Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, August 26, 2023

August 26, 2023

Yesteryear
One year ago today: August 26, 2022, a definable mindset.
Five years ago today: August 26, 2018, not for everybody.
Nine years ago today: August 26, 2014, Scarlett, once.
Random years ago today: August 26, 2016, just in case of what?

           The morning was a bit cooler so I got more electrical done. Not my water heater, but still. Here is the completed switch in the scooter lean-to, where I think my planer jointer device is destined. I also finished cutting the silo over to the underground and the whole place is now GFCI protected. I wired an extra outlet in the white shed, two overhead lights in the scooter lean-to, and put in the box for two outlets. As with most post-construction work, at least 25% of the time was moving things out of the way. It was over 100°F and I was out there six hours, in the shade I mean.
           That sounds like work done but a lot of it was rewiring what was already in place, such as the underground cables. My average remains fairly constant, that is 3-1/2 “contract” hours to put in each outlet or switch. I would have had to charge over $250 per switch to make a profit, allowing double minimum wage for my personal time. I’m aware of what each component costs, while most contractors just overcharge by a good margin. For example, I have around $800 tied up in the necessary tools, which must be maintained, stored, transported when needed, and on occasion repaired or replaced.

           Synthesia is a step closer with this blog. On-line reveals the tremendous pressure to make money. Most of the how-to links feature advertising where you utilize Synthesia to place ads. They use buzzwords, but it a commission sales job, and traditionally that wastes half your time. Go to the addendum for more musings on this software. I was genuinely impressed by the accuracy of the translated languages. There is one accent from my home town, where German was commonly spoken.
           Biden proves himself an unpopular moron once again. He showed up in Hawaii with a convoy of 27 vehicles and only 11 people showed up—and some of those were hecklers. Yep, people want to see a few million dollars of SUVs drive past the ashes of their houses. A pilot on a flight out of Miami “died suddenly” in the cockpit and utility prices in Texas are soaring into the stratosphere. The WEF has called for A.I. to re-write the Bible so that it is more “fact-based”.

           How about the guy who paid extra for a window seat and said the lady in the middle had the right to insist he close the blind? Sorry, I’m on the side of the guy. If he had to pay extra for his own comfort, so should she. Here is a hard to see photo, but almost dead center down the middle is a curving piece of board. This is that pressed material usually covered with countertop material.
           Don’t let them tell you the stuff is durable. Maybe when clamped and glued into a counter, but as shown here it will warp from its own weight. It was resting horizontally on shelf brackets around two feet apart, indoors. Yet you can see the bending between the brackets from its own weight. Shown here it is in the laundry in case it rains because I need a siesta. I’m watching an old, “Support Your Local Sheriff”, back around the time movies were for fun and not for hidden messages.

Picture of the day.
Lobby at the Grand, Mackinac.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           The last few hours was in the afternoon, here is a view of the oose wiring in the scooter area. Nothing is fastened until I get all the junctions wired, since I’m doing that build out of mostly leftovers. No sense bolting anything down until you are certain it works and it fits. The area is wired 20 amp up to the in-feed, then 15 amp after that. So it is upgradable, for now just get it happening. You can see one light socket and the octobox on the rafter, and under the missed shelf a metal outlet box. All metal pieces are grounded.
           For those following along, there should be one more picture of the ground fault outlet in the silo. I did not have to put this in, but decided it was worth the effort since the silo is generally where I connect extension cords when I’m working outside. If there is a fault, better to reset it here than hike back to the breaker box. What do I use for criteria? Any electric saw. If it dims the lights at all, it’s time for a separate circuit.

           The mainstream people must have lost a fortune on the debate. They are making press releases that were too obviously written before the results were in—showing as few as 29 people watching at one point. It was a clown-show of 8 also-rans that did not address any of the real issues facing the public. Non-issues like the border, the Biden crime family, the FBI shooting people a lot, and due process for the J6 prisoners. All got shunted aside for petty stuff like climate change that nobody really believes except the tards.
           Hello, Singapore. Today 94% of my traffic is from your location. I have no explanation but I do caution my overseas readers that this blog does NOT, repeat does NOT represent the daily life of your average American. I do not own a gun or use credit cards, I do not watch television or live beyond my means. Everything I own was paid for in cash and I am not rich or famous. My hobbies are reading, writing, electronics, music, travel, and I have a dozen small hobbies that range from building wood boxes to celestial navigation. I’m a bit of the opposite from a couch potato and, in a curious revelation, I do not chase women. Never had to.

