Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, March 12, 2020

March 12, 2020

Yesteryear
One year ago today: March 12, 2019, you know these guys.
Five years ago today: March 12, 2015, the proud artifact.
Nine years ago today: March 12, 2011, but this hodgepode is mine.
Random years ago today: March 12, 2005, Cinco de Ocho.

           Cloudy and warm, enough for the boys and I to spend the day in the yard. That’s the two doggies and the turtle. Days like this, I could live in Tennessee. I worked on a small tool box and edited some video. I’m sending samples to the inner circle for peer reviews. The stark comparison is this show compared to what I do when playing bass only. I’ve got a long ways to go with my solo act and I’ve quite aware of the mistakes. I make them part of the show. Is that important.
           Yes, because this act is targeting a market niche that has a chance in Florida, but elsewhere I can’t say. As before, I’m after the mid-grade solo guitarist circuit. The logic is simple, above a certain plateau, the local guitar players begin to play at the audiences instead of for them. I’ve seen no exceptions to this rule evident in several years now. Once they get musically good, they become heads-downs and lose a lot of their former crowd appeal. It’s a mistake I never make. Notice: this blog is turtle-approved.

           The hours needed for the workup is tiring. I’m already expanding my list to present a variety that’s difficult for a guitarist to attempt I’m not limited by any style or technique the way guitar players tend toward a style. I’ve got wider options and I’m pushing that to the hilt. Like I said, I shy from anything too easily duplicated and here’s the catch. My presentation would be a real task to copy on bass, but a guitarist could easily do what I’m doing. He’d be an insult to the trade at best. However, that has never stopped them before.
           Another chapter in the French archeologist book still reveals no plot, other than the former occupants’ uniform, hat, and shoes do not fit the new guy. My suspicion is now that this book is humor. If so, that is not only lost in the translation, it is abandoned and set adrift on some distant corner of the planet. I don’t doubt that the terrible Revolution, right down to this day, has lasting mental repercussions over what the French dare to laugh at. Myself, I may not be able to take much more of this hilarity.

Picture of the day.
Pussy Riot band in Russian prison.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Asking for feedback on my act, I’m getting it. They love my bass playing, not so much my stab at harmonies. I see the pattern alright enough, this is a repeat of how I learned regular singing. Up to now, I’ve been doing the harmonies with equal volume and strength as the originals. This may not be the optimum, having the two voices at equal levels. You can thank the heavy influence of Abba for that. I’m going to tone it town to see what effect it has. For one, it would be somewhat easier on me. In my mind, I have an urgency to keep the audience from focusing that they are listening to largely recorded material.
           So when I say the dogs and I walked for two hours this evening, I’m really saying that is the amount of deep thought put into this venture. Do I sing more softly, or sing the same and turn the microphone down? Or move it further away? My self-imposed deadline on this is Sunday, April 5. Ready or not, I’ll find some place that would rather have the show than another lame Karaoke or another pukey DJ.

           Here’s the area north on Mt Juliet. The place really got flattened by that tornado. While I sympathize with those that got hit, as usual the US government and many charitiable agencies are going about things the wrong way. The government offers help to people with too little or no home insurance. And the charities set up food kitchens.
           Great, huh? No. Once again the government is encouraging sloth. This emboldens people to skip paying for home insurance and get rewarded for it. When you drive past the food kitchens and see the people lined up for a free meal, you say to yourself, hold on. The tornadoes didn’t rip through any ethnic neighborhoods. You know what I’m talking about.

           [Author's note: TMOR, an HOA is a "home owners association". It's like a small governing body that in too many neighborhoods can come around and tell you what color you can or cannot paint your fence, or even if you can have a fence. Over time, they all become greedy, power-hungry, and corrupt.
           While some regulation is needed, I believe the only guiding rule should be that you cannot do anything unsafe or anything that lowers the value of your neighbor's property. Housing that has no HOA commands a premium selling price in America, a sure sign they are doing a bad job.]


Last Laugh
(HOA required fence.)