Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, April 10, 2024

April 10, 2024

Yesteryear
One year ago today: April 10, 2023, it’s a gizmo.
Five years ago today: April 10, 2019, my turn to choose.
Nine years ago today: April 10, 2015, what did I learn?
Random years ago today: April 10, 2009, remember Teresa’s sub-prime condo?

           Put on the coffee, we are not moving this morning. Heavy chest congestion, so let’s use some of the time to look at the audio-book player with the brand name “Playaway”. The premise is that they must have used some kind of jack to upload the files. So far, no luck but I ran across a video of some guy speaking a foreign language, probably accented Urdu, which interested me [the video] because he went about the hack using techniques I used decades ago. Find the I/O pins, solder some leads, connect it to a PC, keep trying every option until the files display. Then try every trick in the book to make them play.
           No link, but that could have been me twenty years ago hacking a DOS disk. He tried everything to open the files, including copying them to other computers. He tried renaming, converting, and uploading new files to the player to see if it would recognize any. Unlike so many, I can tell this operator has tackled the procedure systematically. So even though he failed, as I often did, I watched the entire video because such thoroughness is rare.


           This is a galaxy photo by the Webb telescope. Using various enhancements, the invisible parts fo what looks like a stellar explosion are revealed. You know, much as I find these things fascinating, I just don’t buy the cover story. You know, that details on the formation of the universe billions of years ago are pressing questions. One reason is most other sciences have resulted in here-and-now improvements many people could point to. So while I’d rather see my tax dollars going into outer space than single mothers, I don’t see pictures like this as “vital to our understanding”.

           What is a bone density test? I’ll find out on the 23rd or so. My next MRI scan, plainly a favorite insurance billing item, says I’ve never had one since age 60, which you finally got me to admit I’m past that. Further information is that injury has healed, but this is the year I get several things looked at that I’ve been skirting, such as skin tags. Never had them until Florida, same with lots of people.
           Mind you, the spring has been perfect, if you don’t mind chilly nights. Only sometimes, I mean, last night the low iinside temp was a nice 76F. Can’t beat that. I called Bradford, who was unable to confirm whether he or the fat guy would show up tonight. Now, folks, this is where band managment comes into play, even if some types don’t want to recognize it as a separate skill. Bradford was the one who told us the fat guy would be absent for a month, but when I called this afternoon,it was like I was waking him up and reminding him.
           This is no idle oversight. It involves things like loading up vans and people driving over 40 miles. The fact people complain to me is all the evidence needed who is the natural leaders, but unless I accept the role, I don’t want aspersions on my record. This is not the music part, to if you’d like some more depth on the matter, read the addendum. That’s the politics, not a review of the event.
Picture of the day.
718 Perry St, Helena, AR 72342
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           This was the final “jam” at the club, at least in this format. This decision was based on a number of disconnects. The one not mentioned is that the staff is a full generation and a half younger than the clientele, which plunks them squarely into that bracket where they trust their own judgment instead of reading the room. The jam was not working out like any of us wanted and tonight drew attention to that. Nobody showed up except Bradford. As with previous weeks, instead of my duo showcasing only our best material, we were spending up to two consecutive hours on stage. What’s more, is following my lifetime of experience, we are not a loud band, in fact, loud detracts from our audience appeal. We play about average jukebox volume, better than too loud.

           And we don’t play quite the mix for that place (nor did we ever claim to) because we are not the Eagles/Young/Clapton bunch. When the regulars show up, they love us, but when the millennials show, some of them prefer recorded music to live. Now the clincher for tonight, I could not find the spare microphone. I tore my place apart twice and started the show an hour late, sharing one mic. No harmonies and it was a stark reminder that our arrangements require the full abilities of both entertainers. (I will address this topic in the near future.) We are going to have to be satisfied that the past six months has given us invaluable stage time, but also exposed a number of limitations.

