Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, February 7, 1982

February 7, 1982


           A sunny and very rare clear day--the ocean was blue. The place looked like summer, one zillion Canucks (Canadians) doing their thing. I remember when there were wild horses in the back yard, and now look. Condominium foundations. It will all be gone soon.

           I was curious to find the largest landowner in our little five square miles is a developer from NVAN. Presently he owns 20% of the land and he's been selling out for years. It's a mite perturbing that I can drive to work in the morning and see a teenage kid waiting for the bus with more ski equipment on his back than was spent on my entire university education.

           Speaking of that, RofR graduates in a couple of months. Bet he'll be glad I just talked to him. This recession thing is, I think, just beginning to surface. He pointed out the last one, in around 1974, wasn't as bad since people could borrow their way out of it due to low interest rates.

           Oh, this jerk couple from the Breakers--shack-ups to be precise, got front page coverage for opening a 2-bit restaurant in a weekend bar. It's the usual--she's beautiful and he needs his head punctured. That again shows the need for travel, tho. He met her in Hawaii where he admits he hired her for her looks. Nice body on her, too bad it's wasted on him. I don't know him personally, but he really thinks he's something.

           [Author's note 2023: this entry was edited for spelling and the picture added. I'm guessing this was Pt. Roberts, and this picture was added later for looks. It is the first 757 flight, which took place on the 19th or so. Those condos were never built, as Canada was indicating they would change the Sunday liquor laws, which eventually bankrupted the Pt. Roberts tourist trade.
           I was 40 years ahead of the times spotting that those few landowners in North Vancouver would wind up owning most of the real estate in the entire Fraser Valley. North Van is a ski resort, I only ever drove there once. I don't know what became of the restaurant, I moved away within a year. I now know that all restaurant owners think they are really something. If they mean for pocketing the cash, they sure are.
           Once again, this post seems transcribed from a calendar, so expect loose ends.]