Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, April 4, 2010

April 4, 2010

           This is a free toy from Burger King. It uses invisible ink, which is then revealed by an ultraviolet LED. The problem is, the make the ink flow, you have to press so hard on the paper that the message can still be read. So I decided to reverse engineer it. It contains three watch batteries, but let me say, that was one of the toughest pieces of plastic I have ever seen. It was totally engineered to prevent being dismantled. I had to use a hacksaw and wire cutters. Inside was a complete maze of interlocking parts to prevent it from being pried apart.
           Here I am, sitting around all day, the last dude on the planet with no concept of a day off. That does not mean unproductive. Last evening I dropped in to see Hi, the guitarist, who regularly attends weekend Karaoke shows. The pub I referred to as Denny’s is now Buddy’s Place. Laura, the Karaoke show from the bowling alley was there. I did not know that she was Hi’s cousin.
           I left without singing anything, but I talked to Hi for quite a while. As can be expected for someone who has never played in a band, he looks at the process much like I did when I was 12. You practice songs. Yet, that is the most inefficient method, and slows the whole band down to the speed at which the guitar player can custom learn each new riff. I see I still have to convince Hi that is not the way to proceed.
           Time flies. I looked back in the books to find out the bulk of the cards scans I did were indeed nearly three and a half years ago. I also found a reference to the computer shop on April 8, 2005, saying they had let me advertise there. So that was just five months after I lost my last real job. Good thing I keep records, because I can hardly remember 2006. Just kidding but you know what I mean.
           Theresa and I watched the DVD “Crash”. It was like reading a Clancy novel, you have to keep track of several plots at once. It is not as easy watching such a movie; I’m terrible with names and faces. She suggested the movie because of a similar structure in “Babel”. Other than sweeping up the yard, I needed the day off and took it easy. Didn’t even play bass or go to the bookstore. Still, you deserve a little trivia. Did you know for the electrical receptacles in Hong Kong are 346 volts? There was once a reason for it, but nobody left in the colony remembers why.
           This is Easter Sunday. Not a big observance thing in Florida. Most of the guys I know went to an “underwear” show. As mentioned, I stayed home and Theresa energetically cooked us an excellent chicken dinner with all the trimmings. The last time a woman cooked for me was Robyn, in Los Angeles, in 1991. And she only ever did that once. I must say, it was quite the treat.
           It was not all good news for the little lady. She went over to her old place to find that supposedly secure location had been completely looted. I don’t know the details but it must have been an inside job. What’s scary about that is it would prove that while she was living there, somebody in the building had a key to her door. I would not doubt that the vacant property would lead some people to think they could help themselves.
           There is also a new season (I think) of the “Breaking Bad” series. Like the “Sopranos”, the plot is a mite overlong on the issues the wives have. The guy could bring home millions and women would still find something to complain about. In the first episode, the guy has a year to live, but his wife still wants a divorce because he won’t tell her where he goes. She thinks the only possible explanation is that he is cheating on her (typical). Funny, these women never take any interest in the man’s job or challenges, their only concern is how emotionally comfortable they are in the immediate present. Still, the series is action-packed where it counts.
           Careful here. I am not saying all women are like that. Because, in my life, I’ve met enough women who are not like that to personally attest it is not a woman thing. It is an immaturity and lack of education thing and such self-centered behavior is prevalent in males of the same stripe. We all know immature and uneducated people cannot mentally ever have any concept of behaving or thinking any other way than they do. They have no auto-correcting thought patterns, and I knew all about those sort of people by the time I was ten years old.
           veryatlantic veryatlantic this is a test of the google search mechanism