Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

April 9, 2008


           Here is your first peek at the Jimbo’s executive Gold Key entrance. From the patio, members only. That’s Jackie, aka “The Troll” stepping out to take in the late spring evening. Drop back tomorrow for an introduction to the newest member of the cast.
           Marion is now in Denver, they are at last looking to purchase a house. The half-million dollar price tags in Seattle are were just as stratospheric as in Miami. They are 1/3 of the distance closer to here and she is feeling exhausted from the move. Until they purchase, it is apartment living. I managed to call before and after her birthday this year, so I’m getting better at it. I’ll think I’ll like Denver in the summer, they are buying a three bedroom.

           Mike is recovering from his hip replacement and I was minding the shop for Fred for the afternoon. The hardest thing about shopkeeping is, like the Thrift, the bad customers. But how do they know when you are home alone? One stupid lady who’s “son in Philadelphia is a computer programmer” convinced her the laptop we repaired was broken because it would not log into a wireless router in some Alabama hotel. Programmers are really smart people, didn’t you know? Look at Windows Vista.
           Or that weird French lady with the English last name, the one who keeps setting my computers to French. Today she shows up with a brand new expensive laptop. The problem? Of course, like all idiots, the first and only thing she does with a computer is sit down and start customizing the display settings. Can’t do any work on the computer, but sure knows how to start changing every setting. Trouble is, she disabled the command bar and now we can’t find it. Some weird Vista setting.

           Will brought his daughters in for a nightcap while I was at Jimbo’s to talk to Rocker Reade. Let’s get all this in the right order. Reade has left his wife and wants to play drums in a band again. Other than occasional standing in, this is not the venue. Then in comes Will with his kids. Two lively gals, both married from Tennessee and you talk about your family resemblance.
           Enough fun for one day, I also tackled my taxes, the ones that will qualify me for disability. An unexpected source of information was the bartender at Jimbo’s, who has basically the same conditions as I do. Plus he knows some dollar figures. That guy who cooks part time gets $1,100 per month. .I’m not saying this is encouraging but it shows the maximum to be higher than before. I’ll be minding the shop again tomorrow, so I’ll get this tax done if it kills me, ha ha.

           Wallace is getting prepped for the move by putting his gear into storage. I don’t recall him having all that much stuff but then, look at how fast I accumulate things. I forgot to tell him one of my buying tactics was to “personalize” the place to the seller. I told her the spare room was for Wallace to put his baby grand piano. Hey, with the money I saved us he could go buy one, you know.
           No electric bill this month. FPL (Florida Power and Light) returns your deposit after you’ve paid on time for a couple of years. So no bill next month either, it was a two month deposit. My municipal bond fund is trailing off badly. Something doesn’t add up, because those funds are supposed to do very well when the rest of the economy slumps. How did I choose the one that dropped? They pay enough dividends to keep the unit price at $10, but two months ago my shares were at $8.84. Right when I may have to cash them in, as well. It’s a conspiracy, I tell you! To keep me happy, the payouts have been smooth and that is the fund I’ll set up to pay my electric bills forever.

           [Author's note 2017: I slightly overestimated the bills and by today there is a surplus of nearly $200 in the account.]

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++