Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, February 21, 2020

February 20, 2020

Yesteryear
One year ago today: February 20, 2019, I would curb judges.
Five years ago today: February 20, 2015, generic instructions, argh!
Nine years ago today: February 20, 2011, at the art festival.
Random years ago today: February 20, 2013, $50 million. Cool.

           A bitterly cold overnight, so much that I canceled any work on my place and drove to Macon, GA. I'm on the road so you may get this report in fragments, maybe the wrong order. Blame Google. I’ll get you the hourly trip format later. It was 6.5 hours to the Wal*Mart Arms. I ask permission in case of Titusville-like city corruption, and asked for the quietest and safest part of th elot. She said over by the trees but, “There ain’t no safe place in Macon.”
           I didn’t know that. She said lock my door and I’ll be fine. The lot is camera-patrolled and very well lit. And several miles from downtown. Always watch for that. I see the feds are again pushing for encryption backdoors. Be afraid. This allows them to read anybody’s mail, which removes the vital “presumption of innocence” and defeats the very purpose of encryption. You’d think with all their resources and the, um, system that they have already set up, they have all the access they really already need to your privacy. Once you’ve got the DMV, what do you need people’s text files for?
           This is a photo of that hidden valley in southern Tennessee. It’s from tomorrow, so this is your sneak preview.

           I had trouble finding a spot in Macon with Internet service. How far back in the boonies am I? The one thing for sure around here is that college women weigh twice what they did in my day. Saved by my Cool_Pad, even if it does have the dreaded nerd underscore in its moniker. It was early enough to drive downtown and I passed a row of excellently restored old houses. But it was dark and cold, so I cruised a few streets, avoiding the joints with $10 cover charges. It’s interesting, mind you, to see how many people will unquestionly pay it if you put up a little sign.
           The whole trip was cold and drizzly. Nothing new to report, really, and the last two hours was in total darkness, not even the odd roadside farmhouse. It's easy to forget how huge and uninhabited most of America still is. I’ve never driven this on a Friday night before. Thank goodness I brought enough audio books. Nothing on the radio except preachers, Democrats, and static. I can’t figure how NPR calls itself “public” when their coverage is anti-Trump. Wow, they fear him that much?

Picture of the day.
Chain mail bathing suit.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           I drove into Macon, Georgia, in the dark. I don’t remember any of the town, though I was here just six or so years ago by sidecar. I didn’t have any GPS at that time so I likely drove to where the oldest roads in town took me. This time I went past some fantastic restored mansions. Sorry, it was too dark for pics. I found the Wal*Mart Arms, I always ask permission. She said park by the trees. I asked if it was safe and she said, “There are no safe places in Macon.”
           I didn’t know that. Crime is very unevenly reported in American media. I drove downtown and found an area with lots of clubs. The first one I tried wanted a $10 cover charge, I kept looking. A few blocks away there was a well-lit place with no sign out front. It looked like a college crowd, so I walked and yup, I was the oldest person in the place. And no Internet, I had to use my mobile device. This drew plenty attention. Was it the device or surprise that somebody born in the middle of the last century was using one?
           There was a lot of politics being discussed. It was funny in a way because you could almost tell by looking which ones support Bernie. My server was past college age and took a shine to me by mid-evening, but that’s all. When I went to leave she asked me what I thought of the place. My reply was the place is great, but the college women of today are 35 to 40 pounds heavier than in my time. She thought for a second and said, “You’re not wrong about that.”

Last Laugh