Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, February 21, 2020

February 21, 2020

Yesteryear
One year ago today: February 21, 2019, logging my roof.
Five years ago today: February 21, 2015, that $400 typo.
Nine years ago today: February 21, 2011, nothing I cannot offer . . .
Random years ago today: February 21, 2014, Class A, Class B.

           The trip is nicer spread over two days. Six hours driving becomes seven because I make regular stops. I learned to hate GPS and it was especially buggersome this trip. I left Macon in a biting cold, the first real freezing temperatures I’ve been through west of the Appalachians. I stopped for coffee and would have stopped more but according to GPS towns like Cagley, TN do not exist. I wanted to stop for coffee in Soddy-Daisy just because of the name and found myself in a rural area with no town at all. The GPS voice announces “arriving Soddy-Daisy” while I’m passing woodlots and a church locked up for the day. Here's your photo of downtown Soddy-Daisy, TN.
           That’s another thing the GPS screwed up, the way that voice makes phonetic pronunciation, it’s so bad even native speakers have a hard time with it. This is the first time I’ve driven though most of this area in the morning. Highway 27 an 111 is definitely the scenic route, but remains a mystery what such a big highway is doing in the middle of nowhere. It’s four-lane and divided, but suffers long stretches of unexplained 55 mph speed zones. Newer than the Interstate system, but you can’t do 70mph. Strange,

           TMOR, the Interstate highway is an American copy of the autobahn, but messed up royally. From the beginning, the Americans put off-ramps into the cities, rather than to secondary roads leading to the city. In Germany, you have to leave the Autobahn to a connecting route to get to a city. In America, they built the off-ramps right into city centers. In no time at all, the locals were using the Interstate freeways to commute to work, and the resulting traffic jams have only exceeded when the Chinese made the same mistakes.
           The other Americanism is the freeways instantly became a source of revenue for local police forces handing out speeding tickets. A real Autobahn has no speed limits (there are limits in specials areas, but in general 80+ mph is normal). Like Internet, Autobahn is a proper noun and thusforth always capitialized.

           I’m avoiding the standard hourly reports for this leg of the journey. It’s recorded on cassettes, which I’ll transcribe for you if anything interesting plays back. I was talking a lot of politics and some red-assing about the liberal sickness that infects the American way of life and how Trump is quite the antidote.
           Damn, I dislike these Android touchscreens that you cannot disable. I grabbed a coffee near Dalton (that name that keeps appearing) and sat near the door. It was freezing so I grabbed the tablet to move when a chair freed up at the counter. I picked it up wrong and by the time I sat down, it had opened 400+ instances of my browser. Now, If that ain’t millennial, I don’t know what is.

Picture of the day.
Banned Indonesian tobacco ad.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Whoops, there is a segment missing here, but the post stays as is. It's written, but I can't find it. Days later, still can't find it. So here is a picture of shrimp frying in butter and seafood sauce. Dig in.


Last Laugh