Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, August 7, 2006

August 7, 2006

If every day was like today, I’d never have to think about a job again. I got a few extra inquiries about lessons, although I am really aiming for that school crowd now. There are ads for special education teachers in the $35-$45 range. Mind you, they are asking for more than I am prepared to give, such as my life history. It will make a lot of difference if they approach me with work than the other way around.
I rode my new bike in today. Later the cancer guy came by and made a few adjustments. For instance, the chain got loose and began to rattle a bit. The new camera, called “Gemini” is not as nice as the Argus and works best in direct sunlight. Worse, it has that annoying feature where you press and release the shutter, then it takes the picture a moment later.
Jason was in today. He runs the Karoake machines on the local circuit. Careful, I did not say he was an entertainer. He is the programmer and he had the nicest laptop I’ve seen in a while. Not many people remember those touch-screen models with the tilt up screen. He brought on in for a tune-up. This led to talk about local “live” venues, something the G said did not exist. Jason says there is one place that pays $150 looking for a duo every second weekend. That would do nicely. (This does not imply an equal splitting of the proceeds.)
Daniel, my youngest student, actually practiced his computer homework on the weekend. You teacher can always tell, not that it takes any skill for that, mind you. It is just that I am surprised and so were his parents. Today I put him through the paces with more word processing. Jim (another student) asked about how to get certain things happening with Internet service. Yeah, the truth usually comes out sooner or later. I showed him how to set the whole shebang up for himself and he was careful to say when he left that he “got his money’s worth!”


Debbie, the lady who kind of hits on me the wrong way, was in again. She is nearly hopeless with computers and I realize she needs plenty of coaching. However, she is not very good with the concept that I charge money for that. Certainly she must know by now that I am not her type. Anyway, she barely knows the very basics of computers, which makes her another potential student. She keeps hitting me up for free pointers but that is not any real solution for what she needs.
Anyway, here is a shot of Fred taking her picture. She has dynamite legs. It is not her looks that put me off, but that she sets off every alarm signal I know of. She has the Sharon B personality, where she wants a commitment for better or for worse. Especially for worse. This photo breaches security for those who recognize the background objects, but so does the bicycle photo.