Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, July 31, 2026

July 31, 2026

Yesteryear
One year ago today: July 31, 2025, not work. Nope.
Five years ago today: July 31, 2021, sedition, I tell you.
Nine years ago today: July 31, 2017, small down justice.br /> Random years ago today: July 31, 2014, notes, scribbles, plot.

           Rain. How about a fine DIY video from Florida’s most semi-famous back yard? From birdie paradise, here is a view of the mystery burrow. I’ve not seen such a thing before, like something came out of the ground, dug a 14-foot long shallow trench, and burrowed again. I was up late (not tired) and could not get my servos to turn. It’s a wiring problem, I think it isn’t grounding right. Motors always have a separate (stronger) power supply, but they must share a common ground with the microprocessor. I will simply try all nine combinations.
           Do I paint that lumber or finally watch that documentary on the downfall of Schlitz beer? I was under drinking age when they flopped, but I heard the stories. They changed one ingredient to make it cheaper by the barrel, and sunk out of site. My interest? That the company was made big by an accountant, and it was a bad accounting decision that caused the downfall. I heard the story that it made Milwaukee famous because of a fire that burned down the city. The brewery sent a free barrel to each man who lost his house.

           Later, yes we have game camera activity. In fact, a lot of it. Even when rendered down to blog size, there are over 1,200 pictures. I’ll begin sifting through, meanwhile the daylight shots are faster to process and here are, if you spot them, a family of three. But pickin’s are slim and it is not these tiny mammals tearing up trenches in my back yard. Wait patiently as I begin my project to bring you the best in Blogland that money cannot buy.
           I got outside three hours this morning, but could not get up to speed. It was muggy and all I could think of was those cans of ice cold ginger ale in the cooler. I repaired a second set of full size saw horses. This entails removing the old legs and replacing them with nice cut new pieces. They are darn handy when needed, so I decided to treat them to a nice coat of paint. I used the best type of paint for this job, it is called “free”. Actually, this color is not that bad. I did the mailbox post with it while the can was open.
           Here’s the saw ponie resting upside down while the dark blue-grey paint dries. If it doesn’t rain. I used latex paint, the theory is that any paint is better than none. This ordinary easy action of painting gave me slight muscle soreness, but this much exercise was a good call for a muggy day like this. I experienced tightness across the chest just under the surface that, I imagine after so much time, I may have [this] for life.

           In navigation these days, the final step in determining position (and the first step of the follow-on plotting) is the use of Sight Reduction tables. These are tables that pre-calculate the Sun’s distance and direction to every other integer point on Earth’s surface between 60° North and South. Did you catch the important word “integer”? Each minute is 60 nautical miles. That means anywhere you could be is a maximum of 30 miles from the nearest such point. I’ve used the tables, and they are tedious, though a blessing compared to doing the arithmetic by hand.
           So early today I thought I’d look on-line for a graphical representation of the tables. Nope. It is the tables or nothing. If you are curious, the way it works is you guess where you are (called dead reckoning) and take a sextant reading. Then you choose the closest integer point to where you think you are and compare the calculations from the Sight Reduction table to your actual sextant readings. You then know how far you are from that point (sextants are very accurate instruments). The average seems to be 10 to 12 miles. Not bad in the middle of the Pacific. Not good if you are 8 miles from land. That’s why boats still have lookouts.

           I had replace the batteries on my car timer and forgot it running on the kitchen counter. It timed how long I took to get ready to step out the door this morning. What I used to do in five minutes today took nearly forty minutes. Hence, I conclude getting old is being equivalent to being a lazy 25-year-old.
           Here’s a useless photo, but I like it because I consider today a success. Lots done and not tired. These look like ordinary wood screws with my gloved hand clutching a few, but wait. I prefer the length 3-1/4” so they don’t poke through. Those are 4-inchers. What gives? Well, every handyman knows sooner or later many a wood screw needs reseating. Like repairing saw ponies. A small supply of these extra-long fasteners are a boon.
           It was no-go trying to get details, but the Trump watchdogs are apparently able to track down voters who registered fraudulently on-line. Everybody knows there was fraud, I want to know how they are tracking this. And when will the technology be turned on everybody? Have you seen the specs for 6G cell phones? They can see through walls (Lidar) and monitor your heartbeat even when turned off. They can create a virtual “3D twin” of the world which can be monitored without your consent.

