM but will not hold a station and both modes pick up static from electrical storms. I’ll eyeball it but it is being replaced by the radio from Lem in Tennessee.

           My plan is to go to Miami in a couple weeks, just for a few days. I’ve always encouraged JZ to take up a hobby. This could be a real opportunity if he does things right. Alaine is giving him an iPad. Maybe I can show him a few of the basics but I’m telling you, JZ is part of that huge contingent who just do not like or trust computers. Alaine is in the middle of renovations. I would have expected JZ to be there helping but his call is that he would be in the way. Okay, then do it for moral support. I’m kidding, I have no say or sway in the matter.
           San Francisco has been sued. The City continues to run glowing ads depicting the downtown as a fun and historic family vacation desitination. In reality, is is a festering cesspool and has been that way nearly twenty years. Piles of rotten garbage and rotten people on the sidewalks, open drug use, and violent crime out of control. Most merchandising and retail outlets have fled the core, adding to the problems. The media tries to make the homeless sound like victims but their behavior spells out that they are getting what they bargained for. Drop out of school, quit reading books, do drugs, never invest, and vote for free stuff—exactly what did they expect was going to happen?

           According to the Australian media, the discovery of some chips off a stone ax in one of their deserts means you and I are racists, both individually and culturally. We have been driving cars and flying airplanes for over a hundred years now without crediting ancient peoples with adequate respect for their use of sophisticated stone-grinding. We’ve been brazenly traipsing around with the prejudiced notion that these aboriginals didn’t make stone axes until 10,000 years later. While the university did not ask for reparations, it was pointed out this stone axe tehcnology could be lost forever if we don’t do something about climate change.

           The remaining picture is the carpet sweeper. But for that brush fan belt, it is in great working shape. If the belts turn out too expensive (a common problem in America), the motor is destined for mounting in a fan case. I save the cases, as fans are another item that never lasts long in Florida. I think my record fan for daily use in the summers was a lousy four years.
           The photo shows the sweeper lying on its side to be tested. I haven’t found the model number yet but it’s a nice unit and these appear to be priced at around $135. That would make it quite a nice find. The old radio is going in the shed, where I hear that freak, Barbara Streisand, is in the news again. She says Biden is a “gentle giant”, benevolently tending his beloved flock. Did you know she cloned her dog and has accused Trump of making her fat?

ADDENDUM
           Eleven years ago Kokak went under. One of most disliked but not hated US companies, they controlled the film development process. The entire camera business was their oyster. I recall living in cities where the only way to get film or have it developed was Kodak. The only alternative was setting up your own darkroom, which never happened as I never had a place of my own. And the good cameras of the day, the 35mm SLR, were also expensive and required special cases and handling.
           You had to make two trips minimum, a week apart, to get prints. The Kokak booth charged a deposit, so they never cared if you came back. (Kokak also added $1 to each roll of film.) More than a few times, that one week delay resulted in me never having enough money to go pick up my pictures. After a month, they threw your pictures out. There are maybe ten pictures of me in as many years during that era.
Last, today is the 7th anniversary of getting my hands on the deed to this property, the only time I bought in Florida. The significance here is described on that day, where I went along with all the bullshit just until I got my hands on that deed. The system tried all manner of coercion which took the form of holding back that all-important document until I signed a few more papers. This, went on for days while I was sleeping on the sofa in the cabin, which had no other furniture. I quickly spotted the ruse and went along until I got that title. Then I left and never went back.

Last Laugh