Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, April 23, 2020

April 22, 2020

Yesteryear
One year ago today: April 22, 2019, the marigolds never returned.
Five years ago today: April 22, 2015, her husband’s patent bullet.
Nine years ago today: April 22, 2011, a diminuitive black lady.
Random years ago today: April 22, 2007, to the flea market.

           Phooey again on the Internet, no help at all. Tons of amateurish low-efforts like planting a tree that takes twenty years to grow. Now, you know it isn’t older people posting this shit because they don’t likely embrace the technology, but would be ashamed to come across so simple-minded. In the end, I came up with my own idea, so thanks for nothing, world wide web. Here is my purple martin condo. It took all morning and you can see the one hole being repaired. It would not be a DIY unless there was one such mistake. Note the angled piece. That will look like it is behind the roof contour, but is actually resting on it. The height with roof (not shown) will be 16”, more than enough to block casual viewing from the street.
           Construction is, you guessed it, cedar fence panels. The neighbor was over again. He’s concluded I can build these without planning. Making it look easy must be a hold-over from my bass playing. No planning, my eye. He doesn’t see the complicated mental sketching that goes on. And I still have not decided how this will be mounted. Right on the roof creates other snags, but a separate pole gets complicated and somewhat expensive.

           The guitar player from a month ago sent a message. Did I mention this guy? A typical guitarist, he won’t say it but he wants a backup band, the bigger the better. That’s a non-starter in Polk as we have learned several times over. Guitarists don’t like duos it would seem, the second musician doesn’t “add enough” for their expectations. Until they meet me, but it’s not exactly like every one of them appreciates it. The way I sell them on a duo is to stress the importance of a strong musical core. Once that is accomplished (that is, once all the hard work is done), the parasites appear crawl out of the woodwork.
           Usually this takes the form of a drummer and a rhythm instrument like guitar or piano. Drumming is a no-brainer and piano players, well, either you let them play all the time or they get antsy. So it becomes my turn to fuss the extra person is less help than hindrance. Either way, I’m about as ready as I’ll ever be to start playing B-rooms. Places that normally don’t have live music, tips only, but I never did like picnics or private parties. That field is so saturated with mediocrity that putting on a decent show hardly moves the needle.

           Ah, I told you the system was using the virus scare as a shakedown. Airbnb my not be the first big player to get stung, but could be the first to implode. While the Airbnb concept was good, the business structure that quickly evolved was not. Sure, some folks are in it to make some cash from a spare bedroom. What quickly appeared was the professional host market. And they quickly made enemies out of the hotel industry and devastated the rental market in many cities. Why rent to some ornery local when you can make several times the amount under the table? Tourists have more money, aren’t Section 8, show up looking for a good time, and don’t boil as much cabbage on weekdays. If you don’t like them, they aren’t staying.
           Plus, there are fewer of those pesky by-laws that say you can’t blacklist the really bad ones. Overall, few people are going to sympathize with anyone who plunged into debt to get in to a market that so quickly lost its roots. For that matter, it could be the shakedown brings the operation back to reality because the mom & pops are most likely to endure. If so, let’s hope it is a microcosm for certain other industries that need their arses kicked.

Picture of the day.
Silicon diode pressure sensor.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           The cyber criminals made off with $16 billion with identity theft in the past twelve months (say NYT) and people still have not clued in about keeping their data private. Now it seems, the fraudsters are swiping stimulus checks. Esperian, the jokers that laughed off the first really big data breach, just lost another three million and said nothing. Folks, these scammers can buy all the information they need to file for your tax returns, sell your house, get a credit card, or divert your mail. Because you gave it to them. I’m amazed by how many sheer nobodies tried to play big shot on Facebook by posting their life history. I think it’s not true that everybody gets their fifteen seconds of fame. Some people give it away for nothing.
           And the dolts at the government are not helping by setting up a complaint line where, to use it, you have to state over an open phone line guess what? Your name, date of birth, and social security number. Duh, fucking duh, fucking duh.

           I was involved in an hour’s chat concerning the Forex trading, which I do NOT recommend. We have not experienced any losses yet and this is significant. I point out once more that I can afford to lose and expect to lose. Guys, the Reb & I are cooperating in a manner known to be historically compatible and synergistic. We brought with us a division of labor and responsibility that is not attainable on short notice. Our approach is “backward” to those who feel they know how to succeed but lack the means. I say again do not try to copy what we are doing at this time.
           I’ve got something to say about music in the same vein. Do I laugh at people who try to copy my act? Darn rights. And I’ll reveal a trade secret about playing bass along with live recordings. Sadly, many really great tunes have studio bass that is tricky to play live. And studio recordings tend to use session bassists whose style all to often does not match the flavor of the tune. For example, the tune “Fireman” by George Strait. The bass line is great while missing the point. It is underkill for a swing-like tune, but goes crazy on the fills and behind the instrumentals. I play a different arrangement but it fits. The secret is knowing which bass notes are compatible with the other guy. My presentation of this tune has both bass lines, the result is far more danceable than the original.

ADDENDUM
           When I was a kid and we finally got a TV, I liked the western “Have Gun—Will Travel”, which I’d like to describe. I thought that was the guy’s name. I could not even hear the word “Paladin” but I always admired how the show was well-written with powerful themes. It was corny to hear him talk all those languages and I only liked the shootin’ parts of the show. A couple years ago, I came into possession of the complete third season and am re-watching them. So far, none are repeats for me. I’m seeing things I never even noticed so long ago.
           First, the Hotel Carlton. I never saw all the gorgeous babes and how they eyeballed Paladin passing on the stairs. Or how he entertained them in his room with champagne and caviar, “the greatest news to come out of Russia since the death of Ivan the Terrible”. Or in his gunfighter outfit, the shirt was always half unbuttoned to show a shaved chest. There are no fat women or child actors (a forgotten lesson), and many classic lines and themes scavenged by Clint Eastwood. Even the title, “Unforgiven” is good old Paladin.

           [Author’s note: Ivan the Terrible is a mistranslation. He was about par with other despots and the correct meaning of the Russian word “grozny” is more like “fear-inspiring”.]

Last Laugh