Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, August 29, 2018

August 29, 2018

Yesteryear
One year ago today: August 29, 2017, Joe Dir-TAY.
Five years ago today: August 29, 2013, where are the parents?
Nine years ago today: August 29, 2009, and Bingo takes root.
Random years ago today: August 29, 2004, Time Magazine goes bad.

           This morning found me out in Plant City, one of the first areas I looked at in the area. That’s also the pub where, back in 2015 was it, JZ and I went in for a cold brew and that Italian lady leapt over the bar to beat up the gal who was hitting on us. Well, us and any other guys who looked like they had money. These people are money-based, not fun-based. I was out that way to visit Boss Hogg radio and plug my latest adventure. My solo bass show, heavily interspersed with one-liners. The opposite of most music acts. But, try as I might, I can only manage three hours at a stretch. Here’s a sketch on the chalk table how to get out there via Hwy 60.
           The studio is deep in the grounds and quite a hike packing an amplifier. It’s a flea market and I was well-supplied with Waller Dollars, being the guest and all. They actually let me play and sing over the air. In around 40 minutes, the address and location of my gig tomorrow went out some seven times. Will it make any difference? Who can say? It is advertising. Alas, the station does not record the interviews, so it is on its way to distant planets by now. Hey, proof that Earth had intelligent life in the pre-millennial era.

           As for the flea market, it is veggies galore. I walked around a bit. The day was muggy. I drove to the nearest coffee shop and wound up there drinking refills until noon. The place was empty and quiet and I needed the down time. I tapped into my European feed since I’m closely following the changes in Austria. The new head guy is only 31 years old and he’s an elected hard-liner. His policies were remarkably similar to what my crowd was suggesting here 35+ years ago. No welfare to immigrants. Shut down churches that practice politics. Deport loudmouths. And get rid of politicians who are not representing their electorate. That last one would be determined by simply asking the people.
           However, this is not a blog for establishment politics. I’m curious where the flash point will be in Europe. Their enlightened policies have put them in deep trouble and the liberals are twisting and turning to cover their trails. I did see one new item and I think it is brilliant. You know on your tax form how you declare a personal deduction? If enacted, in Austria the amount you can deduct will be determined by how well you speak the official language. America and Canada desperately need this type of law. I am against cultural diversity not because it is inherently wrong, but because the people it is being foisted on were never asked if they wanted it.

           Keep an eye on Austria. They are already being followed by Hungary and Poland. And remember what made Europe great was not democracy, but the fact that it has never been one big united empire. Think of it as capitalistic competition on a nation-state scale. Brussels is slitting its own throat.

Picture of the day.
Window seat.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           The studio was a hoot, but it is 68 miles round trip from where I’ll be playing. It’s state of the art, but my visit had some dead spots because the sound room has no red light. I kept waiting for a sign I was on the air. I played only samples, as in one verse and one chorus. This are strictly bass versions, but at one point I had the team singing along. Johnny Rocket, who is mostly unaware I am seeking a guitarist of the right mentality, announced I found it so much work to start a band that I just got rid of them all. Little does he know how right he is.
           On the way home I tuned to the station, which is always hard to pick up on my gear for some reason. I seem to have had some impact, but in what regard, who knows? Was Taylor even listening to that station? Nothing much else happened today, so how about I tell you which four songs I played. “Guitars, Cadillacs”, “Folsom Prison”, “Spiders & Snakes”, and “Tell Me Momma”. That last one you don’t know and it is the only Blues tune I’ll touch.
           Here is a photo of the studio, you can see the satellite dish by the chimney. I can’t fix the color on this camera, so you’ll have to put up with that pink tinge until I get another. Later in the day I heard people had seen my on-line posting for the act. I change it and update the content as the gig time draws closer. The few other people who post seem to have no knowledge of html tags. By comparison my postings are quite eye-catching. That’s about all I can do without spending money, so drop back tomorrow and I’ll tell you how it went.


           Having some unspent money near month’s end, I stopped at the ReStore on Hwy 92 and picked up all kinds of goodies. At the time, I did not know that was all that I’d get accomplished for the remainder of the day. Other than sending out all my e-mails and telling off a couple of telemarketers in their native tongues, it was all downhill after the radio stint. There’s no motorcycle to bomb around in when times are slow and the pissy rain kept me from getting any work done. I did more research into the missing hotdog stands and the facts are slowly emerging. We guessed right that a lot of shadowy characters and last-chancers have been rounded up. Not to worry with us, we can sleep nights knowing every document is in order.
           So, do I get it over with and open for business on private property? I know just the place. Charl and I were having a big laugh over the misconceptions people have about running a business. Armchair experts, every last one of them. This is double fun because quite often those who are eavesdropping don’t get what we find so funny. They must think when she comes on shift that the beer fairy has gone around, delivered the stock, filled the coolers, and polished the countertops. And it is magic how when she reaches for their favorite brewski, all the labels are facing forward.

           And don’t talk to us about hiring staff. If you consider band members to be a type of worker in my context, the average example is a schmuck. I’m not ruling anything out, but yes, I’m damn resistant to the concept of any employees. I had second thoughts about even selling hotdogs if it entailed anything but a contractor type situation. Last for now, I’m not supposed to know about it, but people were calling and asking who I was. Girl people. Fine, but will any of them show up?

Last Laugh
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++