Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, October 6, 2018

October 6, 2018

Yesteryear
One year ago today: October 6, 2017, spooge?
Five years ago today: October 6, 2013, I voted for change.
Nine years ago today: October 6, 2009, another business no-go.
Random years ago today: October 6, 2016, neither is Juice.

           Yeah, I injured my knee. So today was and old-fashioned “office” day. Taking care of logistics. If that sounds boring, I say compared to what? Last evening I went out for a nightcap and the ATM was on the fritz. So I had to borrow ten bucks to wait for my Karaoke turn. I figure at least I was out there. I wish there were lounges in this area instead of only bars and such. Well, we have a lot of restaurants that sell booze, but they won’t stop pushing food on you. Besides, I have an aversion to eating and drinking at the same time. In my world, they are separate social sequences. Here’s some flowers blooming in my yard.
           I got to the library, if you want the big event of the day. What a pity America has an entire layer of uneducated, inconsiderate people who talk in the libraries as loudly as they would on a street corner. Slope-headed sub-humans, really. Or the ones who bring their kids in to run wild. Both the parent (always a single woman) and kid need to be slapped on a leash. Such people can predicate my mood for the day. Anyway, I was investigating the report by Berners-Lee, who is finally agreeing with this blog that the Internet has been morphed into something he never intended.
[Photo delayed]
           It took the guy twenty years to speak up, but then, as far as we know the guy has not yet learned how to type and use punctuation. What? You say it is not necessary to know how to type to program a computer? Yeah, well I say that anyone who does not have the self-discipline to learn to type has no business programming in the first place. It’s too exact a science when done right. While the Internet was supposed to diversify and keep users anonymous except by choice, it has become what Berners-Lee refers to as data silos. A dominance by servers keeping private information in large single locations.
           This centralized data was always a problem for privacy, though I believe if the Internet had not been invented in it’s current form, the bad guys would have found some way to connect their computers anyway. Centralized data and instant connectivity causes a condition called “privacy defeatism”. People like my own ex-cardiologist think it okay to basically hand out private medical information because everybody is on file anyway. He had no inkling of the vast amount of social resistance that exists.

           There is a huge new trend toward privacy, but a type of directed privacy that’s hard to define because it is relatively new. Significantly, it’s a measure of how complacent Americans are that this privacy movement surfaced in Europe instead of here. You may not follow such things, and actually I don’t either except at the shallow technical level of my early training with software. What I got most from that education was to mistrust people with computers. They cannot be depended on to do the right things, especially those indoctrinated to believe all people are equal. They will also, as a consequence, believe everybody is as basely motivated as they are. Every other motive, no matter how honorable, becomes ulterior. Take a look at the cloud.
           The drift in sentiment toward the cloud is that those like myself who do not use it have something to hide. That is the perpetual accusation of the abuser and the dirty cop. If you don’t answer his questions while he’s trying to shaft you, it is because he’s on to you. But did you know the original concept of the cloud was supposed to be on-line privacy. The creators fully understood the potential for data abuse. The data for a single file was supposed to be dispersed into innocuous packets all over the Internet so that snooping became an impossibly complicated task.

           The initial challenge to storing files in snippets was the overhead required by the owner to reassemble them, which was one of the original motives for encryption studies. The code had to easily locate the packets, but make it as impossible as possible for the bad guys to do the same. Instead, the very architecture of the ISP providers worked toward keeping data in single locations. I warned about this around 1995, that it would become irresistible to such people to start exploiting that information simply because it was convenient to do so. The nature of how these files are kept makes it one big cookie jar.

Picture of the day.
Professional apologizers.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Here’s the photo that convinced me how little research was actually conducted into good hotdog locations. This is an enlargement from my video of the business or lack of it during last Wednesday’s observation. I recognized this logo, “PJ’s” as an outfit from Ft. Lauderdale. They had catered one of the building parties at my old job. The signal is clear. Good locations are so rare that they are driving out here from the east coast. The only part of the new business that has worked out as planned is the way I’m learning all this information first-hand.


           By late afternoon, my knee still stopped me from getting under the house again, but it is coming to that. It won’t take long, since only four wires need moving to accommodate the location of the new sub-panel. No cutting or drilling, this flexibility was always part of my design. My knee isn’t a constant bother, I didn’t mean to sound like that. It more like prevented me for getting motivated. Actually it only hurts at a certain position, but that was enough to get me sitting down instead of working.

           And I’m not that used to sitting around. So as not to waste too much time, I learned a bass run from the 1970s. I think it was the 70s. The ending of Albert Hammond’s “Down By The River” is a long solo make up of basic triad notes. This learning is akin to piano exercises but they come in handy to cause distraction when you get some lead guitarist showing off too much. Hammond was a reverse-Hippie, the rich kid who never got his teeth fixed and sang free concerts. The type that missed the boat and tried to jump back on afterward. Grew their hair long after their teens instead of before.
           Other than the headlight on the scooter blinking out again, today was what I traditionally thought every day would be like once retired. I didn’t care for it. I always did spend lots of time in the library but today came dangerously close to being there simply because there was nothing else to do. The consolation prize for me is that if I’ve got nothing to do, what must retirement, or even a day off, be like for the do-nothings of the world? That’s a rhetorical question. If I really wanted to know about sitting around all day because of having no hobbies, no interests, and no chance of acquiring any, I’d ask my brothers.

ADDENDUM
           It’s not as though I ignored my soon to be $700 sub-panel. I thought through the changes to be made once I decided on the location. My receptacle arrangement of an outlet every six feet instead of twelve, and two extra receptacles at four-foot height near any potential desk locations has already proven inadequate. That’s fourteen duplex receptacles (28 plug-ins) per room minimum and it isn’t enough. I already have a couple of power bars in operation. Let me take inventory of the work station that is mostly home to this blog.

                      Computer
                      Monitor
                      Desk Clock
                      Scanner
                      External DVD
                      Desk Lamp
                      Printer
                      Amplifier
                      Speaker
                      Speaker Amp
                      Desk Fan
                      Cell phone Charger
                      Battery Charger
                      Laptop Charger
                      Radio
                      External IDE Drive
                      External Sata Drive

           And for that matter, I have a small practice amp, a large floor fan, and a pencil sharpener nearby. That’s along the east wall alone. And I have not yet opened my hobby boxes from the move two years ago. Did you know that electrical companies once thought that only each fourth house would have electricity, and even then, only in one room. You already know from this blog that they further planned to charge different rates for electricity depending on if the socket was wall or ceiling mounted. But did you know that’s why old Sears catalogs are a riot of appliances and adaptors to get around that nonsense?

Last Laugh

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
           x
margin-bottom: 1em; margin-right: 1em; margin-top: 1em; margin-left: 1em;