Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, September 25, 2026

September 25, 2026

Yesteryear
One year ago today: September 25, 2025, one size bigger.
Five years ago today: September 25, 2021, the last low prices.
Nine years ago today: September 25, 2017, Palm Pilot sux.
Random years ago today: September 25, 2009, emptiness illustrated.

           I was up late watching A.I. generated documentaries. They are pretty damn good and, in a personal preference, they blast a lot of second-generation youTube junk out of the water. One primary dislike of mine was narrated stills posing a videos and lack of a way to filter them out. Videos like Blue Paw, while still “cartoonish” are often as good as the million-dollar productions.
           Check back in a day, as I test drive the van. It seems okay, but we fixed the problem, not what caused the problem. My voice is gone, definitely the seasonal flu. The Reb called, all is quiet but is that a good thing? I baked apple muffins and wrote letters and e-mail. Can’t get lighter duty than that around here. My inability to see objects on end three feet away is now definite and permanent.
           I took the day off. Shopping and nothing, the way they sell you retirement. They lie.

           [Author’s note: as usual, when you see a dumb video like this it means something else is being shown. Why it’s a dumb picture of me going in and out the kitchen door. Or is it? The game camera got left on facing this angle and what you are looking for is how that back wall is till torn apart from all the wiring last year. The lower half of the wall is bare to the studs.
           This means there are several entrances for more varmints and I believe we have another possum. They are sluggish and don’t wreck stuff like rats, but they carry hanta virus and cannot stay here. Tomorrow, I’ll bait the Hav-a-hart and see what we catch. Right now, it is small signs like a tipped pot lid or a seed husk. But he’s there.]


           I’ve got enough pickets to last the month, it’s neat because the staff has learned to save the good ones for me. One of the cashiers is a former respiratory nurse. She has the same flu I do, although she is a believer in COVID. She reports the symptoms last 20 days, which is not very popular with me (my usual bout is 10 days). I drove the KIA into town and now I have $13.51 left in the bank. Relax, I’m used to living small and have all the coffee and pudding I’ll need for a while.
           It’s activity and I pre-empted the expected fatigue, snoozing away. But this flue decided to give me a rough time, Over the years, we talked about phased array radars, which can be aimed by electronically using thousands or millions of tiny dishes, instead of one big one like your old satellite dish. The ultimate use today is Starlink, which uses SpaceX rockets to launch the hundreds of satellites need for coverage.
           I’ll give it the quick description. The Starlink satellites are much closer to Earth, but you need more of them for coverage, as they are not geosynchronous. They orbit horizon to horizon in around five minutes, during which time your phased array “flat dish” picks up the nearest ones. The satellite then beams a laser to another satellite above a ground station. I was curious to learn those stations each have nine permanently fixed phased array receivers in all the cardinal directions. For all our technology, the ground to space signals are mostly good old FM radio. Lasers don’t like atmospheric moisture. They work best in space and via underwater fiber optics.

Picture of the day.
Near Jasper, Alberta.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Driving back home I passed the old club, all dark and the classic neon beer signs in the window are gone. Speaking of gone, have you seen them exodus from California? Anybody with anything going for them is clearing out. And if the Democrats steal November, they bring in the wealth tax. That is the point of no return. It’s like New York and Florida, Wall Street is a joke. There are more traders, brokerages, investment firms, and hedge funds in Ft. Lauderdale.
           The last big companies have announced plans to leave, probably to Austin. My only interest in California is watching a leftist commie state collapse. Trump scores a big win with the okay to use citizenship to monitor voting. Yep, he’s playing their own game, told ya. The Hildebeest goes bonkers over the CNN White House ban, and for good measure, Trump kicks them off Air Force One.

           Here is the Converse sneaker ad that was doctored to look like a KKK poster.
           The Reb & I talked about A.I. for most of an hour. It is well-known in progressive, modern States like Florida, many retirees discuss such leading edge topics in quite some detail. After all, nobody wants to wind up shuffling around a rehab clinic like a zombie. I described the videos I had seen and the impressive quality, but also how they never missed a thing. II used the T-34 tank documentary as an example. You could read for a lifetime to find the Soviet slang terms for the view slit protectors, and the plate to rest the track pins. A.I. did not miss a thing.

           She reports there are some books and booklets appearing the are the same format as the Twins. Remember them? Back around 2020 we bought a lifetime membership in their publishing system. But it turned out to be just as much work and the killer was it involves recruiting others to do the work for you. Yes, the work must still be done, and if you have ever tried to find good reliable workers, you’ll know why we did not pursue this.
           However, she goes further to note both the Twins have wives and she recalls their maiden names. These are “too similar” to the new company that is cranking out these new publications. I’ll tell you what the decision was here, but first, a reminder that there is absolutely no way to get any good advice that isn’t couched as a lame sales pitch. Every Zoomer wants money, no Zoomer wants to do any physical work. I understand, in a way. There are no “real jobs” left and they are surrounded by people making money off others without working. But it was no different fifty years ago.

           It’s like this. I looked at the A.I. job ads and the various software options. I even managed to sit through the lecture by Anthropic’s Lupinski, no mean feat. Trust me, this lady is no programmer. But she does exhibit a grasp of how Claude works—and that is as close to any useful information I was able to find. My thinking is very linear at this point. What is the number on problem with publications this century? Content. A million products covering the basics, but no depth.
           I’m speculating, but how did that A.I production on the T-34 get so complete? Blue Paw Print (youTube) is producing these remarkable videos. But it is all material scraped from huge data files. Nothing original. The concept kicked around today is what could this Claude to with something this is original—like this blog? Most of the A.I. material out there is one thin thread topic each. This blog contains hundreds of similar or better threads.
           For example, I’ve tried to go through the material and find all the mentions of, say, song lists, or travel tales. Impossible, I cannot do it. But maybe Claude could?

Last Laugh