Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, April 21, 2024

April 21, 2024

Yesteryear
Yesteryear
One year ago today: April 21, 2023, the 40 min. shower.
Five years ago today: April 21, 2019, what a spree that was.
Nine years ago today: April 21, 2015, 4,510 islands.
Random years ago today: April 21, 2021, Ruska unmasked

           Silver stays above $29 without a peep from the media. But we know there is likely a frantic bank action to keep it below $30. I’m watching, I’ve waited a long time already, so long I have nothing to lose. I’ll take out my small stash, maybe get you a photo of it for luck. Lots of Ukraininan flags being waved in DC, the last time American flags were waved, 600 people went to jail. This is Apple Sunday, so it was a big breakfast and a good book. The book being my sight reduction tables. I was after a persistent error and I found it. One of those quirks whereby one set of instructions could be taken wrong every time from every source. (You are using a table to look up a value that isn’t there because they had you round off the same number earlier and they assume you had forgotten that, and I did not forget.)
           That made for an accomplished morning because it corrected an error I was able to go back over some of my earlier calculations and spot why they were so consistently a little off. I’d attributed it to instrument error that was not being corrected by methods given in the literature. There’s grim satisfaction to spotting this errpr, what, with America about to discover GPS first on the nuclear war casualty list and Morse code a lost art. I was able to follow along and later complete full navigation calculations, but not yet plot the graphs. That last part is easy, but my blank sheets got wet over the years.

           How about this photo of seven B-2 Stealth bombers? Today’s US military calls it a show of force. The Chinese military calls it a fat juicy target. They know the defense system is staffed by queers and diversity hires.. You are looking at more than a third of our entire fleet lined ups so they could be taken out by a single 500-pound canister. That’s as stupid as lining up all our battleships in Pearl Harbor. Bunched up targets and a GPS system that nobody understands beyond reading their computer monitor. And if that does not make sense, consider the latest technology to make smart phone batteries last longer—build the cell towers closer together. Golly, some millennial may soon come up with the idea of running wires to the phone, d’y’think?

           I’m likely to cancel the long awaited Earth Day meetup with Alaine. If JZ is still there, no way her and I would get a visit in during her one-hour lunch break. Triple that because JZ & I tend to make fun of everything and others think we are not being serious, all of which we can do in Miami. Alaine is far more laid back and I’d prefer we have lunch at the waterfront again or something. This morning I wrote another short chapter in my booklet, centering on the need to avoid drawing bureaucratic attention to oneself after retirement. There are numerous on-line source but they all involve technical knowledge of the system. What about ordinary low-tech George? What can he do? The first step is to understand how the bureaucrat hive-mind works.
           To top off the morning, I watched some footage on the latest photos from Jupiter’s moon, Io. Is it really a molten core covered with ice? Evidence of a meteor strike found in Australia might be 3.5 billion years old and they have unearthed a 50-foot fossil snake in, where else, India. And don’t forget, another anti-Hillary critic is dead, this one was just 36. A pending law makes anyone who sells a gun, even to a family member, a gun dealer who can be imprisoned if they don’t get a license. Missouri has ruled it is legal to call a queer by any name you choose and question if they have AIDS. What a pity such a thing requires a ruling. Have you seen the big family meal from KFC? Only $57.99. The MicroSoft A.I. Twitter bot on a fact-based trial run denied the Holocaust, endorsed Trump, and praised Hitler.

They know the Air Force defense system is full of queers and diverisity hires..
Picture of the day.
Bush house, Salem, OR.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Summer’s barely here and it’s too hot already. Past noon it clouded over, so I have work to report. Three and a half hours again, the amount of time it takes me to install a duplex outlet. This was a struggle which took most of the afternoon because I could not work on just one phase. It is the silo window, which I marked wrong by a stud width and had to relocate the box. Ah, says my kava-fired brain, instead of cutting the wire, use it to add the north work outlet I’d planned, then just drop a wire to a new interior outlet located beside the window. It worked but doubled the effort. So, in that sense, I did get more done. Here is the progress on the vent window.
           However that is offset by how I left the outlets handing on the wall so I’d have power inside the shed before dark. I don’t mind working after dark inside, but outdoors why be the mosquitoes best friend? But then six came around and I remembered that rack of ribs that just needed heating and I made a helping of honey molasses maple beans. Life is easier for those of us not bothered by beans. That’s artificial maple, the real thing is vastly overpriced and I don’t need the sugar. Once I got the tools out for electrical work, I didn’t build my golden ratio box.

           Meanwhile Tampa played top hits of the 60s. I was expecting Spencer Davis Group and some Stones, being that was the onset of the ear of Rock. Instead, crap. The top song, they said was “Sinnerman”. Hey, I was there and wide awake and never heard of that song until today. So I looked at the rest of the list. Around 20% of the top hits were unknown to me. Let me try the 70s. There, I did much better. But—I mistook most of those songs for the 60s hits. This was during my longest music doldrum period, and as I emerged from that funk, I hit the Guitar-Center boondocks where I could not find a decent guitarist for half the 1980s. Even then, the guy that played the most had this metal plate in his head and could drink for three days non-stop.
           Then came 1987 which changed everything. At the beginning, it was one Patsy Cline song. Just one, what could come of that? By 1996, my list was two-thirds country music. I went total country by 2002, but around that time I began accompanying the Hippie. His list was heavily 1980s, so I could easily play it but even he began to admit our best songs were country duos. This pointed to a connection he was never able to absorb. It’s that since he could not play the country chops he was filling in with the very strums that he would refuse to play if I asked him directly. That long and eventually non-productive stretch is well-documented at the time. The only better guitarist of the day was Ray-B, another tale from the trailer court.
           For the record, I’ve invited Ray-B to join or attend the kava session tomorrow. Honestly, I’m worried about the guy, he’s bit a bad patch. One of the best tunes him & I ever jammed was with a random lady singer at the Jacaranda, or at least I never knew her. We played “Rose Garden” in Ab. To date that is the only band I’ve ever played Buffet’s “Volcano” song.

ADDENDUM
           Staying wide awake had me go back over the navigation process. What a difference today made. It’s been years that I stalled at the stage of calculating geographic position. That’s the single point on the Earth’s surface that the Sun is directly above at any moment in time. At some point I have done each of the four major steps in determining a line of position (LOP). This is not a complete fix, as at least one more LOP is needed so the lines cross. Also, I have forgotten some of the rules for dealing with these lines, though I recall they are easy. At this time it would require two people for me to produce timely results.

Last Laugh

;