Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, November 28, 2018

November 28, 2018

Yesteryear
One year ago today: November 28, 2017, Miami traffic.
Five years ago today: November 28, 2013, my NOR gate.
Nine years ago today: November 28, 2009, 2nd top visited post.
Random years ago today: November 28, 2014, when you see it.

           It’s looking like one of those generic days over here, and it is only 5:35AM.
           Bitter cold again, it slows up my early morning efforts, then again, it makes the days nice and balmy. But it ain’t morning for many more hours. I tried to work in the front bedroom slash music room and quickly put on some coffee to head back in here. Even insulated, both heaters barely keep the place tolerable. I need to make a plan.
           And that plan is, we go to the coffee shop until the lumber yard opens, and bring back some of that building material that was unknown in Florida until it was far too late. It’s called tarpaper. I’ve lined all the interior walls with it and it cut out the draftiness just fine. I need some quiet crossword puzzle time anyway. The Great Trek West of 2018 was an eventful and, I suspect, fateful journey, most of which is just not blog material. This is a daily log, not a soap opera.

           However, a possible similarity [to TV drama] is arising. That is monetizing this work. While I have stated conditions under which I would [advertise], that was before an old acquaintance popped up claiming to be a wizard at doing just that. Being that the blog was supposed to end long ago, I’m feeling less restricted by the original premises. I balk at mass or intrusive advertising while fully admitting that is the only brand that today’s people understand. Is compromise even possible?
           I would accept the standing offer that for $1,000 per incident I will mention your company name once at the end of the blog. With other conditions such as one mention per month, maximum. I would not know what to do with $30,000 per month, but I know plenty of people who’d help me figure it out.

           Next thing, my space heater quits working. That’s the butane camp model, and it has only been used maybe 200 hours. Shown here is the heater and a pencil nib showing the corroded thermostat. This is potentially a home repair, but the likelihood of finding the replacement part, I dunno. It means at least a trip to where ever they sell these. I opened the housing and was not too sure this could be done without taking a couple of hours anyway. Thus, time to replace the heater. Every year I think it won’t get this cold and every year I’m wrong.


           I hauled out the electric blanket and sandwiched it between two fleece covers, the idea setting for this type of damp cool weather. It’s not a substitute for a warm woman, but it is easier on the bankbook.

Picture of the day.

Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Oh boy, I get to put up some tarpaper. Yeah, I left part of the bathroom wall bare to the studs. This makes the plumber’s job easier, but leaves the wall open. So, anticipating the guitar player will show up, I’ll make the room a bit more habitable. He has not yet sent any promo photos so I’ve got ten bucks says he’s old and bald. Any takers? Continuing with the music room, it is now tarpapered and the work bench moved back four feet. Again, it is temporary, as the electrical and insulation is not complete. I’ll start on that, this being the special soundproofing material.
           Here’s a photo of the work bench now moved back against the tarpapered wall. It seals the room a bit for heat as well, though my tiny electric heater barely makes a difference when it’s like this. I’m calling it a day. Six hours of puttering when I’m supposed to be relaxing every day. This scene is meant to be covered by a light framework and some tarps acting as drapes to keep the work dust from the music room. The electric still has to be finished in that area, which could take another week.

           Next, I get a latter from the Pam, the lady who sold me the camper. I’d written her a postcard describing the demise of the unit and she was dismayed as much that it only lasted the one trip, as that she would not be receiving future reports of the travels. I wrote back, with a ton of pictures explaining the camper saw more adventure and drama on this one trip than most people get in half a lifetime. These campers rarely last 5,000 miles and this one did nearly 7,000. I assured her with photos that it was not abandoned at the first tiny repair.
           I listed the places it had stopped for breakfast and got her photos of the camper in Nashville, St. Louis, Denver, Cheyenne, Seattle, Castle Rock and other photos of the snowstorms and dust. This was an epic journey and the camper saved me twice its cost in the few times I crashed. For me, the loss was much less, as I found the camper to be less well designed than my own out of plywood. And if I build another, it will have 14” tires, or thereabouts.

Last Laugh
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++