Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, September 8, 2026

September 8, 2026

Yesteryear
One year ago today: September 8, 2025, automatically crooks.
Five years ago today: September 8, 2021, you still owe the taxes.
Nine years ago today: September 8, 2017, into the future.
Random years ago today: September 8, 2008, printer billing software.

           Caltier trounces everything else this morning, but I won’t part with any info gleaned from a 34 minute conversation earlier. Instead, let me recap. I know the real estate rental business, that’s why I know you need three properties to make money. I researched for two years for I was checking two things. One, a fractional real estate investment, and two, how does this on-line investing work? I was done taking anybody else’s word for it.
           Caltier was chosen over a short list of five companies, and the exception was I wanted something already five years in operation. Caltier was just under three years, but I understood the business model. Buy one anchor property outright and run your affairs (and risks) on that income. They bought others since, but the 90% occupancy rate means the rent should handily cover the mortgage and operating costs. It is one of the simplest calculations you do before buying property. And today, Caltier is collecting rents on some 1,400 units.
           Before continuing, the only pics this morning are last week’s. I didn’t hit the doggie pound on the weekend but the chow is in the van. Yikes that is getting expensive. These are some “laser blocks”, some handy spacers to get the beam in focus in a hurry and also to keep the base from wobbling as the relatively heavy cartridge shifts around. Inside, it is totally printer technology.

           I based some assumptions on Caltier’s blog, which gives enough general terms that I can fill in the blanks. They are feeling a big cash pinch due to inflation—but I did not think my redemption was material enough to move the needle. It is. To placate us, the head guy says yes, we get it as a refund, not a redemption. Fine, they don’t want to se a precedent. So, they are strapped for cash. We learned of two refinancing options, but there are two more. One is to dump a property for enough cash to keep sailing. The fourth is a backup-backup dire straits option, selling at a loss.
           There has also been an obvious change of personnel that was never stressed in the company media. The guy left holding the bag is not as seasoned in real estate as I am, but he has to deal with far bigger numbers. To me, that is not important, since that is a jam nobody else can get oneself into. I’ll stop there, as I still believe the company is on to a good thing, but that now is the time to haul in the reins and quit taking any risks at all. Be the one left standing.
           One thing is beyond certain over at Caltier, however. It is that we know as much about running that business as they do. I was a landlord at 23 years old. Now is the time to focus on paying off the mortgages selectively. No more expansion except out of hard money.

           The other picture is something getting common around here. It s an excellent wooden box that got lost in the shuffle. What was this for? Why isn’t it stained? That reminds me, my stain consumption is up 9x. The dunking makes excellent finishes but I need all the stain I can scrounge. Why was this box lost for so long? It was plainly extra-well made for something but was behind the sander since at least last year. I will stain it, since it is way to nice to just put back on the shelf.

Picture of the day.
Latest new species.
(about 900 miles west of Chile.)
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           According to foreigners, including Brits, the hardest words to pronounce with an American accent are “squirrel”, “quarter”, and “particularly”. As my traditional year end, October 31, nears, the “books” let me plan, ponder, and reflect. This is a lost year. For most of it, I couldn’t do a thing and my dog forgot who I was. I once planned to write many more letters once I retired, but I’m pretty much the only one left. I found a good woman but she never found me. If my core energy never returns, and right now that is uncomfortably possible, I might as well build boxes. Maybe even build my own? I have built caskets before, you know.
           There are no investments left that have time to cycle before I’m gone. Since Florida, I have spent more hours looking for a guitar player than on stage. If I won the lottery today, I could not truly enjoy it. Another year on my already restrictive diet has given no weight loss. Did I mention feedback from the hospital is that I was a “superb” patient on the table, so they took extra time to make everything right. Did I talk under anesthetic? Apparently not, so gals, your secret is safe with me.
           My place is a shambles. The kitchen floor is still plywood, I have two broken air conditioners, and the attic fan conked out months ago. I’m certain a lot more will come up short in the next six weeks. I was downtown today, but could not find my my favorite coffees. Stock-outs were once unheard of in America. I got sme red-hot bird fee, the small back is not $15, but feeding these particularly hungry squirrels cost more that a quarter, let me tell you.

           I did find a place that sells shaft couplers, but they are the wrong kind. These turn out to be difficult to source locally, I cannot even find hollow tubing to make my own. The sample show above retails for $15. I prefer the style with a pin, but have never seen any for sale. Last Sunday, the world barely noticed news out of Japan, where they have just invented a potential replacement for “the most important metal in the last 10,000 years”, namely copper. There’s 50 pounds of it in your car and a data center needs 50,000 tons. Not pounds, tons.
           This demand rose out of nowhere three years to with the emergence of A.I. Nobody will be opening new copper mines quickly. Enter the old nanotube from the 1990s along with the problem that it cannot be made into long wires. The answer appears to be somehow fusing the nanotubes with aluminum, which is brittle by itself. But that is all I have for you because the Japanese government has declared the technology locked down. It beats copper for weight, conductivity, strength, and pretty much everything that counts—except how to make it into wire. For now.

           Festus got shot this week. It was a good episode, if lacking the “western” theme so beloved. Some army deserter grabs a hostage while Matt is out of town (again) and Doc winds up shooting the bad guy. Other than Kitty, all the women this time portrayed housewives and mothers, dang. They usually chose them better-looking back in the good old days. And with a far higher proportion of authentic blondes.
           A vacant lot in the Faroe Islands now costs $60,000 USD.

ADDENDUM
           So Done, it is an interesting A.I. application, at least to me. You see, I have always supported reform of defamation law, making it far easier to sue without having to prove damages. The way it works now is unless you are a media figure or millionaire, it is extremely difficult. How can a ditch-digger prove he lost anything when he is falsely called a nasty name? There is another aspect that needs changing, At this time, the truth is not valid defense. That is, it is illegal to harm anyone by telling the truth—unless you are a newspaper (etc) but that is a different animal.
           I’m an advocate of “prescribed damages”. If someone falsely calls you faggot, you can collect $10,000 without proving any damages. Make the $20,000 if posted on-line. I said “falsely”. Their only defense would be to prove, at their own expense, that the defamation is true. I’ve also proposed another partial defense. If the plaintiff can show where they got the false information, their fine is halved and added on to the source.
           I’m also of the opinion that most vicious rumors stem from the same 1% or 2% of the population, and they need to be severely punished.

Last Laugh