Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, October 15, 2024

October 15, 2024

Yesteryear
One year ago today: October 15, 2023, first duo gig.
Five years ago today: October 15, 2019, it was 50cc.
Nine years ago today: October 15, 2015, SlamTrak.
Random years ago today: October 15, 2016, 7:55AM.

           My beautiful maple mitre box is wrecked. The water got to one corner and warped the box. My temptation is to put a an entirely new roof over the whole shed assembly. The city is still digging out even ten hours of sleep seems to do me little good. Today, we plan a trip into Winter Haven, where the streets have no name. Needing a laugh, I read the comment section on the Harris rally in Flint. That’s funny, very few sweeping photos of the crowd, but plenty of comments that it was huge. It was also staged. Trick repeats of Trump events, even the fake lady fainting and the Poon pausing until she was okay—copied right off a Trump rally. The Demtard’s are melting down in desperation. Their traditional “we’re all in this together” scam isn’t working.
           How desperate? They are trying the cognitive decline angle, a tacit admission it hurt them bad on Biden. How about messages from Harris to get well soon. I admit to knowing little of the politics, but I love watching libtard antics, especially when they have to eat their own. Hauling a gaunt-looking Obama out to rag on Trump shows that he still thinks this is the 2016 election. On about single incidents nine years ago as if Trump has repeated them daily, like “calling POWs losers”. I saw that. He called one particular POW a loser and for good reason.
           This picture shows a flooded roadway near Plant City this morning. Note the height of the railway embankment to the right. That’s one foot above predicted high flood level and it is higher than the roof of my van. Much as I shun driving through standing floodwater, I stayed on this road for twelve miles into the city. The surrounding fields are all flooded as the area is said to be exactly at sea level.

           Fool that I am, I have not yet scheduled that back operation and it’s now affecting my overall performance. I drove to the south end for some supplies and carried on driving for four hours. Down miles of new-to-me roads less than 30 miles from here. That’s a sure sign that I’m no longer a weekend motorcyclist, if I can still find uncharted territory some eight years after I’ve lived here. I wound up way past County Line southwest of Plant City. Around then, my CD player gave out. Reading error. This is the unit replaced just months ago. They are not wroth repairing so it means a whole new unit, but I may be able to do it myself.
           Part of the roads were still flooded, I tend to forget Plant City is build on old lake bottom muck only a couple inches deep. One again, I confirm it is no longer possible to stop in a small town diner for a coffee any more. A sorely missed American tradition, gone forever. To ever return, one would have to dismantle the franchise corporations.

           Plant City, I’m glad I did not wind up there. Prices were low while I was looking and there was a chance for that place. It is a nothing, characterless area with a boring downtown. Out of tradition, I stopped at the bakery for a sandwich, It is now staffed by Cubans and they were out of lettuce. I then discovered, even with my walking stick, I can now walk just six blocks without a rest. Why am I so apprehensive over this procedure?
           Then to make sure I have a rotten day, I took the oldest, crookedest backroad back to town, only to find it packed with cars. Salem Church road, bounded on four sides by wide, straight, dry, direct roads. But on a nothing Tuesday, just because I wanted a relaxing drive, I got a traffic jam. To top it off, y’day this blog had the lowest readership in years. While 47 may be a tall readership for featureless, bland writers, for me it is an alarm clock. Like a saloon, loose your clientele once and you may never see them again.

Picture of the day.
Muottas Moagl.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           This is Superman ice cream. At $6 a scoop, it’s a rarity for me. This is in plant City this afternoon. I drove around a bit, realizing how little I know of the surrounding cities here. Don’t even know my way around Brandon or Tampa. And I don’t know the flavors of Superman ice cream. My guesses are banana, lemon, smurf, orange-strawberry-vanilla, bubblegum, and some fruity-sweet black cherry.
           Here’s a loop for you. I was listening to the audiobook “Tiger’s Claw”, a hypothetical war over the South China Sea (the Spratly Islands) when the CD player broke. Moments before it mentioned the name of the aircraft carrier China refurbished. I can’t spell it but where did I know that name from? It hit me, it is in the book I’m reading, “1421”, it was the name of one of the eunuch admirals. It was a long drive giving me time to plan ahead.
           We are not day-to-day broke, nothing like the way I was raised, But for the long-term, last August was a body-blow. I will not again operate at a surplus until May 2025 and I hope like hell nothing else goes wrong. Over the past 22 years my records show what went wrong, but never more than two at a time, and never two big expensive items. Now some good news. Hardest hit was my investment budget (because it is the newest item) but I can still plug in $50 every two weeks as long as we don’t get torpedoed. This may not sound much to the world, but to me it is solid proof I was right that slow and steady is the best backup plan.

ADDENDUM
           MicroSoft got me again. I had a great addendum for you with the comments made about a Texas homeowner who shot a burglar, then went back to bed. Hilarious. But the screen seized as I went to save my work and could not be recovered. Here’s the best I can do from memory.
Maybe the man had to get up for work.
Perimeter secured, Sir.
Maybe he could have called the Coroner?
The burglar should be fertilizing the garden.
Lots of people wait until morning to take out the trash.
Hopefully he dragged it outside, no sense staining the carpets.
Nothing to lose sleep over.
A good night’s sleep is highly underrated.
He’ll need a rest before answering all the unnecessary questions.
Stiffs are easier to move if you wait till they stop twitching.
           Yep, my screen just locked up. And people wonder why I never pay for MicroSoft products. But, but, cries some jobless GenXer, if you paid for, they would have fixed it by now. That is proof these GenZer-types don’t know much about history.

Last Laugh