Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, December 9, 2023

December 8, 2023

Yesteryear
One year ago today: December 8, 2022, I blast coincidences.
Five years ago today: December 8, 2018, all my trees died.
Nine years ago today: December 8, 2014, Dec. 8 is oatmeal day.
Random years ago today: December 8, 2013., early & grumpy.

           Here’s one for you. The Irish protests against third-worlders raping and killing are dubbed by the media as a “quest for identity”. Right, as if they are, as a factually diversified nation, they need to establish a new view of themselves. Well, like America, the people who lived there were never asked, and they have got themselves a new contender ready to do something about it. And he’s about as Irish as it gets. Pardon me for sleeping in till noon, I was late at reading last evening and didn’t spot the time.
           I was reading instructions on the latest trends with Arduino programming. Sadly, I report that libraries have become dominant. Libraries are precisely the wrong move. Let me spin around here and see, the backyard thermometer says 73°F, much nicer than expected. Let’s get out there and see about some chores. Ray-B confirms he’s coding some tax modules, so we’ve scheduled a time to take a look soon as he has time. First task was the plants, and here is the big cactus, with son of big cactus dead center on the right if you look close.

           These plants are the survivors. In the end, I was out there 3-1/2 hours, including my short exercise run. It’s for the doggies, I’ll never run much on my own ever. The smaller cactus is blooming like blazes, producing hanging little flowers that remind me of rose hips. There’s a nearby picture of the stalk and a closeup of the emerging yellow petals. While the thermometer read in the 70s, there was a chill, so I used that to haul a bunch of lumber around to the north side of the shed and box in the air compressor. It’s already sheltered, but that’s the one that resonates between the buildings and blasts the neighbor’s yard with the racket. The box is to buffer the sound.
           I used up almost all of the siding from the old tree house. It was getting pretty brittle so now it has a nice shady place to age gracefully. It’s that long narrow lean-to along the wall that was originally just for the shop vacuum, which because of the compressor, I will relocate a few feet east. Fifty minutes later, the siding is up, which includes a window looking into the dog run area.

           JZ was on the speaker phone, still convinced it takes a pile of money to attract women. Every man in the world who is tall or rich or handsome gets all the babes, he says. It’s a never-ending conversation for us, because he has never accepted that women have primarily the same needs. Top that with security, see? Nope, most men don’t see except they see that as just paying for it another way. And the rest of the world is having one big sex party for free.
           In that sense, I’m on the side of the women. Guys, if you have nothing, no talents, no social skills, and nothing much to say, of course she’s going to think about money. She’s up against the same barrier—when you meet somebody over forty who is not married, there is a reason why. I’d guess 99% of the single people you meet after that, it’s a hugely negative why. Opt for somebody you can tolerate and a person with at least their own money is a candidate. I get along fine with women who have their own means, it has never been a threat to me.

           Hewlett-Packard, the printer company I have derided since 1989, has a new ad campaign. It took 30 years for the rest of the world to catch on to HP, making them the most hated printer company of all time. Their new campaign is no to clean up their nefarious practices, but to convince people to hate them less. Figure that one.

Picture of the day.
Central Chile.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Today cost zero in materials, all was salvaged. To finish the lean-to, the lumber will come from the old chicken coop. This photo shows it has been taken back over by the jungle. All those cull cedar fence pickets make excellent siding, my workshed attests to that. We had the radio on, it was all anti-Trump to the extent that it’s really letting the listeners know that he’s already won. Now he’s in Iowa to throngs of chanting, cheering supporters the likes which must sent shivers down Biden’s spine.
           The latest tack is being called something like “Dictator on Day One”. Trump has vowed a number of directives, and this time he will arrest and imprison any Leftoid who does not obey, the rest he will fire. So the media is refering to the plan as his first day is to be a crusade, but after that, he’ll settle in to making America great again. However, I don’t see that as likely. The Democrats don’t stand a chance, but that does not mean they aren’t going to try their old stunts again, particularly foot-dragging and contant media attack. I think Dictator for a month minimum is more in alignment with reality.

