Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, November 2, 2017

November 2, 2017

Yesteryear
One year ago today: November 2, 2016, ancient & useless culture.
Five years ago today: November 2, 2012, I prefer playing duos.
Nine years ago today: November 2, 2008, Canadian logic.
Random years ago today: November 2, 1982, a chat with Randy.

           We have another Total Jerkoff Award, this time to the State of Florida Toll Enforcement. Don’t you like it when they send you an “invoice”. This was that trip to Clearwater where the toll road is not adequately marked. Anybody I’ve talked to about this agrees the signs are confusing. Anyway, I pulled off the freeway at the first exit, turned under the freeway and headed within a minute or two. They charged me both tolls. So, they sent me two three page letters, I had to buy the money order for $1.29 and use a forever stamp to send them $4.08. They added another $2.50 handling fee. I had to stop to buy the money orders and make a trip to the post office by the deadline.
           That’s Florida. Around $20 of wasted time and effort to collect a four dollar toll. If these people were on fire, I would not piss on them. Little to they know I would gladly have paid them $5 bucks for this fancy picture of me on the batbike. Talk about total class, man and machine. See the blanked license plate? This vehicle is so distinct you might ask why bother? Because I would never do anything to make a bureaucrats life any easier. That’s why.

           We are on the track of the trail mix culprit. The goodies are disappearing, leaving only the filler of raisins and peanuts. First, it is the M&Ms, then the almonds, and now the cashews. If this was the newspapers, they’d say this thief has class. But that doesn’t make sense since I’m the only one around here, the only suspect.
           Oh, and get ready for some gossip. Soon I’ll have a transcript of the messages the Hippie has been sending me. Is that boy slow, or what. He thinks it was my decision to walk off the stage. Like I had some duty to put up with his nonsense. He left another message saying to ‘think twice before calling the police’, tipping us off that he is still on probation. And now we see the wisdom of not giving out my address. Too many crazies out there.
           Get this. His grand strategy is to leave messages, which he knows I have to pay for. Actually, he’s wrong on that, but let him waste time over it. He thinks the longer he talks, the more I have to pay. Wrong, I only pay a flat 15 cent fee for each outgoing text message. What’s he thinking? That he can bankrupt me by talking on the phone? What strange behavior indeed from a twerp who knows I buy houses and cars and motorcycles for cash. I’ve probably got more cash in my change bucket than he sees in a given month.

Picture of the day.
Oliveries?
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Here’s your Vivitar of the front door. Note the pile of wood plates holding it up. You can see the entire stoop is missing. It basically fell away as I raised the house to level in that section. I decided to ponder this before continuing, so I hauled three barrows of scraps and leaves to the back yard and stood there an hour watching them burn. There must be something therapeutic about burning leaves in one’s own back yard, don’t you think?

           Myself, I don’t mind the activity, but I still have unpleasant memories of the way it makes one’s clothes and hair smell. Even after a hot shower, the burnt wood aroma is still there. At least I can tell that it is. I also cut some lamp bases for Agt. R while over by the work shed. This is actually about as heavy duty as my equipment can handle. Don’t be confusing my little work shed back there with some fully-equipped work shop.
           Okay, you’ve been good so I’ll get you a quotation today. These have to be phased out. I’ll put them here if I encounter any good ones, but I can’t be going looking for them any more. If nothing else will convince you of how little originality there is on-line, try to find a list of quotes that isn’t basically a copy of every other list of quotes.

Quote of the Day:
“They say ‘Don’t try this at home’,
so I’m coming over to your place to try it.”
~Anon.

           Here’s something, this is a photo of a Finnish ship-building factory in full operation. No, it is not at noon break. The process is completely automated. Not one human in sight. Yes, they had to turn the lights on to take the picture. Ordinarily the only light would come from the robot-operated welding torches. I take immense interest in following this technology. Not only do I dislike the way the American market operates, only those people wearing blinkers were not aware this was coming. As you know, I draw a sharp distinction between people who are suffering that those are getting what they deserve.
           While in Winter Haven today, I raided the thrift for all their good books and DVDs. That’s my treat for the day. Oh, except I stopped for brunch at you know where, the old original cafĂ©, now called the Shipp Lake or something like that. Normally I like waitress types but I’ll pass on this one. Nice, but not in my league. That’s it, the excitement for the day. I’ve got some trivia. When you go bird-watching, the best migratory views are in known pathways in the fall. It seems in the spring, the dates and numbers are far less predictable.
           It would not surprise many to learn that some of my hobbies began as cost-saving activities. This is not being a skinflint. Florida has very little to offer that doesn’t cost the big bucks. I’ve been a promoter of skilled hobbyism for a long time over that issue. A coffee, a couple of munchkins and a crossword puzzle is cheap entertainment in this town. And a lot better for you than any of the alternatives. For that reason, I’ve begun to search for instructions to work those Kakuro puzzles.

           I tried following the instructions, but they don’t tell enough. Trying to figure it on my own became such a mind-bender I was not enjoying the challenge. Of course, I’d rather be chasing women but this is Florida. Then again, I never got this old living anywhere else, so how do I know it isn’t the same everywhere? Anyway, I’d still rather be chasing women if only there were some to chase. Most women my age are grandmothers. Age-appropriate dating is the fiction of dating clubs. Can you actually see me dating somebody’s grandmother? Can you see somebody’s grandmother dating me?
           And my gasoline budget has gone from $28 per month to $40 per week. It still costs me $78 per year to register my motorcycles. Florida is not the kind of place that lets you get too comfortable. I even dislike their use of the word ‘citation’ when they mean traffic ticket. Citation is a positive word, a reward for good behavior. Trust Florida to apply it to fining you over any excuse they can cook up.


Last Laugh

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++