Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, November 28, 2019

November 28, 2019

Yesteryear
One year ago today: November 28, 2018, it’s called tarpaper.
Five years ago today: November 28, 2014, remember Mars Direct?
Nine years ago today: November 28, 2010, 1100-page cookbook?
Random years ago today: November 28, 2008, even if it’s true . . .

           Nothing like the right gal to get me walking three miles in the cold. This is that sort of park area north of Lebanon Pike. I think it was a gold course or something that eventually got surrounded by cookie cutter housing and they left this green area. The dogs bee-lined for this abandoned pump shack, interesting that it is a log cabin. Agt. M would be in paradise over that. There was a ton of derelict equipment inside including breakers and switches. It had been picked over but nothing like in Florida, where there’d be three families squatted there and the paint stolen off the walls. The landscape is bleak, shown nearby, winter came early this year.
           We talked over logistics, it seems I’m due for an extra trip back next month, a visit where I’m to attend some special celebration I’m guaranteed to absolutely love. That’s a tall order around me but one that can’t be ignored. I’ve been watching for an investment for some time now. I’m quite serious when I mention the impending inflation. The economic recovery under Trump is only that, a recovery and not to be confused with advancement. It also means ever more money is circulating. This recover would probably have to last no less than twenty years to make any real difference to the infrastructure.

           Yes, I notice the small printed error on this photo. My watermark process is not perfect, so I have quite a matching set. Back to financing, like most Americans, I would like some small working and paying event where I could start with a little and add to it over time until it pays enough to offset price increases. The snag is there has been no such vehicle available in America in more than my lifetime. You need more than the average person’s life-time of savings ability to even break into most investments. This is not the America of 1950. Every possible avenue of advancement for most workers has been franchised, capitalized, and industrialized. I cannot name you a single investment where you could accumulate any reasonable wealth in a reasonable time span.
           The Reb and I went over this because there is another quirk in the system. It is designed around that unrelenting fact that the common man has nobody that he can really trust. There is not such thing as a corporation, a stockbroker, a banker, a preacher, a lawyer, a neighbor, or a boy scout that you can trust in this country. It is largely this way because most of the ways these people let you down is under the jurisdiction civil law. They know they won’t be arrested for breach of promise and your only recourse against them is a lengthy and expensive court battle that you could easily lose if they wear the right facial expressions. If they are a minority and so is the judge, you are sunk.

           Don’t underestimate this brutal condition of everyday life. For all you might see painted in the media about America being an open, liberal society, there are thousands of special interest groups who’ve learned that collective complaining pays more than most jobs they could ever get. Nor is American a business free-for-all. There are limits on everything from club formation, even the number of people that can legally form a club. Any type of collective could get you strung up for selling shares or running a lottery with out a license. The best remaining odds are to get in on the ground floor of an entirely new industry before it becomes regulated. Prime example is the Internet, but even this is highly risky behavior. You only ever hear about the winners—and most of them were cheats and thieves.

Picture of the day.
Idaho potato field
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Instead of traditional dinner, we took the afternoon off. We’ve been semi-planning to see the movie “Adams Family” since early October. The only matinee was over in Franklin, a bit of a drive. That gave us the entire movie theater and most of the freeway to ourselves. Most areas associate Thanksgiving with staying home, but over time there is an increasing tendency to go out for the dinner. Just not around here. For all its top ratings, the movie was a disappointment. We were expecting a hilarious animated comedy based on the TV series and it is nothing of the kind.
           The movie had one theme, that white people are intolerant of minorities. Start to end, that message is pounded home in every scene and it is boring after the first twenty minutes. By that time, your mind is saying, “Okay, we fucking get it.” Each character is based not on a monster, but some sort of chronically cranky faction. The father monster was Mexican, the mother monster was anorexic, the grandmother was Jewish, be son was fat, oh how they are constantly suffering. The entire town of white people hates them because they are “afraid” of them. it’s a worn out liberal routine. That made the movie a bit of a burn. The tickets, popcorn, and two drinks set us back $66 to be subjected to that stale baloney.
           Having said that, they did about as much with the movie as possible with that theme. I do not recommend it unless you love non-stop bleeding heart propaganda. The bottom line is this movie is not entertainment and is not meant to be.
           We left from there and made a bee-line for the nearest lounge, to find everything closed. This should not surprise you, as the Reb and I have only gone out drinking (as opposed to a meal with drinks) maybe six times in our lives. Remember the Rebar, one of the first pubs I found in this area? It was open and imagine my surprise to find out the Reb plays pool. I did not know that. For the first time in my life, I played a pool game start to finish. Then, two more. I lost. Then, she got me to play darts. Other than therapy for my shoulder, the fun part of the game was her one-on-one coaching. The game is okay but I can’t see myself doing it under many other circumstances.
           Wait, there’s more. She had me dancing and playing this odd bowling game. My gosh, she is corrupting little old me. I had fun, the first step to depravity, they say. What’s to become of me? We may go there again, since they have good live entertainment, the place is recently redone and if it ever was a smoking bar, she can tall but I can’t. As for patrons, it is a working class east Nashville mediocrity at best, a haven for regulars, the wannabe cowboy version of Cheers.

Last Laugh