           But Trump has learned and one lesson is to just print up more and more money to fight the opposition instead of fix the country. The dollar has lost 95% of it’s value in my lifetime, so what is 96%? By the end of 2024, I’ll have a 15% increase and more to follow. I’m just not planning past that point because it is unpredictable. If somehow, the Democrats get in, they will once again go after your savings, homes, and investments. There is more talk than ever about a run on silver, but I’ve not seen a penny of return in 13 years. And I now thoroughly distrust all metal dealers, even making enemies.
           I posted an exposé on line how the dealers guarantee they will buy back the metal, but do not tell you that they will demand ID and pay by check. (I did not say it was wrong, I said they fail to tell you.) You were not supposed to think there is anything wrong with that because they are "obeying the law", but it is unethical. New customers who do not even know how to phrase the question would often not buy the product if they knew, and the seller damn well knows that. I said that kind of dealing should be left to used-car salesmen who at least have a bad reputation to hide behind.
           Most people know the Federal $10,000 cash rule applies, what they do NOT know is that these coin dealers all know each other and agree between themselves to report any series of related transactions. I didn't even say that was wrong, I said people have a right to know that in advance and the dealers are bastards about that. It’s not like I up and attacked the trade, rather I published in response to an article post by Scottsdale Mint who implied they buy back under the same conditions they sell, that is, anonymously in cash. That is a lie. When confronted with it, they insinuate their accusers are criminals. And to me there is not much difference between a crook salesman and a vigilante salesman.

ADDENDUM
           Mainly because I want the pieces out of my way, I measured and sketched the basics for my dust collector. Finally. Hey, not a priority. Here are a couple of the parts, I have the cone and bucket and most fittings. I don’t have a dust bag yet, but with smaller units I’ve used everything from surplus pillow cases to old t-shirts with the extra openings crazy-glued shut. Saw dust is a misnomer, as what I need to collect is the crumb parts that at this time are all over my work benches. The first photo is the fan duct. This will probably require it’s own 20A circuit, but that would allow me also put an outlet and light under the canopy. We always like extra work areas.
           Later, I tested the circuit. I have a small breaker rigged up to test outlets without tripping the main panel. The motor, shown in the upper left in this photo, draws more than enough on startup to shut down before the motor even winds up completely. One pleasant surprise is the motor and blades are surprisingly quiet. We know rigging up a single outlet takes a full day, so I will try the fan circuit. It’s twenty amp and has only the fan and three light bulbs, while rated for twelve total. I may get lucky. This is the fan donated by Wilford around a year ago. I’m also removing part of the dog fence that is no longer needed thanks to the workshed wall. This adds 18” leeway down the entire lean-to, more welcome space as I had no real idea how much I’d be using that air compressor.

           This dust collector is a major project, taking a good hour to assemble the lumber and haul most of it into place. We’ll need a custom stand for the motor, since I’ve chose a design that used gravity to separate as much of the solids as possible. You can see the gaping rectangular exit duct, which hopefully is the least taxed part of the assembly. I intend to solidly bolt the fan and motor onto a frame of 2x6” planks. The deflector is a small plate I will place inside that electric box scrounged in Tennessee, see photo. You can see the plate is held by a few screws into the plastic frame, and easy job for me these days.
           The photo is flipped to show how the box is to be fitted. Intake is on the right and the vortex cone is below the downward-facing pipe, which will be extended another six or eight inches to draw the flow deeper into the cone. The plan is the vacuum is above this box, so only the lighter particles will be drawn back upwards. The empirical design of the shed and this system means there is no convenient place to place the ducts inside the shed. Too bad, and we’ll make do.
Additionally, I drew up plans for running a dedicated circuit. I don’t trust motor start capacitors, here’s a video of one intentionally being exploded.. I’m hoping I’ll get away with 15 amps.

Last Laugh

           x margin-bottom: 1em; margin-right: 1em; margin-top: 1em; margin-left: 1em;