Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, November 27, 2023

November 27, 2023

Yesteryear
One year ago today: November 27, 2022, rent’s up!
Five years ago today: November 27, 2018, why waste steam?
Nine years ago today: November 27, 2014,Nothing. I got nothing.
Random years ago today: November 27, 2006, the Kenney Tunnel.

           Talking with the guy at the money order desk this morning, there is a new Ford plant opening near Memphis with a starting salary of $40+ per hour. Give me time to check that out, as that would be at odds with what other Ford people are making and that is a union. There’s plenty of coverage that they are on strike for a boost from an average of $33 per hour to $43 per hour. (I’ve been misinformed in the past that they were already making $65 per hour, that is for top pay production managers.) I’m referring now to assembly-line workers. What is not being given adequate press is the logic behind this seemingly outrageous wage demand.
           In fact, I’m jealous that my old big-shot union never thought of the point. The raise is the amount of increase that would bring workers in line with the salary increases of upper management. I only semi-agree the comparison is valid for your average dumb-feck line worker, who are a dime a dozen, but it does make sense and had to happen soon or later. But at $43 per hour, I’d consider going back to work for a couple of years.

           The big issue here is last night I dropped off the boys and went for a beer. Or thought I did. When I got there, the water pipes had frozen in the kitchen and bathroom. This is one hell of a cold spell, worst since 2018. And that is why I’m heading back to Florida, maybe this week. We’ve made arrangements for some live-in help for the Reb. It will be awkward since it is not me, but she’ll be able to stay here where she wants to be. I did kind of leave the cabin in a hurry, so even when I get back there, I’ll likely have to return to Tennessee in two or three weeks. This is an emergency, so it has to be.
           In a roundabout way, this tested my emergency system. I’m as broke as when I worked for a living. You see, I’m set up in case I kick the bucket. Before I left, the taxes are paid until next November, the van insurance until next September, the utilities until March, and there’s $4,000 in the funeral fund for my cremation. So that nobody gets hung out to dry if I croak.

           Speaking of insurance, my new policy arrived. Unlike most Yanks, I read the fine print. Mostly I’m looking for changes and we have some. Ooooh, I see the insurance companies do not like Uber. There are eight new exclusions and seven of them are for what they are calling “peer-to-peer” operations. I tend to side with Uber because they taught the rotten taxi industry a lesson. While it is true all business operations must pass the full costs on to the end consumer, I draw the line at corrupt unregulated monopolies. And that is exactly how taxis were operating. Charging as much as $85 for a six-mile ride to the airport—which should be as easy to get to as the grocery store.
           But the whole taxi system (the drivers are just the gronks) was in cahoots. City Hall, the airports, train station, parking stands, they were all in on it. There was no incentive for anyone to fight excessive fees and taxes. The DMV, the parking commission, they were all in on it, working to give the customer very little real choice. But I do see the insurance hikes—Uber people should not expect their private coverage to extend to commercial use. They got away with it long enough.

Picture of the day.
Italian gold in Swiss vault.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           I’m writing an anonymous letter to Dollar Tree. My complaint is begging at the till, I don’t like it. Asking people for charity in public puts them on the spot. What gets me extra is begging for toys for children of “parents in the military”. I disagree that people with children should be in the armed forces in the first place. (This does not apply to civilian contractors who can be up to 45% of the deployed, they can pay their own damn way.) What’s more, should people who can’t afford Xmas presents be having children? I don’t mind helping out, but like once each.
           I draw the line between charity and welfare. I’m an isolationist so don’t be ragging on me to feel sorry for the same people for the same reasons year-after-year. Charity only to set them back on their feet if they fall, but anyway my beef this time is not that issue. I take exception to the attitude of some cashiers when you decline. They put a dumb scowl on their faces, like you are a cheapskate. How can you just tell they are, well, you know. And if you notice, none of them are “officer material”.
           Later, harumph. Dollar Tree has no complaint line and blocks emails.

           A few days ago, we showed a deer on the road. Here is the video.


           I’ve run some extra spreadsheets at the library to assure Caltier goals can be met by November 2030. Yep, provided we sell the KIA. It’s nice but having that third car in top running condition with insurance and plates is making the Reb a popular gal. The bottom line is we can’t afford it, even if the car was rented, it would have to be for at least $500 per month—and the other driver is supposed to be a relative, if you read the fine print. We would be covered, since it is a loaner. Still, it should be sold and soon. Depending on the sale price, I may even raise the limit on Caltier.
           As for Caltier, I still do not care for their privacy when it comes to what is for sale. I recall how one of the original REITs (CrowdStreet) closed down after five years when they ran out of money. Caltier maintains a huge cash position to cover withdrawals but it has not yet weathered a crisis. They are offering bonus shares for people who commit to monthly payments, which I will closely look at if the KIA sells. The cap of $50,000 is based on their published risks and the company has initially lost money. On the bright side, they have finally begun flipping properties.

Last Laugh