Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, January 10, 2004

January 10, 2004

           Library time. I bought some VCR tapes at the Sally Ann, I see I have a collection of travel tapes to places I am never likely to go. Such as Ireland. They do a good job of making you think all the sites are within walking distance of each other, and like all travel, money is no object. Most are produced by an outfit called Questar, which uses the National Geographic format (absolutely no pictures of females between 15 and 25 years old, younger ones must be overweight, older ones must clearly mention or hug their husband/boyfriend within the first few seconds of any opening scene). Heaven forbid anyone should ever again publish a picture of an unrelated woman and man with more than a few years difference in age!
           Some people don’t understand the concept of library. I understand they only read when they have nothing else to do, and only lightly scan shallow works. It’s where they get off assuming that’s how everyone lives also. Reminds me of Ken, who did not understand why I would go to Hawaii for two weeks and just sit reading a book. Makes more sense to me than his going to Cancun to play tennis and watch TV. Here's a picture of the latest virtual ping pong game.

           I’m reading a short detective novel, 1980ish style, called” H is for Homicide”, part of an alphabetic series like “A is for Alibi”. Early 1980ish, the investigator is a divorced woman doing better than her ex and lives in a $5,000 a month oceanfront penthouse. Earlier in Denny’s, one of the staff finally came over and asked why I was wearing a jacket and a parka. When I informed him because it was colder inside than outside, he was bewildered why I didn’t speak up. Well, a) I get paid to speak up, and b) I don’t waste my time speaking to people too dumb to figure out cold. I also read a book on police interview techniques, and I think if it ever happens to me, I’m gonna “lawyer-up” right away. One thing gets me, the phrase if you cannot afford an attorney. Well, I mean, who can? O.J.? I’m not against law and order, provided the police have to also obey the law. The book portrayed the police as heroes in dozens of scenarios where they used outright trickery and blackmail to coerce evidence. I believe the Fifth should apply everywhere, not just in a courtroom, and it should also apply if you accidentally say anything not in your favor. That is, even if you confess, unless there is corroboration it should not be used against you.
           Remember Moogie? He was always in trouble with the cops, usually over his driving. He used to keep glancing at the clock so the police would think they were keeping him from something important and keeping him longer would make him break. In reality, he just liked wasting their time.

           [Author's note 2023: many of these pictures don't match the text, they were just taken in the same time period.]