Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, September 18, 2024

September 18, 2024

Yesteryear
One year ago today: September 18, 2023, saws, paint, & wire.
Five years ago today: September 18, 2019, the Cumberland Gap.
Nine years ago today: September 18, 2015, I see televisions.
Random years ago today: September 18, xxxx, WIP

           From a military standpoint, it was a master-stroke. Igniting the lithium batteries of 3,000 types known to be associated with terrorists, or implicated by mere possession. Tactical genius, and strategically brilliant as it’s impossible for them to explain by some of the pagers ignited in various European capitals Those who engage in low-level attack can hardly complain there is retaliation . (I stress I do not take sides, I am a student of military history.) Good morning, terrorists, if they can do it to your pagers, they can to it to your phones and radios.
           Pancakes & coffee, because I do believe we have the first nice day of weather this fall. I measured out the space for the space heater and decide since it has no remote, a wall-mount is best. This weather means the window are open. I’ve place the wind chimes on the birdfeeder to alert me for the squirrel and I have a round in the chamber. He is just not getting the message any other way.
           Today, this blog surpassed 2/3rds of my lifetime goal in individual clicks. I do not know how many are repeats or regular readers. Sorry, no statistics, but I may make it yet. Wait, I can part with one number. My best month ever was just over 112,000 hits in August last year. Most months are far less, but I rarely go below 1,000. Not bad for a guest account. My third most visited post, September 14. 2013 is a puzzler. It features a lock and a lizard. Figure that one out.

           Lifting A/Cs and hauling stuff around are not my strong points, I’m taking today off. Lee has offered to diagnose the Gigrac next trip to Tennessee, Some news, the entire management team at 23andMe has resigned. This is the DNA company owned by the Google founder’s wife, the same company that “leaked” the entire personal information of their clients last year. It’s easily the most shadowy of on-line operators. I can’t pronounce her last name but she’s the sister of the lady who owned youTube before she died. Scary stuff.
           The people who do these things passed a law that all new cars must have AM radio. IBM has switched from announcing massive layoffs to quietly axing a few hundred per day. Tupperware is bankrupt, failing to switch from home parties to on-line shopping. MicroSoft is beefing up its moves to force customers on-line. Customers who will not cooperate with “perpetual licensing” will face slow deprecation of their systems over the next two years. This won’t affect me, since I stuck with Win XP.

Picture of the day.
Brillantmont Boarding School.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Tired or not, I skipped siesta and read another Chapter of 1421. It supplied a lot of facts but the book still contains a full load of conjecture. In my younger days, I saw many stone markers and small towers that were not the work of the locals. And I’ve read quite a lot about shipwrecks, enough to know you can find them all over the place on the wrong continents. Like the wrecks near Freemantle in Australia and way up the river in near San Francisco. The aboriginals did not build 100-foot long seagoing ships held together with brass bolts.
           Now there is evidence of DNA mingling in both those localities. The stone markers, I think, are the Chinese versions of planting a flag and the towers are akin to lighthouses. One sure thing is hundreds of these artifacts were already gone to ruins by the time the first Europeans arrived. At the same time, no, I do not think these places should be renamed in anybody’s honor. This world if full of people who never got it together history-wise. The Chinese burned all their records, so tough luck you want to be that stupid. As time tells us, these people and their efforts amount to nothing until somebody arrives who knows what to do with it all.

           Whoops, I opted for a nap and snoozed past midnight. Making coffee, I read up more on the Chinese voyages. I’m not sure how the botanists determine if a plant species is native to an area. There are many reports of explorers arriving to find coconuts and Asian wood trees already established in places like the Caribbean and corn growing in the Philippines. One day I’ll get around to studying corn, but not the Monsanto crud that passes for it. Of most interest to me is these small towers or mounds found on so many coastal areas, most in ruins. Too many are a step-pyramid style to ignore a common source.
           The corn is also intriguing because whoever grows it would quickly establish you get three times as much food from the same acreage in rice. My study habits are solidified enough to know I won’t read further on a topic like this more than every few months after my brains cycles through a full spectrum of other things I find interesting. I could, but I would not learn the material I’m jotting this down to remind myself. The shipwrecks are too complicated for me and it seems that qualified ship-builders are never the ones who examine these things. All too often most of what gets reported is that the ship was not Portuguese or Spanish in design.

           Early reports that the Teamsters, a traditional leftist bastion, is overwhelmingly turning to Trump. This is terrible news for the regime. And have you seen the lineups already beginning for Trump on Long Island? That is supposed to be deep blue territory. We are heading for some manner of monstrous event that makes me glad I live 40 miles from the nearest city. We have news from Bryne in Texas. He is not doing well, reporting stomach complications. It’s serious.
           Further reading shows the toriodal shape of the power amp is just cooling fins. There may be an ordinary power supply on the interior. Oh well, too late now. But once again I point out that despite my travels far and wide, my spectrum of interests, and my routines which bring me into contact with just about all classes of people, I do not know anyone who could help with this amp except one guy who lives 750 miles away. Something has gone really haywire in America.

ADDENDUM
           Later news arrives about the pager attack. It was not the lithium batteries, but an explosive placed into the device at the factory level. That factory is in Bulgaria. The Israelis learned the terrorists had ordered 5,000 pagers as their smart phones were compromised. Then planted the explosives at the factory. The Israelis then spoofed a call message. The pager was activated by an error code and triggered when the user pushed the cancel button. This maximized the odds the pager was on the body of the target. I support neither side but I dislike those who pretend innocents only die on one side or the other.

Last Laugh