Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, August 19, 2006

August 19, 2006

I was going to hit the beaches but it was overcast all day. We closed early on Saturdays and I still didn’t make it over there. I went in early today when Fred called and needed to give his wife a ride to Ft. Lauderdale or something. I spent hours trying to get Linux to work consistently between the machines with not much progress. Still, Linux techs by definition have to be in short supply so I will keep trying.
Take a look at the view on my morning ride when I do go to the beach. These palm trees are actually two blocks inland. The expensive parts of the beach are built on a sand bar that goes up almost the entire Florida coast. This view is looking northwest and the water is the Intercoastal Waterway. That is the hamlet of Hollywood, Florida, on the far horizon. Man, I am going to miss that Argus and I’ll get to that story in a moment.


A lady brought in some star fruit, named because when sliced it takes that shape. My camera is still not working but I can describe the taste. It is a sweet fruit kind of between MacIntosh apples and peaches. Mike got back today and will take a look at the laptop I busted. I did some Internet research and found a device that you plug into an old computer and record up to 16 channels of video to a hard drive. At $80 [from Tigerdirect] the user reviews say it is an excellent little system. It is a PCI card which also has an IP address, so you can view the recordings or live action remotely. “Why, look at that Ethyl, they just yarded off with your TV.”
I had to run through some laundry earlier or I’d have nothing to wear. I know you can’t wait for these exciting pictures of trailer court living at its finest, and not only that, 2/3 of the washers were working. At least they were at six this morning. Sadly, it is already getting dark earlier enough to make a difference so I prefer the mornings. I think I’ll use the dusk to bike over to Starbucks to see what is there. The G invited me to play at the coffeehouse tonight, but had to agree when I told him 35 miles is too far to drive in this city just to play three or four tunes. He agreed.
I still have not invested in that second good pedal for the rhythm box, the one that fills in the rolls. I have been practicing a little, I say in my own defense. There is also the problem of finding an electronic switch with a readout – so people will quit saying the speed is set wrong when in fact it is their own lousy sense of timing. Besides, some people would play every song too slow just to kill time on stage. Starbucks it is.
Starbucks it was. I actually finished the Saturday Sudoku. I’m glad I went as I saw a babe with a perfect figure. You can’t fool me and that was nice. There is a mean storm out over the Atlantic heading right this direction. It is a quiet evening in for me. Maybe I’ll turn on that thing they call television and see what is there. I mean, I already know, but maybe I’ll figure out one time what other people see in it.