Picture of the day.
Happy in Texas.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Strange it is to me that every guitar player I ever met believes the COVID hoax. It just tips me off they watch too much TV. They seem unaware the whole issue was debunked years ago, it was nothing more than the seasonal influenza, but you cannot argue with people who have been brainwashed. Myself, I read three books on virology 2010 to 2013 and listened carefully to the 2019 “trust the science” broadcasts. Very carefully. Did you? I’ve heard everything both the believers and non-believers have to say. (Or at least have heard nothing new in years.)
           It seems the believers have all been coached to say they know sisters, cousins, and sundry neighbors who “died from it” if you point out the slightest inconsistency on them. Like how the seasonal flu disappeared. One thing I’ve never heard is one of them demonstrate a working knowledge of the opposite position.
           Here’s a view of the latest kudzu attack, the Japanese vine of terror. It loves the Florida winters and I was away for half of this one. This plant cannot be eradicated, the roots go 35 feet deep and keep coming back. I let the plant grow in the back yard for shade but otherwise dislike how it crowds out native species. There should also be a pic of the painted fence post on the mail-box, these items make the grade because I was able to get enough done to call the day a winner—without getting drained. You know how many times I’ve welcomed a day like that only to be disappointed the next.

           Watch Spain. We’ve gone over the situation with Melilla long ago and the world finally noticed it today. Somehow 60,000 Africans suddenly acquired the cash, organization, and floaty-toys to get around the barbed wire by sea. That tells you right away who is behind it, but I say no sympathy. Spain refused the use of air bases, so I say cut them off everything. See how they deal with this.
           The communist government (they never learn) claims 37,500 of the illegals have been returned. That still leaves over 20,000 roaming the streets of a city with barely that many inhabitants. The invaders (the correct term) are 100% military age men. Again.
           Another prediction made here is that this mid-term will be like no other. I don’t know enough political science to be specific, but I knew Trump would ramp up activities the opposition is known to abhor and find difficult to counter. Exposure of their tactics and their squirming under questioning has hurt them dearly. Fauci pleading the Fifth over 100 times. To add to the Democrat woes, it seems ICE, in an extremely popular move, has just arrested a plant manager in the Carolinas for employing illegals. This isn’t a publicity stunt, that bastard could go to jail for 15 years.

           What do I speculate Trump might do? End the IRS, that would make him an American saint. But I unshakably believe Trump is going to spring something at the last moment because he knows the Democrat system is too arthritic to react. This is not cut and dried, because of an unknown entity, that is, people who choose sides instead of parties. People tend to forget more a third of Americans are “independents” but this does not mean they vote for any old non-aligned candidate. Far from it.
           What really happens is where Republicans and Democrats will vote for their candidate, independents will vote for the person they like the best. While this makes them the right kind of American, it also makes them what the media calls “swing” voters. You need them to win. I am a middle road libertarian, a word that has been tarnished by both parties and the media. It really means that I believe the role of government should be very small and even then confined to matters like paving roads and the post office. Who will run the country? Nobody, like it was before and did just fine.

ADDENDUM
           This concludes an intentional month off. Make that physical, because the financial and situational strain has been astronomical. I just spent $18,000 that I don’t have. To spare, I mean. I wore out my backup van, my condition improved maybe 5%, and I discovered you can sue people for inflicting “emotional distress”. And the distress can be intentional or negligent. Wish I had known that back in the day.
           As if things were not bad enough for the Democrats. Remember America PAC (Political Action Committee)? That’s Elon Musk from 2024. TMOR readers, here’s the background. Money wins elections, the only difference is how much America amplifies that. Musk pumped a quarter of a billion into helping Trump get elected. No big deal about that, Musk is just reactivating the PAC. What’s serious is two different elements.

           One. This is not an election year. It is a mid-term. And which blog told you long ago this would be no ordinary “sleepy” election like the Democrats had been planning? That Trump’s long-term plan was not to confront, but to undermine the cartel-like grip the political left had on the American civil service. Trump cut off the grift, sending the left into a tailspin with less than 100 days to the vote.
           Two. Musk, unlike other PACs who hand out cash and favors, does not focus on political issues. He goes after voter turnout. The Republicans, who generally condemn welfare, immigration, surveillance, taxes, and corruption, are also a significant majority. The problem is getting them out to vote. They are not driven by any common fanaticism as is the opposition. And that is why Musk is, to the Democrats, an especially dangerous man. He does not focus on word-salad, he will send out supporters to knock on doors.

           Wait, there’s more. Musk is pouring in hundreds of millions. There are other PACs who have at least $300 million.already. And remember the MAGA fund the Democrats have always mean-mouthed? It backfired and caused voters to contribute $400 million. The Democrats were illegally funding themselves through kickbacks from phony charities they set up for the purpose. But Trump has choked off that supply, called USAID. Money-wise, the Democrats are in serious arrears. They still have not paid back their 2016 "donors".

Last Laugh