Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, April 2, 2024

April 2, 2024

Yesteryear
One year ago today: April 2, 2023, Soddy-Daisy.
Five years ago today: April 2, 2019, not the kind you eat.
Nine years ago today: April 2, 2015, things I’m not allowed.
Random years ago today: April 2, 2007, a dozen drunks.

           I got as far as five listings. Then a barrage of e-mails about nonsense and advertising. E-mails saying to answer questions and follow instructions where none were presented. One of the passages said to just wait and often the problem would go away. I can do that. Now that I’ve successfully battled the insurance company, a number of other stories emerge of the same scam. The insurance company won’t pay because they rule any vehicle that’s had body repairs as “salvage title”. Ah, so it is a deliberate tactic.
           The Reb calls to say a friend lost an older BMW that way, settling for just $900. Less than the price of a year’s insurance. Now, I don’t have the money yet, (I’ll tell you when the check clears) so until then it’s tough explaining to others how it is done. Well, first your either buy, register, and insure another vehicle or you walk for 11 weeks, during which time you find ten or so thousand dollars you are not doing anything with. You write a lot of very careful letters and do a lot of waiting. That’s for starters.

           So unhappy, but this picture is the last of the two-year old avocado plants. They do well in the pots, but never take when transplanted anywhere in the yard. There is not much I’m planning until that insurance check arrives, so I had another stab at sight reduction. While the steps could be memorized, they can also be forgotten when needed. I prefer to learn what is going on and the several times I’ve done it don’t really count. You see, I restricted myself to American waters, where all the longitudes equal the Greenwich hour angles and all the formulas use positive numbers. I made some headway into a topic with rarely less than five things to consider at every stage, each of which uses some guesswork.
           There was a documentary in the background about a WWII rocket launcher called the Nebelwerfer, which I found ridiculously anti-German. It was not mysterious and to be factual, no infantry weapon ever remains secret for very long. The Yanks first got hit with it around the time of Kasserine Pass and it scared the shit out of them. That was yet another of those battles where ten times as many Americas went missing as were killed but nobody ever talks about that. The Soviets are often credited with this invention which they called Katyusha, but other armies had them in the works for potential chemical or gas warfare.
           The German launcher was smaller and towed. The Russians mounted their on a Studebaker truck. Good move, since German counter-battery fire was fast and accurate. The best defense is to haul ass. Especially when your launcher leaves a big long smoke trail where it is coming from. The German unit was smaller and could be put in position by a couple strong men. It was an odd design where the rocket nozzles were at the front.

Picture of the day.
Covered walkway.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Dang, a security slip-up. Allow me to tell you how to set up a shared secure email account. Open one account in Protonmail that you use for nothing but the link they require for other accounts. Then open a second account that you use only to sent emails to itself. Got that? You share this account with one other person who has the two-stage password. The contact list is empty, you only send e-mails to itself, with an identifier in the subject line that says who wrote it. Then, using your regular email, you send an ordinary message with a code-word telling them there is a message in the secure box.
           Why the precaution? Let me put it this way. If you use a password manager (which is unbelievably naive in the first place) and you have a g-mail account or use Chrome, then Google has your passwords. All of them. The fact that nothing bad has happened to you yet means nothing, you have been lulled into a false sense of security. Plainly, privacy means nothing to you, which also means you are probably broke and poor. You get the idea. And if you are wisely security-conscious, don’t talk to JZ on the phone. He will mention your name every minute or so. Andere here is a picture of $250 worth of vacuum tubes. In a beautiful wooden box.

           Wilford texted he has the pro shadow box, so I went over to the club. We talked investments a bit but then the place filled up with pretty women. I chatted them up but it was Wilford to got the goods. Why, if I was 30 again, but it’s unfair saying that By that age I still looked 19 and was getting ten times my fair share. If I was Wilford, I would have gotten the prettiest one. I smirk at losers who call that shallow. Even they gotta start somewhere.            Trump slam-dunks yet another blue bastion, the radical left is in full panic mode. There appears to be nothing they can do. Other than a core of crazies, everything backfires. I don’t think the illegal vote is going to help.

ADDENDUM
           I’ve got a tale from the trailer court for you. I’ve said if there had been one person like me in the 15,000 at Enron, they never would have succeeded in looting the pension fund. Maybe I told how I used to time the interval between when the pension was deducted from payroll and it appeared on the investment charts. Most people never got beyond glancing at the deduction. I was only with the compary tthree years when I was struck down by a heart attack, but in that time I had amassed $28,000. Does that figure sound familiar. Yes, it is how I answered the trick question, “If you were disabled, how did you survive for four years?”
           It was seven years, but I didn’t need them knowing everything. Let’s do a quick recap. When my insurance ran out, I lost everything, and everything was $288,000 and add another $200,000 to make the total accurate. This was before I had learned to protect my investments, I was actually foolish enough to think there were some safeguards built into the system that protected me from creditors. Note, in some cases they did not get the money directly, but I had to liquidate or get disqualified.
           I will tell you the part I hated the most. I signed a document at the hospital under duress. Again, they did not get the cash directly, but the bank told them where my account was, the motor vehicle branch gladly told then I had a Cadillac and my address, and so on, every one of my assets was at their fingertips. That was the time Washington Mutual bank told me they were “assisting me” by helping my credit—though I’ve never owned a credit card. I had signed away my privacy policies. Again, this is only a representation of the events. But I’ll never trust the system again.

           All I had left in the end was that $28,000 which was carried on the company books, not my name directly. Years later when I won my final appeal, I was down to something like $120 to my name. All of this is a nice story, one could say, but while operating the paper shredder today, guess what I found. Several pages of the actual records I kept. When I get a scanner, maybe I’ll post them, being past the 15 year blackout period. But they show the exact attention to detain right down to splitting each portion of the funds into employee/employer amounts.
           It was my second attack that did me in. The records will show that up to then, I was still socking away $19.34 per week, adjusted for inflation, so my guess is around $57 per week. That is off the top, there were other plans and schemes, but this one was sacred. And when it ran out, I decided to buy a house so that “never again”. And my plan included enough money invested that the house could never be seized for back taxes.
           And if this is a repeat last laff, too bad. Any work of this size cannot avoid repetition. Mind you, I say that before applying any artificial intelligece.

Last Laugh