Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, October 3, 2019

October 3, 2019

Yesteryear
One year ago today: October 3, 2018, 24 new circuits.
Five years ago today: October 3, 2014, finish your grits.
Nine years ago today: October 3, 2010, inspired banter.
Random years ago today: October 3, 2003, I quit.

           I admit it, these are slow times. The big events of these days often turn on chickens and turtles, but anything is better than a wasted day. It was all morning in Winter Haven forgetting my tablet behind. You can read about my trip to Miami over the past four days. The high point of the journey was a room full of line-dancing women in regulation cut-offs. I’m seeing that activity in a new light now that I’ve noticed it appeals most to women who are height-weight proportionate. You know what I mean. JZ was agape, but then he goes and plays pool. I’ll play billiards the day Taylor leans over with a billiard cue.
           It’s not clear if JZ will start hanging around that place instead of Churchill’s, which is no longer a fun place, or worse, there’s a bar in North Miami where the drinks are cheapest in town. True, but they also get raided regularly and a lot of cash changes hands in their parking lot. My rule of thumb is pay extra if it helps you stay near home. But did I ever say how his kitchen stove belongs in a museum? I’ve offered to drive it to the recycle. If the Reb saw that stove, she’d help, too. Then again, she’s English. A race whose customs are based more on custom than common sense.
           Here is the best shot yet of the pet Oasis, which is where I’ll be touring tomorrow. Hurricane Dorian left a lot of homeless pets and the luckiest of them are now in the Punta Gorda animial shelter. There, they will be vaccinated, neutered, and quarantined, then put up for adoption. For a big dog, the fee is $220 and on down from there. The Oasis is entered by an overhead, well, it’s a catwalk. You can just see it as a small grey square at the top of the last small flight of stairs in the upper right.

           According to the overhead at Sav-A-Lot, this is national pizza month. I starved up twelve hours so I could have three slices. That’s 5-cheese, far from my favorite of ham & pineapple. I’m informed that gastrozombies don’t like Hawaiian style, or pineapple at all. Probably because those are not artificially flavored ingredients. I forgot the phone on the charger, how nice of the Reb to be calling in to check on me. I usually let her know when I arrive. This time, I zonked for twelve hours, an odd effect from most times I travel. One week from today, October 10th, is World Mental Health Day. I wonder how the Hippie is getting along. And let’s not forget Ken Sanchuk, Jorge Ramos, and the DMV on their special day.

           America. My long-term readers know that a gap in posting usually means travel. Strange, how in America, supposedly a modern country, it is not possible to guarantee I’ll be able to post reliably from the road. I must find a provider partially because I can’t log on with just any computer. The assholes at Google will lock me out of my account. I was in Winter Haven partially to buy a new microwave. The only brand name was Panasonic, which I dislike. Microwave controls rank up there with GPS for the worst in millennial programming. Panasonics regularly go into a mode where none of the buttons work right and no single reset function works every time. Millennial C+ control panels are the real reason nuclear submarines go missing.

Picture of the day.
Balloon factory.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           The Miami trip has put me four days behind schedule and tomorrow will make it five if I get to Punta Gorda. It’s a special occasion, and a chance to have brunch with Alaine. Plus, that excellent church Thrift is open Fridays, if I recall. I can’t shake the grogginess from the trip, I went out to Bartow for coffee and still feel like I was piling lumber instead of sitting in the car most of the day. Which brought another item into focus.
           That thermostat that was so expensively repaired in Cheyenne less than a year ago has gone again. Along with a hose. It’s a simple sequence. The thermostat sticks, the water pressure builds until the hose springs a leak. With any luck, I can repair it myself. Then who should I meet but that new waitress from downtown, can’t place her name.

           Small-town pretty, which I happen to find very attractive, she likes me. But it’s that situation where I can’t tell if it might just be fascination or a sense of security because I’m not like the others. And I’ve said that in far larger places than central Florida. And lots of Florida is built on piles of seashells over millions of years. The ones that lay on the surface are often collected for this type of yard display. This is at Alaine’s place. While the shells are plentiful, this represents hours of collecting only the best.
           I returned home after dark to discover that over the years, I no longer own an alarm clock. My battery models all quit, the radio units are too finicky to program, the phone lens is cracked exactly over the relevant digit, and my once reliable Wextclox is now a paperweight. I trusted instinct that I would wake up at 5:30AM by default.

ADDENDUM
           Now past the half-way mark of “Book of the Dead” and they are still introducing new characters. Also, on the audio-book, “Saving the World”, the smallpox expedition has fallen on hard times as in a flash of historical accuracy, each governor, viceroy, or other useless bastard in the political system the Spanish use, has tried to grab the glory for themselves by using the English vaccine. I find it fascinating in a way, because it is a situation I’ve known since I was a child. The parallel here is that the others do the inoculations and treat the arriving expedition like so what.
           Here is where it gets familiar. Yes, they copied only the easy part. They forgot or didn’t know to set up clinics to treat new cases, or labs to keep the strain alive for future epidemics, or manage a supply of carriers or create any way to treat the outlying areas. Yessir, I know a lot about this type.
           For today’s DVD, I found “Cold Mountain”, a movie that impressed me at the time. So long ago, Renee Z was actually still good-looking in an unpolished sort of way and Jude Law was carrying on the one-character acting career in the vein of Bob Denver, Eddie Albert, and Jim Nabors. It has those Ivanho scenes where coincidences happen all over the place when you cut cross-country. And ravenous war widows, my god, everywhere you look.

Last Laugh