Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, June 8, 2023

June 8, 2023

Yesteryear
One year ago today: June 8, 2022, 47 of them died.
Five years ago today: June 8, 2018, the house auction bullshit.
Nine years ago today: June 8, 2014, banished to the porch.
Random years ago today: June 8, 2008, the too-tired blues.

           Cost of this trip to Tennessee? $974.87 That includes the new security light, the tarps for the carpet shampoo, and renewing several subscriptions to magazines I don’t really read. But hey, if you want on every mailing list in the universe, turn to “Old House”, who never share their info. They said so. Good morning and I’m still wobbly from the trip. But I’m up early enough to unload those shingles from the van. After coffee, of course, let’s not pretend this is 1993 and yes, my back let’s me know I was climbing ladders recently. How’s your day starting?
           The morning off to do the books and the advent of computers has not made things any easier for a simple reason. Computers allow idiots to make universal screw-ups a light speed. It should not take four hours to reconcile things considering I’m a fast worker at that chore. The hold-up was Caltier, so they are forgiven. During their compliance shutdown, they rejected all new in-transfers, which were recorded by my end as out-transfers. I think Caltier’s on-line statement is not the actual, rather a month-end statement that accumulates the payouts. I’ll redesign my tracking spreadsheets to reflect that.
           Here’s a part mechanics seem to hate. Troubleshooting the electric. It’s easy but you have to think like something you can’t see, which I understand is a chore for some. I’m seeking a wire that is hot when the key is turned to the run position. It was easy. I see someone has disconnected the headlights. Who mows their lawn in the dark? The wiring is done and a secondary problem has come up. Keep reading, but the part I did works just fine. Here’s the trickle charger getting the battery into shape, I think it’s been stored since last summer.

           Check back later, I’m in no mood to hump those shingles out of the van, not the way my shoulder feels after sawing those tree limbs in Tennessee. My refilled birdfeeders had all the usual gang back within the hour. The high point of the morning was emptying the pockets on my work cut-offs. I found two batteries, four pencil stubs, seven Phillips drill tips, two socket drivers, twelve various wood screws, a fuse, two drill bits, a small transformer and six cents in change.
           Now I’ll tell you how it went for the next few hours. I fixed the scaffolding in place (using sawhorses) and got up on the laundry canopy. It must have really poured, so I swept out the soggy debris and strung out the leaf blower. Fun. I see the other neighbor has donated another six 8-foot posts, which may solve my leaking white shed problem. The tarps held in place while I was away, which was nice, but that attracts cobwebs. It is now noon, to be continued.

Picture of the day.
Dental implant drill bits.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Here is the John Deere with the hood up. It won’t crank, but I hear the solenoid engaging. Methinks it may have been parked too long and the starter is seized. I’ll consult Howie on that one. Otherwise, what you see here is the finished product. I’ll replace the starter if I must, which should be straightforward (ha-ha) as this was a very popular 100 series tractor, though with these type of issues I would wonder why. The battery was at half ebb, so it is on the charger until I turn in for the evening.
           The ladder is ready and I used the wheelbarrow to move 2-1/2 of the 4-1/2 bundles of shingles. Where is that hillbilly when you need him? I also got the rest of the Tennessee stuff, like amplifiers and air tanks, out of the van. I had to pace myself with things like trimming the oregano and putting some grommets on the tarps. I strung out the circular saw to trim the eaves, which I left hanging a bit over in April during a rain shower. Then I humped a load of shingles up onto the canopy, accompanied by Mrs. Red who loves the mister nozzle.
           The chalk line needed repair and I re-routed the power cables to the north work area so they are not so much underfoot. Other than wrastling with the shingles, I’d say that was a darn good day already. No work on the tractor, but I need that van empty and ready for other contingencies. It’s now 5:00PM, let’s take a break and decide if I want to get at least one row of shingles put up before dark.
           These are nicer shingles than on the house, which doesn’t surprise anyone as the difference is some 20 years. These are also “natural shadow” shingles, which means they are two layers on the shadow part. It’s luck, but I should have just enough free shingles to finish the job—and relearn how to do shingles in the process. It’s been half a century or so.

           Later, I went back out before dark and got a row and a half of the shingles done. I’m going to make it with a few left over. What luck, the entire laundry deck has probably cost less than $200, mostly for the hardware. I’m inside where it’s cool and enjoying a supper of mainly vegetables, I happen to really like corn. It’s not all cozy, I took a hot shower to blast the spots where my shoulders still ache years later. Working in the cooler climate of Tennessee delayed my aches until I got here, which I have avoided accepting as a fact of life.

ADDENDUM
           So, how goes the game with Mary, the non-strummer? We don’t know yet, but she is easy to string along and I feel no compunction trifling here because she sets herself up. I owe her no explanations and she should not be demanding them. Here’s my guess. She’s actually a biddy who lives in a trailer park and thinks it is all her neighbors are the noisy gossips. Nor has she ever been in a proper band for decades now, her style is that far off base. We’ll reply just often enough to keep her in the loop, justified by the fact that even the worst of entertainers just might know somebody.
           The Capitol police who stopped the White children’s choir from singing the national anthem have explained that all “pop-up” performances must be preapproved. What part of pop-up don’t they understand. Any, they said they were unaware that the performance was, in fact, approved. Meaning they expect others to do their job and violating the presumption of innocence.

           Watching a video on Google’s predictive sentence completion had me falling down laughing. It utilizes A.I. to guess what is being typed, but that quickly begins to reflect the mentality of the users. “The abortion went well.” “German tourists don’t smell bad.” “My autopilot feature will not babble.” Enough people must go around thinking like this to result in such prefigurement.
           The FCC is fining robocallers, but only the ones that are somehow defined as “pro-Trump”. This would seemingly include a group that calls saying vaccines are mandatory. The libtards are trying another fake indictment, the object is to prevent Trump from running. Technically, that is illegal election interference because they would not be doing this if Trump was not running.

           Skipping siesta, I watched a documentary from the Great War series concerning the Boer War. Nothing new for all the money they spent on the production. It is shamelessly pro-British, downplaying all the usual English intimidation methods while slandering the Boers for doing the exact same, for example, using local Blacks to dig trenches. The theme of slavery was heavily pushed, as if the British did anything before gold was discovered.
           The narrator is some South African millennial who’s been sold the line that the Boers lost the war because they were evil slave-owners, when in fact, the British did much worse on a far larger scale. He goes on to imply the Boers stole vast tracks of cleared and fenced productive agricultural estates from Zulu farmers whose ancestors had been growing wheat and barley there since before the Pharaohs. Worse, the Boers took all the “best” land for their farms, though he does not mention why they would do elsewise.

Last Laugh