Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, February 26, 2016

February 26, 2016

Yesteryear
One year ago today: February 26, 2015, on “perceived ability”.
Five years ago today: February 26, 2011, I diss e-books.
Nine years ago today: February 26, 2007, diabolical Sudoku.
Random years ago today: February 26, 2001, rare bus photo.

           What to do today? It’s too chilly to work on the camper and who asked for that wind? Mornings are quiet without the bakery and the Aventura library is, duh, closed on Fridays. So I’m invalided, cooped up, and just found out they no longer make the throttle cable for my Honda. That’s why I take it to a pro shop, they are going to custom make something for me. And once again, I’ll bring you the highlights of this day, even if otherwise there would not be anything of note.
           Lemme see, oh, I know. Up at HF (Harbor Freight) I took a chance on one of those el cheapo drill bit sharpeners. What a difference! It actually works. I love it, and you don’t even have to know what you are doing, a big plus in Florida. I’m more likely to bend a bit than to dull it, but I still had a half dozen that were beyond redemption. I thought.
           Then, my main music source, not specified here, announces they have chosen as the number one song of all time, Haggard’s “Momma Tried”, which I just finished putting the finishing touches on not so long ago. Pity the guitarist who thinks he’ll be the star ever trying to play that number with me. I chicken-pick the lead break on the bass. Like a pro.
           You know one stage tactic I’ll probably never use was playing the guitar over my head, or behind my head really. It was much in evidence at the concert. Not me for two good reasons. First, even my small scale bass is heavier than a guitar, and two, I don’t really have any suitable pieces of music. I have a natural avoidance for droning single-note bass tunes. So much so that I rarely even play music that has more than two consecutive same-notes. If I’ve mentioned this before, good, because I’m proud of it. The concert was full of simplistic one-note bass progressions.

Wiki picture of the day.
C. Darwin, naturalist.

           I went into the shed for some lumber and what do I find? A packet of pictures from the 80s and 90s, unscanned. I shall try to match them up with blog posts where possible, but there was zero coordination in that department so long ago. Can you imagine trying to produce a matching set while traveling overseas 5 to 6 times per year, in the days before real text and photo transfer was invented?
           Here, for example, is that blind seal in Oregon where Marion and I visited during a relaxing holiday sometime in the 1990s. Don't "vorry", that guy could find the fish food in a wink. The date on the photo is a guess. We toured the used book stores and somehow found our way to this marine research center. I think it was for research. Remind me to send this photo to Marion next letter, she’ll recollect far better than I. We stayed in a beachfront condo and it was one of the few times I let anyone else drive my Cadillac.

           The motorcycle shop is directly across from the Thrift out on Pembroke, so I had to drop in for reading material. Their selection is so-so because they pick through the donations and sell what they think you should be reading. Fat-burner diets, Harlequin romances, astrology, and fictionalized Holocaust memoirs. As I turned to leave in disgust, what do I find but two spools of “robot” wire for $6.00 each. Bonus, these sell for $58 up at Home Depot. While not full, these were the bargain of the week. Not bad, a lifetime’s supply of wire for the price of a pizza.
           Remember the donated cameras? It turns out both the internal batteries are kaput. Even my special universal charger can’t revive then long enough to see if they are worth salvaging. That’s about as technical as I got all day, this flu also puts a heavy sensation across the shoulders, much like knotted muscles. And I don’t even lift. Well, I should say I probably lift more than most jocks use their brains, but I’ll be nice.

           I not only stayed in today, I never went out for coffee—this has been known to happen. I have all the fixin’s here and lately I’ve been getting spoiled by the diner up in Lake Placid. Staying home is not bad once you learn to cook for one anyway. Actually, you learn to cook for two and invest in a lot of leftover containers. And today I had ham and green onion fritters, another of my specialties. This one does have a secret ingredient, it’s a hint of garlic powder. The green onion is more to alert the biter she’s not getting a sweet roll. Not yet, I mean.
           I was fooled for a while, these biscuits are made with lard and I had not noticed that the brand I was using came from ConAgra, which I had to cut out. They make good-tasting food, but I found out what they were using to make it so. I know it is all tested and what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, but I have to pass on the hydrogenated materials.

           No wonder I did not recognize the scenery in the upcoming movie about the two shepherd brothers. It is filmed in Iceland. The movie is called “Rams” and don’t let me miss that. There is something about movie plots that have real substance that I still like. Though I don’t mind a good Steven Segal pound-the-Chinks thriller now and then.
           Son of Pete, the cactus, is sprouting in the middle of the winter. I told you I could plant them things. JZ refers to this as a “friendly cactus” since the spines are pliable. Shown nearby, this is about the limit of the landscaping I’m about to do around this property. For reasons unknown, a group of five Canadian RVs showed up and took the vacant lots around me. That just might save the office this year, not that they deserve it.

           Trivia. Isn’t this Johnny Cash’s birthday? He recorded 1500 songs, y’know. The authorities aren’t telling you most of the confirmed Zika cases are among illegal immigrants. If the insiders kill Trump, I think there will be a revolution. The average Yankee now understands that we were the greatest nation the world had ever seen until they elected bad leaders who spun us into the ground.
           Don’t look at me, I am not your average Yankee, and I have been against political correctness since day one. I have been against welfare from the moment I found out where the money came from. And I’ve been an isolationist since I found out the USA has been manipulated by bankers into fighting two European world wars. And [how it] is still being used to destabilize the entire planet now running short of resources.

ADDENDUM
           One thing is certain, the world cannot continue if the rest of the planet decides they want to live like Americans. And remember, most of the world thinks like my family. If you have anything they don't, it is because you tricked them or stole it from them. Hard work is not a factor.
           At this point, you should probably do a little research into the “New World Order”. While I’m not a subscriber to that theory, you will quickly notice how it describes in some detail a master plan to dominate the planet. A tiny ruling elite living in wealth and luxury, with the rest of the world depopulated to maybe two billion slave-like minions who possess skills useful to the top echelon. The other billions will be encouraged to fight amongst themselves until only the rump remains and they “invite” the rich to restore order. A new world order.
           How do you like that word “depopulate”. I think that means you, and you, yes you, and you over there: pfft!

Last Laugh
Scarred for life.