Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, January 29, 2019

January 29, 2019

Yesteryear
One year ago today: January 29, 2018, on A.I.
Five years ago today: January 29, 2014, salesmen with degrees . . .
Nine years ago today: January 29, 2010, the hippie "solos".
Random years ago today: January 29, 2007, a $39,000 misfile.

           Cold. And I don't much like it. When did I last such live in such a climate? Probably forty years, with no regrets. I brought along my fleece blanket, so I slept like a log. I don't know the area to the north and west of here, but according to the Internet, that's the area of focus for now. It's the old winding roads that still get me. The biggest disappointment so far is the nearest Dunkin is nearly five miles away. This will never do, I'll seek an alternative. Even with my best winter jacket & gloves, I still felt chilly inside even the warmest places. I remember this kind of cold from Montana, like 1979.
           Drop back this evening, I think we are going for din-din. If it was up to me, I'd find a good salad bar, but it isn't up to me. I have more memories of how even in a nicely heated place, the walls are still cold enough to radiate cold. It seems chilly to me even walking around in sweater. I moved my chair to where the sunbeams cam through the curtains, the opposite of what you'd do in Florida.

           Yep, most of the shops and services nearby are in an area I've only driven through. And not in the best part of town. I confirmed that dropping in at the Nashville Public Library on Kay, Hermitage Branch. Actually, I should have guessed that because it never was the best part of town. It's got a research section maybe a foot long and they let the local crazies hang out there. I'm not keen on strangers asking me how my day is going in the men's room. Nope, I will find me a much classier place shortly.
           I'm sorry, but the chill in the air has me inside at every opportunity. Dinner just got postponed a couple hours, so it will be night again. Cold and more cold. I'm in the coffee shop earlier and I had a lady take a couple photos of me bundled up for the cold. She's kind of harsh looking with a kid in tow and asks me what I do. I said I am an entertainer. This is a good baiting question and she feel for it. Oh, she says, I was an entertainer, too. Where was that I asked. She said Las Vegas. I did not ask her what instrument she played.

Picture of the day.
Tub at the Walserhof.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Dinner at Las Palmas. It reminded me of Los Angeles in 1991, when good old David J. always wanted to go for gourmet Mexican food while I, having been in Mexico more than he had, would question if there is any such thing. Anyway, I had these spinach wraps with a salty, spicy cheese. Somemight say too salty, but it was delicious. We were all dressed up and I forgot to take a family photo. The serving was three spinach wraps, I could only finish one, and Robynette had this veggie dish I could not identify. Lots of leftovers there as well.
           I got here to discover the computer equipment won't handle my bank files, something I have to keep a tight reign on when I travel. This tablet won't handle spreadsheets except by uploading them and I doubt anybody would be that stupid. Ah, I hear a voice from the peanut gallery, that millions of people do it every day. I wonder, is it those same millions who, ten years ago, did not listen to my warnings about Facebook? The ones who just now are waking up to smell the coffee?


           That's going to mean some long hours in the library while I reconstruct the books. It's only around a hundred transactions, but they are important ones, involving, over the time period, a lotta lotta money. So if you are expecting tales of wild Nashville nightlife, you may have to wait a few days yet. Still, Nashville is a break from my routine so I'm considering using the spare time to key enter some of the hand-written journals. Tell you what, right now I'd do February 1, 1982. That's 37 years ago, a different lifetime, a different world.
           Digital pictures were extremely rare, but if I find anything relevant in the albums, I'll scan them for you. On top of that, it is trick to resist the temptation to ad explanatory comments to each post. Taken literally, they sound so odd sometimes.
I've entered these notes before and it loses a lot. There are things written in a way that can't be typed out, and of course, the material was never meant to be posted. I don't know what it was meant for, actually, and much of what I wrote seems trite and obvious, so consider the spirit of the times. I had just left the farm and was in my first big city with my first fancy job, and I was ten years older and ten years behind everybody else in my position.

           In the top event of this afternoon, I finally took a prying tool and removed that oversized and useless caps lock button off this tablet. The bastard-rat millennials put it right next to the left shift key to maximize your number of errors. They put the key where it looked pretty, you get that from people who can type with only two fingers or two thumbs but not both.

ADDENDUM
           Here's another million-dollar idea yours for free. It's not ideas that are in short supply around here. I was pondering muzzle brakes. These are the recoil compensators on the end of some gun barrels. Their purpose is to redirect some of the exhause gas pressure to lessen recoil or barrel rotation. I watch around three videos and it dawned on me this device has never been improved on. Yet we know that no matter how stringent the ammunition manufacture and barrel tolerances can be, there must be a slight variation between shots.
           Since every eentsy improvement would help in the artillery, why doesn't somebody invent a series of sensors that could adjust the performance of the brake to increase accuracy. From the videos, I see that speed is not a challenge, and I recognize the working parts have to be very durable. So the sooner you start, the better. For that matter, I heard each shell costs $20,000 or just use and Arduino let it explode in the process.

           I was talking with Elliot again, the guy who wants to live on the Isle of Wight. He reports that last month London had more murders than New York City. But, like our chickenshit media, they will not mention that it is mostly non-white crime. Why, these immigrants are misunderstood, we should let more of them in so they'll feel more at home, say the lefties. Today's last laff is what Abbey Road probably looks like today.

Last Laugh