Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, September 22, 2026

September 22, 2026

Yesteryear
One year ago today: September 22, 2025, includes train stations.
Five years ago today: September 22, 2021, just another day.
Nine years ago today: September 22, 2017, 5:15AM.
Random years ago today: September 22, 2010, mostly computer talk.

           Trivia. Instagram, which sold for $2 billion, was created in 60 days in 2010. Knew y’day when I was able to walk around half the afternoon, I should plan an easy day. It is now 5:00AM and I woke extra early to make biscuits, gravy, and coffee. Gravy with mushrooms because last week when the critter raided my kitchen, the only spice he took was my umami. Gnawed the cap off and ate half. I will find half things to do today, let’s see what I come up with.
           You see, I just know one day somebody will read this and think there is some magic wand. A wand you wave and say, “hand me something interesting to do today so I don’t sit around with my finger up my [nostril] all day watching cable TV reruns like the population.” Nope, you want to avoid becoming a non-cosmic peon of the legume league, you got to devote some time to restocking the magazines.

           First on my list, after noticing I am out of coffee again, is this picture which requires context. What’s the big deal with plastic trays of plastic parts? Hours of frustration, that’s what. These are the two boxes I misplace the most often. I have wasted hours looking for where I set them. No more, today they get a special box of their own. I may also begin clearing out the spare room, due to the realization that I will not have the energy to put it into the shape I would like. So might as well convert the space to a convalescent, er, I mean, constructive area.
           Finally, noise. The fire engine over on Jefferson. That woke everyone up, at least those who get to sleep past dawn on Tuesdays. I can now grab the bass in the morning and play a half-set (about 20 minutes). Then a peek at Jimmyr, because I recall when it was a news amalgamator. Now it is 30% anti-Trump. Not anti-Republican, that would raise too many questions. Today they are lauding a mixed race couple who have been together 15 years, I suppose that is rare enough.

           What is the most common consumer complaint? Hint, it was first mention in this blog back in 1985. The Hewlett-Packard ink cartridge rip-off. The outfit that has over 600 cartridges, most differing only in the shape of a plastic fitting that prevents them from being used on other printers. Most common complaint is refills being denied over “non-HP ink”. So you’ll know, Cadbury’s chocolate is no longer made in England. The factory moved to            Poland years ago for the cheaper labor. It is owned by Kraft.
To be fair, Cadbury’s once had a royal charter, and they invented the chocolate Easter egg. Back in the States, the Director of Intelligence has suggested Trump pardon Assange and Snowden, then appoint them top authority in rooting out the Deep State. Stranger things have happened.

           Ha-ha, a quiet day off in Florida just because you are retired? A check on my lithium battery charger shows that just sitting in the last use in Miami (it should have completely charged on the way home as the car puts out 12 volts at 2amps). Nope it sits at 25% and doesn’t seem to want to take a charge at all, but I will leave it overnight. Then I checked the KIA. Stone cold dead with that brand new Everlast. I tested it with the latest charging model which says it has a 70% charge, but it would not turn over the motor. If the unit is kaput, the timing would make it another PPP.
           I can hear the kitchen radio from the front yard. Yes, I foolishly worked quite hard today, but think of what I got done. Do you have any idea what it would cost to pay somebody for this work? I’m fully aware one day I won’t be up to this, and I had to cancel Festus Tuesday, not sure I can keep awake when these simple chores can so long. Trump is letting in 17.500 legal South African immigrants and the Democrats are furious. Because they are all White.
           I missed the details, but Tampa radio is on about some lady whose kid was shot robbing bus passengers. “All he was doing was robbing them,” she cried. Single parent. Guaranteed. On welfare. Guaranteed. Odd, I thought, that Democrats would oppose the merger of Paramount and Warner Bros. Ah, got it—Paramount would take over Warner. Paramount is Trump-friendly and Warner owns CNN. In about a week, getting banned from the White House is going to be the least of CNN’s worries.

Picture of the day.
Listening to their dead son’s heart
beating inside a recipient’s chest.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Since I’m in the yard, might as well haul out the chain and move the KIA, then throw it on the charger. I said no big projects today, I think I lied to myself. Here’s the hook-up and tow the KIA to the front yard. To ward off the snoopy city inspector. This required over two hours but that includes a number of times I had to saunter back to the shed to get something. For example, I had to use bolts instead of hook. Large bolts, which I had to remove from old camper panels since I don’t stock large bolts.

           I would caution most people not to try this at home. Chain towing is something you don’t do alone for the first time. A snapped chain can come through your back window faster than you can duck. There is no drama here, I had slipped a nut into a bolt without tightening and it came loose. You can see the procedure is straightforward, but all the mistakes and wrong moves have been edited out. Like how I used that wrong bolt because I dropped the right one and could not find it. Same with clearing the path and hauling gear out to the front yard. No siesta, I decided to get this over with despite some strenuous lifting and pulling. I also need that chain to right some fence posts and it weighs more than I probably should be lifting.
           The charger on the KIA battery has been running 1.5 hours, I keep an eye on this stuff. In an older vehicle, check everything. Ha, in the yard I was tuned out to sounds, but when playing back the recordings I heard it all. The birds from all around associate me in the yard with feeding. They were going ballistic and I never heard a thing.while I was out there. But that stupid new phone ignores my three years of blocked callers, where do they find these GenX ass-clowns? That’s the first thing you build into phone service—permanent blocks. But you are dealing with Tyler & Brandon who think thousands of telemarket calls means they are popular.

           I was amused to find that variable name styles have slang terms, prompting me to define my own. To establish what I mean here are some examples.
userName – this is camelCase, first word all case, others capitalized, no separators.
user_name -- snake_case – all small case with underscore separator.
UserName -- PascalCase – same as camelCase with first word capitalized.
user-name -- kebab-case or spinal-case, all lower case separated by hyphens.
           My convention, in use years before this jargon, is every variable or constant begins with a v. vUser-Name or vInterest-Rate. This tells instantly what you are dealing with. Also, the variable name should be a noun, the constant should be a “verb” in that it suggest its usage, sort of. This also wards off C+ errors where the declaration and variable have the same name except for a capital letter. So, what do I call my convention? Dunno, give me suggestions here.

ADDENDUM
           Here’s an honorary photo. Anybody been here long enough to know where this came from? It was my original caddy for my soldering iron. It has never had need of improvement or modernization. You can see the power supply, iron, and some supplies, and the odd black “T” is the carry handle. What you don’t recognize is the black box below it. This is a Micronta (Radio Shack) adjustable shut-off timer that has been a blessing for years—because all too often the iron gets forgotten when you move on. For $7.99 you can’t get better. (Current eBay price is $35.00.)
           The proposed $9,000 allowance for stay-at-home mothers isn’t an increased cost. It is the amount the government already subsidizes day-care. The treaty with Greenland basically puts a stop to any Russian or Chinese moves on the island. Strategically that is justified, but one of the two proposed US military bases is astride a huge arctic oilfield.
           Anthropic is hiring, so I scanned down the list of jobs on their website. None of the offerings had a thing to do with coding or computers. A typical posting is this account executive, which, if you strip away the jargon, reads like an ad for a vacuum cleaner salesman. So I checked Indeed, only to find the same. Working with already-made A.I. models. This was not a deep study. I would like to see some actual code but got nowhere on-line.

Last Laugh