Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, April 2, 1981

April 2, 1981

           The first profit came in yesterday. So Rob & I went out pubbing. Gotta cut out this insane drinking. I know that sounds like a strange thing to say but it’s a joke that goes way back. Rossie is sure in a spunky mood these days. Calls me old boot, 30 year old boot. Ha! Rossie, want to play hide-the-salami’? I’m still looking for a place [nearer to work] and I’m leaning toward Pt. Roberts.
           I have strong reasons, the first one being since I can’t ditch my family, I have to make it as difficult as possible for them to follow me around. If I keep my whereabouts quiet until dipshit moves near UBC, I may have defeated them. At that time – hell, there’s noting here to rent, the tunnel makes commuting a nightmare, prices are high, there’s 1 road in and out, it’s off the beaten track, hard to find, no oil rigs, etc, plus I am an American citizen [and they are not.]

           Yes, Pt. Roberts has a lot going for it in my eyes. Even their standard excuses won’t work. It’s too far to drive even if he had a car, & there are no relatives in these parts. I am, for this argument, the only thing they know here & if they show, this time there will be trouble.
           I guess RofR phoned last nite. Missed it, but it is no doubt business. Chuckle, a lot of the customers seem to think this is my first venture and is critical to my survival. If they only knew. One sure thing—this business will succeed. “There’ll be no Dunkirk here.”

           [Author’s note: I could spend a month explaining out this one, but keep reading and it makes sense. I had bought a business on Main Street. In a big sense, it paid off handsomely, because eight months later it got me the job I would eventually retire at just 14 years later. And to Rossie (pronouned Rozzie), I guess anybody over 20 did look 30.
           I was leery of my family, in particular my brother, finding me again and running up bills in my name. As a dual citizen, I could work in Canada and live in the US, but it meant commuting through a tunnel under the Fraser River, which added a half hour to every trip. Find Pt. Roberts on a map, and you can see why I paid less than ¼ the rent I would have otherwise been stuck with.

           It makes more logic if you know the only thing my brothers are qualified to work on is oil rigs. Also, this was far from my first business, just the first one on Main Street and below the radar.            The business was a laundromat. I regret that I had to sell it as a condition of employment, but it did spur me on to become a bass player for that extra cash. Honestly, the laundromat paid a lot more. This is a recent picture, I see they have a new sign, but the rest I recognize.]