           On the positive side, this blog is excellent for learning English, keeping an eye on budgets, inventions, investments, light adventure, and general poking around on a good variety of topics. It shows my evolution from a young adult into an old adult—my entire youth is also documented but not on-line. And this is the blog that dares. That’s one-of-a-kind for daring features where other blogs keep to a kind of bloggish Overton window and never show you their mistakes.
           An usual evening. From working with the wiring, I got a crick in my side. Around 10:00PM, late for me these days, I grabbed a crossword puzzle and headed downtown. My fan club was there and bought me beers. I’m invited to a convention in October, I asked them to remind me again before then. And for the first time, I discover most of the husbands are cops. I’d heard that about the old club but that’s a first.
           Now there was one freaky lady doing the rounds, a white girl with piercings, tattoos, dreadlocks, kind of determined to be ugly. People were laughing in disdain and I refused to even turn around a look. But an hour later, after my standard two Karoke tunes, I find this lady has horned in beside me and wants to help with the puzzle. I told you I was unique in most places. The trouble is, she is no help at all and only recognizes an answer after I get it. She side-boobed me for around a half-hour with the place wondering if I was going to make a move. I didn’t.

ADDENDUM
           Synthesia advertises a beginner account for $22.50, but after a few videos you see the average user spends $30. Chatting with the Reb, my major concern is how easy is it to cancel the debit if you decide to quit. I’ve heard some real horror stories. I know my Tennessee account was hit for $86 by a company the Reb quit doing business with years earlier. It took months to get the money back. If I go ahead, it would be to “podcast” this blog, a situation where making money is not a priority. But it would be nice.
           The question is, without going through all these “affiliate” programs and third party billing, how can one make money on-line. Possibly the old-fashioned way, which is to ask for it. Checking around, I once more discover I do not know a single person with any smarts on how to do this. I’m willing to shell out the money as tuition to find out how the system really works. I’m hardly the first person to experience a big discrepancy between what is offered on-line and what is received.

           Turns out the software does not speak 120 languages, but only 40. The rest it will accept and use translation-ware. Here’s where my usage departs from the assumptions made by the on-line demos. I’m attracted by the feature of creating the video without a production crew and a ton of equipment. The foremost question to me is, can I produce even better and more realistic videos than I already do with my GIFs and short movies—being that Windows Movie Maker is finicky and won’t work on my older computers even if they have the necessary resources. Is it worth it to me to learn say, $360 of this application? My thinking for now is yes.
           The ideas will flow later, they always do. I’ll pause on the decision but as for learning my first “modern” A.I. package, this one is very attractive to my budget and I would not have to change that much to produce something of value. Worry about the revenue later, focus on learning. As usual, I’d be learning to solo on my first flight. I watched one video where the user had himself cloned as a avatar and the fact that he avoided mention the price says it all for me.

           Of the 30 odd major social media platforms out there, I’m a member of only 2 and I’ve used a total of 7. So I’m not exactly a digital nomad and some of the outfits I’ve only barely heard of, such as Slack and Triller. Slack I could no bother with. Triller lets you amalgamate several versions of your music video to produce a more polished final, but I’ve always associated it with rap music. I took one look at Slideshare and Quora and moved on because you cannot filter out the idiots. Clubhouse I call talkware but the system thinks I’m in Albania and Dispo is a step backward if you ask me. Synthesia is the first product I think could hold my interest.

           I noted from the instructions that the videos are made up from frames or slides, maximum six. There are limits to how much text can be attached to each. No dollar figures, but I see several complaints such as, “why is it so expensive”, and since $30 isn’t a deal-breaker, what is going on? For clarity, my goal is not so much to make money (I generally don’t like the Internet business model, but to get familiar with A.I. terminology and see about using the software to create a podcast of this blog. I may be using the vocabulary loosely, but I know exactly what I’m shooting for here.

Last Laugh