Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, April 9, 2024

April 9, 2024

Yesteryear
One year ago today: April 9, 2023, annual lazy day?
Five years ago today: April 9, 2019, the mystery stove button.
Nine years ago today: April 9, 2015, my “racing” muffler.
Random years ago today: April 9, 2011, billboard immunity?

           Wow, talk about zonked. I still had to spend half the day at chores. I’ve rarely felt this tired without a reason. I wound up driving 30 miles around town. I had planned to visit that airplane museum, but forgot about the annual air show next door. They had the museum cordoned off as valet parking. I drove on, I’ve seen enough air showsl I had to circumnavigate the fields to the southwest of town to avoid the lineups. It’s an eerie landscare, because once land is cleared in Florida, the left alone, it does not revert to natural vegetation. Instead all manner of invasive species take over and turn any open space into scrubland.
           I do not mail important letters from nearby post offices, and today found me out in Nichols again It’s real post office open 8:00AM to Noon on weekdeays. I took the back roads home, the old motorcycle trails. Perfect weather and I wound up at the library. Not for long, but a read a book on rich kid’s playhouses in the early 19th that were bigger and nicer than the place I grew up in. Imagine, havingy your own swimming pool and a rail to tie your pony.

           For diversion, I’m reading a different-than-usual book on the Second Word War, it’s an account that holds the justifiable view that it was really a contination of the First. It’s part of a whole new generation of writing that is less influenced by the “evil Nazi” propaganda shoved down our throats since 1933. It is not quite as forward as the open questioning of many so-called facts held sacred by some.
           While it does not completely avoid certain attitudes the media has tried to ingrain, it is consistent with the modern view that an anti-Semite is not somebody who hates the Jews, but rather somebody who the Jews hate. So far the book is 90% accurate with portrayals of national characters, and face it, the Japanese were real assholes.

           If the predictions are right, get ready for some noise. This is one of those years where the 13 year and 17 year cicada outbreaks will coincide, a common multiple as they say in math.. Around here, there is an ominous silence. Silver again peaked at over $28, which seems the point at which banks begin to panic. $30 is one of the psychological break-point prices, whereafter there can be a run up to $50. This has never occured before during two consecutive years of 10%+ inflation, and with the government lying about it so much.

Picture of the day.
Fake university.
(To trap illegal students.”
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           I knew if I closed my eyes, I’d be out for half a day. So I grabbed the bass and learned the “studio” bass line to Brooks & Dunn’s “You’re Gonna Miss Me”, and it is amusing. It’s a nothing bass line, but funny in the sense that it is exactly the kind of bass line that would be played by a guitar player with a “bass is easy” mentality. There are several variations of this recording all claiming to be the hit, so what I did was amalgamate them into a single bass line. It still has that tasteless sound of inexperience. The tune uses the old G/C chord progression, and sure enough the result is bad bassists playing scale tones for the worse reason—simply because they fit.
           This stay-awake tacktic almost worked, Almost, I fell asleep at noon and awoke at 8:00PM. Yep, I missed Festus Tuesday. Let’s plunk down on a comfy chair and go over what’s happening today. The billion-dollar Powerball winner from Oregon as appeared, but there could be some issue with his identity. If some illegal alien (who are tax exempt under Biden) won, that would be a hot issue.

           Look at this audio-book. Omes with it’s own reader. No speaker, it is meant to plug into headphones or an aux jack, now standard on most cars. I’ ve not checked it yet. It seems solid state, so later I make hack it to see if it can do somehing more useful. I found it amazing in the sense something like this would ahve been prohibitively expense back in the day. Now the audio-book comes with it’s own hardware.

           My third ktichen stove burner was only working sporadically and it gave out. Rather than replace the stove, I set a two-burner hotplate on top and it works just fine. It gets blogged because the appearance ot the setup imparts the very image of empirical problem solving. Need burners? They are $19 each. Here’s the whole hotplate for $20, let’s eat. You know, I was not that great a cook at scout camp, it is that others were even worse. Biden has announced the 10th COVID booster will be ready just before election time, and he is denying that he said Easter Sunday was a queer holiday, but we all hear him say it.
           Thank you, nobody wants to hear another word about the eclipse. A million-dollar government study proves what everybody knows—that bees stop buzzing when the sun isn’t shining. California moves to allow shoplifters to sue stores that close. It’s getting so Hillary can’t show herself in public any more. Silver poked above $28 an ounce, call me when it hits $40 and again at $50. Califormia has raised the tax on people if they sell their house and leave the state. Serves them right, they voted for it.

           In the next round of good people versus Google, we are getting ads burning through youTube again. Checking on-line, this started for many over a month ago and this time Googke is making the wild clain that using a blocker is a “security threat”. They go on to say the ad revenue is vital to “safe” operations, but what sort of operation requires $5 billion per year to be safe when it is ads themsleves that pose the biggest security threat.

ADDENDUM
           Here’s one I was not ready for. Normally income distributions from REITs are in the form of dividends. The only thing you needed to watch for is how much were qualified dividents, which means they were taxed at a lower rate. So I was expecting a 1099 slip and instead Caltier issued the dreaded K-1. This is a vastly more complicated tax form and one I do not understand. The difference is that a K-1 lists your participation as company part-owner, rather than a remote investor. For example, although I show a $700 income for 2023, overall, Caltier lost money.
           Well, actually, they made money, but due to items like accelerated depreciation, the company books show a loss. I’ll quickly learn how this operates, but what a hassle, and from out of the blue. I’ve seen the K-1 form and it is not user-friendly. This is a son-of-a-bitch. Oh well, if you wanna be rich in the next ten years, you have to learn the ropes.

Last Laugh