           With that in view, my decision is to look for a better match for our material. Two places spring to mind. There is a wine club that has sidewalk music. They would be a simple yes or no for say, $60. I would take it as it keeps us gaining stage ti
me, by far the most productive part of what we do. The other is several local jam sessions with differing formats but and older age grou
p.. One that interests me is where you sign up for a slot, it’s a restaurant over in Bartow, a genuine improvement suites us, for example, my plan tonight to catch the late walk-ins fizzled. Because the staff signalled us to quit early (for the jukebox) exactly where I had timed our best material.
           One big disappointment for me was not finding any clubs in the area hear the Prez’s house. Ten miles north of him is bluegrass country, which I don’t rule out but it’s fforty miles away. Utilizing all resources, I cornered Bradford for information because he shows up at every possible jam or get-together in the township, even checking out restaurants that have sing-a-longs. I’ve told you, he’s been here his entire life, so invite him to his own places he wants to play and chances are, fi there is a guitar player, he’ll know the guy.
           At this time, I advise patience with the whole music part. There is a suspicion that the fat boy has complained to the club about us performing in his absence. It is known, for some unfathomable reason, the head barmaid is a fan of his. It would explain a couple of things. I’ll follow up with what leads I have. The local market has been saturated for years, every gain is another’s loss. I am
           The band itself? Let’s pause for assessment. This is not A-room, we have worked consistently toward that “amateur” sound described elsewhere. Despite the normal challenges, the organization remains solid, in fact it is often now the Prez who wants to schedule extra rehearsals. It’s me who lacks the old energy. Further on the positive, our song list is continually being honed toward a core of great tunes, and we do not pretend to play newer material that is not conducive with our style or target audience. We are not a band for everybody but have plenty of times we’re connected with a crowd half our age.

ADDENDUM
           My decision for this evening is based on a number of elements which I am under no obligations and owe no explanations. Hey, that’s a two-way street and nobody keeps me u
p to date. Last week I cleared with the barmaid to start later so as to catch the bum’s rush from the craft brewery up the way. They close at ten, but like to be out of there quick, so they begin an often aggressive last call as early as nine. Experience at the jam says nobody shows up until around 9:30PM anyway.
           Hence, my plan is I will show up around 7:20PM. If the fat guy is there, I stay for a beer & leave – depending on circumstances. The Prez has been stung too many times showing up to find nobody there. That reflects the other guy’s complete lack of professionalism, not even a phone call. Other people have been likewise disappointed. The staff’s attitude is not helpful, that it’s a jam so no big deal if they show up or not, like that xylophone couple that drove all the way here from east of Lake Wales. Others don’t appreciate what it takes to just show up at a jam.
           Thus, I will know well over driving time for the Prez if there is any activity. It also leaves me time to set up my gear at a leisurely pace and not be unaware of who is in the audience that showed up to play. The Prez has stated he will not make the trip any more without proper notice, so that excludes everyone else who has ever played that jam. Every one of them is unreliable, yet they decry any form of management. So tough if they get left out of the loop.

           At 7:20PM, if there is nobody there, I contact the Prez, who will make the 22 mile drive. He is now retired and does not have to get up at 5:00AM, but a good band manager respects the parameters. This gives him time to show up, I could run the show myself but do not want to, I spent years locating the right guitarist for the job. And you should hear the guy now. If the fat buy is there, I won’t play except by request, which is a 99% no, I’ll stay for a beer, maybe two, because I have not been out of the house since last Friday. I’ve invited the xylophone couple and the guitar player who does the Frostproof circuit.
           If it is a go, this will be our first full-scale gig at the club. Every time before was a simplistic jam with other hosts, or a late start, wrong equipment, always something but a go-ahead tonight is telegraphing that my band wants to work there. It would help if the Friday barmaid takes over for reasons mentioned elsewhere—although she is a fan of the fat boy, which is a mystery to me. I will attempt to video the show if it flies.
           Nor is this any of the interpersonal drama part. What I’ve described here are the ordinary logistics of putting on a show. I wish it would go away, but it never will. The best I can do is keep the drama at a surface level and I find the people wh
o are motivated to play eventually draw the correct conclusions. No wonder only one startup in 88 makes it to that first gig. And if you blame yourself, you won’t make it even that far. Band management, I find, has never been documented on the level where all this actually takes place. They only write books about the easy part of finding gigs and such. Now, break a leg.

Last Laugh

           x margin-bottom: 1em; margin-right: 1em; margin-top: 1em; margin-left: 1em;