Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, May 5, 2011

May 5, 2011

           It’s a steam iron. First new one I ever bought in my life. But that’s not what makes it unique. It was displayed beside irons made in Japan and Mexico that sold for $29.99. I has virtually identical features, I mean, irons are not high tech gear. This one from China sold for $6.00. Some may say the quality is not as great, but so what? You could buy five of these over your lifetime and still break even. Little gems like this reveal how badly American has lost the lead.
           But you want to hear about the day. First of all, I’ve given Agent Morar the go ahead to purchase whatever he needs to get that antenna off the test bench and into production. The coffers are filling again, but I would proceed with this project regardless of whether I had any spare cash. The Gumpism on that one is as long as you always keep enough hidden away for one pay phone and one pay toilet, the rest is disposable.
           We’ve scheduled an advance meeting Friday morning, where he is to provide a list of all cables, adapters, and hardware. I will supply him with four working models of wireless G routers. I have begun coding the scanning applications and have arranged to borrow a field strength meter. Agent Morar did not know what these things were, but can that guy build stuff. I have also finished writing spreadsheets for the ¼ and ¾ wavelengths of all twelve G sub-channels.
           This is already a working partnership. He has a drill press, but has been guessing where to make the N hole as he doesn’t know the formulas. Our goal, soon to be formalized, is to design, build, and demonstrate a working robot of any description before the end of the year and return safely to Earth. No kits, no preassembled parts, no shortcuts. T’is better to reinvent the wheel than to never have loved at all.
           Mr. Will is out of the hospital and they have given him, I’m told, marijuana pills. According to the crowd he reports after taking the first one, he woke up at 3:00 AM and ate everything in the fridge and if not for a late night Italian restaurant in the neighborhood, he was goint to eat the fridge, too. I do believe I’ll fix him a batch of my baked chicken soon.
           Call me the good Samaritan. I helped this black dude push his car up to the gas station. His 16 year old daughter did not know how to steer the vehicle or work the brake pedal. Talk all you want about whiz kids and the 150 IQ crowd, let me say it straight: kids are one hell of a lot “stupider” today than they were forty years ago.
           How I would love to head to head with the champion of that “Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader” show. I would cheat by finding out what state he came from and reading all his textbooks a week before the game. As it stands, the knuckleheads they choose to go against these brats seem to have a 50/50 chance at best.
           I read an article on memory in National Geo. AJ is a woman who can remember every day of her life. She can remember what she watched on television on a Tuesday at 7:30 when she was ten years old. You’d think this would be a good thing, but it turns out she can’t remember names or numbers any better than the rest of us. If it is a talent, she has not used it to create anything. If it is an obsession, it sounds like her life has been so self-centered and boring I suspected she must have come from my father’s side of the family.
           The new Canon printer is installed and working perfectly. I love a product that works first time right out of the box. It comes with a rather nicely designed set of software as it is really a photograph printer with extra fine ink nozzles. Yes, things are moving a lot faster around here than any time in the past few years and likely to really start moving before too long.
           Last, I have a list of tunes from Staci-O that she wants to check out. I’ve been playing nothing but country music for years and quite frankly, I’ve never heard of 80% of what’s there. Good thing I’m open-minded and will give it a try, although I will reject most slow music. Sometimes when I get to learning these tunes, I recognize parts of them. The library, perpetually unaware of the measure-countermeasure principle, has again rigged their computers to prevent youTube downloads, leaving me high and dry for new music until that zigzag antenna is functional or I crack the system again.